Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedo cable
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
B-bear604
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Speedo cable Reply with quote

So I’m looking for some advice. The other day we took Yogi out for a run down to Bellingham, a nice 140km trip, first real distance that it has gone since we bought it. Everything went fairly well (a few hiccups with the engine, but going to clean more grounds for that) but the speedometer stopped working on the way back. Read a few posts and figured it was the cable so I ordered a new one. Yesterday I was cleaning up the dash pod trying to trace some lighting issues and I noticed that the cable had fallen off the back of the speedometer. Replaced it and all is fine, but it doesn’t seem to hold on very well.
So the question is should I just replace it when the new one gets here, keep the part for when it does break, or send it back.
Just for reference I have an 86 Wolfsburg Westfalia, originally from California, with the original 2 cable setup still in place.
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the clip is faulty on the original then replace it. If you just didn't have it on there very good before but now it's good then lube it up and run the original (return the other if you wish). Also lube the lower one and check that the square hole in the grease cap is not rounding out. You can pop the cap off and peen around it with a center punch to tighten it if you need, then use a square file to sharpen the corners so the cable end fits. Should be good for a while after that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
B-bear604
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tips, decided to keep the replacement just "in case" figured with shipping to and from wouldn't be worth returning it. If the cable falls off the speedo again I'll see about fixing the clip that holds it on, since it shows no issues when attatched.

Now to figure out my dash lights.....
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps I have also zip tied the speedo cable sheath to a dash part to keep it more secure to the back of the speedo. YMMV. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
B-bear604
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking a zip tie right at the clip maybe with something under it push the tab deeper in the groove.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also,
Those clips are weak by nature, especially on the aftermarket cables. I have wrapped a little bit of electric tape partially around the speedometer nipple and if you just use a little it will keep the cable engaged properly.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Newbie alert - first post)

One of the things I had to fix on the (new to us) Westy yesterday was the intermittent speedo. Yes, the clip had broken off at the speedo end, and it was weakly tied on with ancient electrical tape. So I tweaked a cheapo hose clamp to hold it on securely.

Start with a standard 3/4" hose clamp, open it up, bend the inside end by 90°, cut that end to a point, re-assemble around the end of the speedo cable so that the pointed bit is held in the groove that the broken plastic clip should have been in.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put on a new cable and the first thing that happened was the plastic retainer broke off. My solution was to use silicone in the firewall hole to anchor the cable in place such that it always presses against its socket. Has worked well, stays tight and is easy to get on and off as I upgraded my cluster. No retainer required!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: