Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unused Diagnosis Plug Wires
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Unused Diagnosis Plug Wires Reply with quote

I've had this blank plug hanging down every since I picked up my 90 Carat. I was hoping it was pre-wired to the fusebox for the fog light switch. After searching I believe this is for the never installed OBDI check engine light or something to that effect. Part number 171941599. Brown, black, & grey w/ white stripe wires.

Can anyone tell me where these wires end up on the other end?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black wire is power from the key switch, unfused.

The brown wire is ground, from behind the dash.

The grey/white goes to the engine compartment wiring box. You should find it there if you look.

Mark
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That will come in very handy. I can use the ground and wire running to the rear for sure. Any suggestions for the unfused power wire?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear window defroster switch plug. Grey/white goes to the heating grid.
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WLD*WSTY wrote:

My defroster switch is already plugged in and works.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the defroster switch plug has more wires and they are different colors.

Mark

dart330 wrote:
WLD*WSTY wrote:

My defroster switch is already plugged in and works.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not familiar with the US wiring, but the grey/white wire is for the rear fog light on the euro models
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Unused Diagnosis Plug Wires Reply with quote

dart330 wrote:
I've had this blank plug hanging down every since I picked up my 90 Carat.

Where was this plug hanging down (what area of the dash)? I'd like to find it and use the switched wire for a stereo toggle and an Amp trigger (with an in-line fuse). Maybe I'll just plug into it with a spade and leave it intact. I could use the ground for the amp too I suppose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we didn't use it for that. When California was going to mandate an emissions system fault indicator on the dash VW starting getting ready for it. They added a simple OBD capability to the later ECU (022D) and added some wiring for that feature. AFAIK the feature was never completed though 1988 owners manuals do show it on the dash instrument cluster, in the lower right switch hole. The texts explains that it is to display stored codes and to see your VW for an explanation of the codes and repairs.

Mark

ZsZ wrote:
Not familiar with the US wiring, but the grey/white wire is for the rear fog light on the euro models
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Here we didn't use it for that. When California was going to mandate an emissions system fault indicator on the dash VW starting getting ready for it. They added a simple OBD capability to the later ECU (022D) and added some wiring for that feature. AFAIK the feature was never completed though 1988 owners manuals do show it on the dash instrument cluster, in the lower right switch hole. The texts explains that it is to display stored codes and to see your VW for an explanation of the codes and repairs.

Mark

ZsZ wrote:

Oh, clear now!
Then VW used the same wiring harness for different purposes. Idea
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

So from that picture it should be in the cluster area near the tach somewhere?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a van has it at all it should be below the cluster in the wiring mess.

Mark

geo_tonz wrote:

So from that picture it should be in the cluster area near the tach somewhere?
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

ZsZ wrote:

So that explains why the plug looks like it hooks into a switch. I thought it would just be a light in the center of the console, not an entire lighted switch. Seems like a really odd way to do it.

I plan to use the grey wire for a rear fog light, but still not sure what to do with the black wire since I have the stock radio.
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dart330 wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

ZsZ wrote:

So that explains why the plug looks like it hooks into a switch. I thought it would just be a light in the center of the console, not an entire lighted switch. Seems like a really odd way to do it.

I plan to use the grey wire for a rear fog light, but still not sure what to do with the black wire since I have the stock radio.

Wouldn't you use the black wire as your fog light power, run it through a switch and then to the back on the grey wire? Then the fog light would only work with the key on and can't be accidentally left on?
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Wouldn't you use the black wire as your fog light power, run it through a switch and then to the back on the grey wire? Then the fog light would only work with the key on and can't be accidentally left on?

I was going to try and follow this wiring diagram, but not 100% sure. Brown wire is easy, but where on the fuse box do you plug in for the rear fogs? I would also want to put a relay on all of them.

WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Not to mention the defroster switch plug has more wires and they are different colors.

Quite right. I just love playing the fool around you, Mark! Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: