Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window frame tweaking. Front doors bind. Side door ? too....
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
If you remove the door panel and loosen the bolts holding the door/glass frame it will pivot in and out a little. I'd go out then tighten and try it. Also is the rear of the door/glass frame fully home downward into the door itself?

Thanks Barry. I'll have to look closer at that when I get a chance. I've been out of town lately and November is going to be relentless in that arena. I hope I get some free time to check that and maybe even tweak the upper frame a bit to see where it gets me. Maybe I can shim out the lower portion of the window frame mount?

Volks, thanks for the heads up on KCW. Had no idea they were over there. Last year I was in GJT about twice a month, would have loved to wander over and check them out. I will next time I'm over there.
floyd1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the cab doors : could it be something simple like the seal that the window frame sits on is too thick raising the frame a little too high ? It looks chunky in the pic .
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floyd1969 wrote:
Re the cab doors : could it be something simple like the seal that the window frame sits on is too thick raising the frame a little too high ? It looks chunky in the pic .

Thanks, I'm not discounting anything at this point Floyd. I think my game plan is to pull the door panel, see of there are any adjustments I can make to the mounting points, check that seal like you mentioned, and if nothing there works then I may try placing a piece of wood at that upper corner and gently push on the door to see if tweaking the frame a bit improves it.

If no success, the I'll shop for a ac VW body expert. I hope to get to it in a couple of weeks and will report back for the archives.
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick follow up. I had the chance today to play with it a little. I ended up just pushing out at the top/forward frame corner while holding the door. Just that little bit helped tremendously yet now the frame is really close at the top. It does appear when I compare to the other side that the frame could go down a bit lower to help that out.

It's freezing out there right now and the real cold/stiff rubber surround is making it difficult to open and close the door repeatedly, so I'll wait for warmer weather and drop the frame a bit, adjust, etc.

Thank you for all the help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: