Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

All-Syncro Off-road Class with Bill Burke ~ August 2015
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: All-Syncro Off-road Class with Bill Burke ~ August 2015 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hello all,
I have taken two classes with Bill Burke and have thoroughly enjoyed both of them. If you don't know who Bill Burke is, you can google him. He is well known for his participation in the Camel Trophy, and is an authority on off road driving and recovery. He has numerous sponsors and has two DVD's. You can read more about Bill and his classes at his site, bb4wa.com.

I found it interesting that when I took his classes there were no Syncros. I know we have an interesting niche of a vehicle and I am learning exactly what these vans can really do. I am not under the illusion that this is some kind of high speed rock crawler. But, they are a unique vehicle with more capability than some folks give credit. I cannot count how many people comment on how well these vans do on the trail!

When I took Bill's last class I was wedged in with lifted Toyotas, Land Rovers, Jeeps, and even an old Vovlo C303.

My van was the slowest but, I managed not to slow them down too much. It gets a little intimidating when you are following a Volvo C303 with portal axles!!!!

I was nervous at my first class but, I felt better about being with Bill, and a group, than I did on my first outing in my "new to me" Syncro, solo. Taking the classes with Bill allowed me to learn at the hands of an experienced instructor. I am still new to this and I feel I get more and more confidence with each class. And the classes are fun, too.

If you are like me, I don't plan on doing the Rubicon or the Dakar Rallye. But, I do plan on traveling with my spouse around this country and maybe even to Central or South America someday. I want to have confidence in my vehicle, equipment, and my driving before I embark.

Speaking with Bill I thought it would be a great idea to organize an All Syncro Group. One that would be geared to like minded people. People that own a Syncro, travel or will travel with their spouses, have none to some experience in off roading, and want to learn more. His first thought was to place me in a group with a bunch of Unimog campers!!!!

I have asked Bill for some moderate trails (more time for instruction on driving techniques) and beautiful scenery. He suggested Colorado in August. Starting in Grand Junction and ending in Glenwood Springs. From August 3rd through the 7th 2015. I have asked for instruction for driving in varied terrain (mud, sand, etc) and instruction in recovery (winch, hi-lift, pullpal, bridging ladders, sand tracks, kinetic ropes, etc). In a week long class we should see it all.

Accommodations will be "primitive" with a possible short stop mid-week for refueling and re-supplying.

Cost....Bill recommends between 5-7 vans in a group. Obviously we will get more opportunity of individual questions and instructions with less vans but, the cost will be shared by less people. 7 vans and the cost is $1,000 per van for the 5 days. 6 vans is $1,200 per van for 5 days. 5 vans is $1,500 per van for 5 days. Two people per van Smile. Dogs are welcome but, they must be well behaved, social, and not get in the way.

I BELEIVE that Bill will require a 50% deposit within the next month or so and the remainder one month before the class. Don't worry, even though your money is not refundable, it will be applied to a future class if something should arise (this happened to me on my first class). There is more information on his website.

Now, I have two spots confirmed. And one is tentative.

If your interested...please let me know. I have sent in the deposit to hold the dates.

Questions and comments welcomed.

I have also arranged a 40% coupon with Superwinch for participants.

And....ARB is DONATING two 35% off coupons (purchase your stuff directly from ARB), two tire repair kits, two tire deflators, and a snatch strap for the people that sign up....

First come, first choice!!!

http://www.arbusa.com

Last edited by 4x4BNB on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Syncronicity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun and I'd end up home Very Happy PM sent
________oo_oo
/ /__/___[_____\
I I======[]IIIII[]
()_)------()_)----)_)
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Red Vanagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea.I'm not sure what my price point would be, but 1000 bucks is more than I can swing.
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds fun, the lady and I might be in. Is there a discount for a two or three vehicle family. I know the wife will wanna be behind the wheel, and I wanna have some fun also
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdcage wrote:
This sounds fun, the lady and I might be in. Is there a discount for a two or three vehicle family. I know the wife will wanna be behind the wheel, and I wanna have some fun also

Thanks for the response Smile
Only two people per van are allowed (in the training). Any of those two can be the pilot or co-pilot at any given time and you can switch off whenever you want Smile. If you have multiple vehicles, and there is space, in the class...the price per van goes down for everybody. Smile

I believe it would be most beneficial to limit the class to 5 people....below that it gets more expensive. Up to 7 and the price is reduced Smile

Don't forget the 40% Superwinch coupon!!! I saved hundreds buying my winch with a coupon, like this one, provided to me by Bill Burke. I called Superwinch and explained about this class. They were kind enough to offer me a coupon to the participants as well. You can get a winch and or accessories directly from Superwinch!!!!
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa.. seems like a blast!
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To what extent should our vans be outfitted, mine is otherwise stock w/ a rear locker and I can't imagine much more done to it intime for this event? This sounds like a blast will it be before MFNW or after?

More details please.

Dillon
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dillonkoester wrote:
To what extent should our vans be outfitted, mine is otherwise stock w/ a rear locker and I can't imagine much more done to it intime for this event? This sounds like a blast will it be before MFNW or after?

More details please.

Dillon

I honestly don't know when the mogfest is....
The dates for this class/course is August 3 through 7, 2015. It'll start in Grand Junction, Colorado and end in Glenwood Sorings, Colorado. I am actually taking three weeks off to drive there, participate in the class, and drive back Smile

This class is geared for instructional/easy to moderate terrain. I have asked for a class that will deal with our specific vehicles....in short...I think yours will do fine. But, at the same time, do any mods that you believe will help you. If you get/do mods...this will be the time to learn/experiment. We will all be there to learn...it's not an "outing" of trail driving with your buddies. I, myself, am hoping that my wife will learn to guide/spot me through some off road obstacles.....this will be my third class...I am not ashamed to say I HAVE TONS TO LEARN!!! Smile
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea. Its not in my budget. I hope you have a fantastic time, and post pictures! Smile

For the last 3 years NWMF has been on the 3rd weekend in August. If the pattern continues in 2015 it will be August 13-16
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is driving a Syncro on a logging road different from driving other 4wd vehicles?

Last edited by Merian on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
How is driving a Syncro on a logging road different from driving other 4wd vehicles?

In a Syncro, you don't have to go home at the end of the day. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noganav wrote:
Merian wrote:

In a Syncro, you don't have to go home at the end of the day. Wink

right, you stay with your vehicle until you can fix the coolant leak Laughing

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

There's no difference "on a logging road". Unless your driving in snow, ice, or mud or decide to go off the logging road Smile
Here's a pic of my Syncro next to a lifted FJ....so ground clearance....

And....I just got done visiting my friends at ARB. They are DONATING two 35% off coupons (purchase directly from ARB), two tire repair kits, two tire deflators, and a snatch strap for the people that sign up....

First come, first choice!!!

http://www.arbusa.com
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I'm still on the fence about next August. Syncro30 in Germany is about that time and that trip will take all my paltry two weeks of my vacation time. But that trip hinges on my girlfriend obtaining her visa to be able to visit her home country (Germany) and return to work in USA!

PLUS I have tickets to the epic Book of Mormon play early August (it's even funnier because I live in the land of Zion....).

So I might not make it Sad But I really want to go. Perhaps if it works out for me and not someone else, I'll be able to buy their spot. I've really wanted to learn more rigging techniques and should have my van fully equipped by then too.

But Brett, it might work out if you are spending extra time before the event around Utah. There is a TON of fun roads to drive! Will have to wait and see how my next year pans out.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pics were all of logging roads, so that is why I framed my question that way.

But what I'd really like to know is what driving techniques differ on a Syncro from other 4wd vehicles.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
But what I'd really like to know is what driving techniques differ on a Syncro from other 4wd vehicles.

I suggest you read this thread, and post any follow up questions there:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=498427
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans we are spending most of our time just meandering to and from...but it would be awesome to meet u!!!

Merian....we did mostly off season snow mobile trails....they were filled with sharp lava rocks, tight quarters, and hilly Smile. For me..it basically ground clearance....with a lower vehicle you need to pick better lines than just "point and shoot". Plus the Syncro is a little longer so.... For me....I needed to go deeper into turns....

Hello Jon Smile
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Unfortunately I'm still on the fence about next August. Syncro30 in Germany is about that time and that trip will take all my paltry two weeks of my vacation time. But that trip hinges on my girlfriend obtaining her visa to be able to visit her home country (Germany) and return to work in USA!

PLUS I have tickets to the epic Book of Mormon play early August (it's even funnier because I live in the land of Zion....).

So I might not make it Sad But I really want to go. Perhaps if it works out for me and not someone else, I'll be able to buy their spot. I've really wanted to learn more rigging techniques and should have my van fully equipped by then too.

But Brett, it might work out if you are spending extra time before the event around Utah. There is a TON of fun roads to drive! Will have to wait and see how my next year pans out.

Hans, who do I have to call to make sure that Claudia does not get her visa? I have been on the fence about this trip due to some things that have nothing to with wanting or not wanting to go (son going away to college right about the same time), but if I knew that I was going to get to see you and Claudia there, that would probably push me over the edge.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have 10 months to figure it out! Berliner Busfest is the next week so that doesn't overlap Very Happy I'll see what I can do though. I was planning on maybe picking up a single cab while over there and driving all around Smile But I could change it up, we also have to spend some time in her hometown in Saxony! We'll see when time gets closer.

Let us know when deposits are due.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: