Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beginner buggy build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 6 hrs and I was able to get the front and rear bumpers modified and fit to the chassis. The front bumper I modified by welding some plate to the bumper mount and welded in some threaded studs to bolt it to the shock tower. The previous owner made mounts by smashing a piece of pipe flat then welded the flat end to the shock tower looked like garbage.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The rear bumper was tricky just because the slip joint mounts have to be perfect or it binds up while trying to put the bumper on so it took a while to tweek and fine tune the rear bumper to go on easy.

Last edited by ammocan on Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my gas tank is in terrible condition. The inside is rotting and there is a decent sized crack that was repaired with JB weld and duct tape so I am going to order a new fuel tank, sender, and gauge. While shopping I came across this oversized tank and just want to know if it's going to fit in my buggy. It would be nice to carry a little extra fuel but has anyone run this in their car? Does it fit?

mtnroads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it will fit under the hood as the extended range tanks are taller above the split line. with a stock tank my hood touches on the drivers front corner right by the filler. but every body is different, put a wad of clay on the tank where you think its close and see how much taller you can go. does your old tank have rub marks on it ?
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtnroads wrote:
I doubt it will fit under the hood as the extended range tanks are taller above the split line. with a stock tank my hood touches on the drivers front corner right by the filler. but every body is different, put a wad of clay on the tank where you think its close and see how much taller you can go. does your old tank have rub marks on it ?

I guess I didn't really pay attention to the fact that all the extra capacity is above the split line. Mine is not terribly tight in my buggy and it doesnt rub but not exactly an over abundance of space. Probably won't fit. Thanks.
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 hrs tonight and I got done the tow reciever. I am pleased with how it turned out. My main goal with the reciever is to give me a good way to add accessories. For example. I'm going to make a spare tire carrier for the reciever and I may put a cargo rack on the back for trips. I don't really intend to pull a trailer with it but a hitch reciever can be a huge convenience.

I have about an hours worth of work to finish this week then it's all off to the sand blaster Saturday morning or Monday morning. I found a business close by that said he has done many VW chassis and he quoted me $100 to blast the chassis. I have no frame of reference but it seems cheap. I'm getting very excited to paint this thing. I really need to get past the metal work and do something else for a change.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frame of reference, I do my own blasting of my chassis. I would not touch it for $ 100.00. I would take mine to him instead of doing them myself.

(no I would not, I am a cheap ol' bastard)

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Frame of reference, I do my own blasting of my chassis. I would not touch it for $ 100.00. I would take mine to him instead of doing them myself.

(no I would not, I am a cheap ol' bastard)

Well if a cheap ol' bastard would even consider spending the money then I know it's a good deal Very Happy

So I did the final touch which was a recovery D-ring on the front bumper.

Tomorrow morning is the day. I have a buddy comming over first thing in the morning to help me get the chassis on my truck and we are off to the blasters. I am very excited to have this phase of the project done. I have thoroughly enjoyed building the chassis and all the fabrication but at some points it really does feel like you will never get there. I added all my hrs and I am 147 hrs to this point and 6 1/2 months. If I paid for that much work at an under the table rate of $20 per hr I would be another $3000 into this project. Real shop time is 4 times that much. Hopefully in the next week or so this chassis will see some paint and bed liner and maybe I can even start opening some of these boxes of parts Dancing Dancing
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is what my house looked like yesterday. Mother nature is just showing me a little mercy since my buggy isn't ready for buggy season.

So I did get the chassis blasted on Saturday and the guy only charged me another $50 to do the roll cage and the two bumpers so I got everything blasted for $150. Best money I ever spent. All steal is now primered. Hopefully it's all going to get gloss black this weekend

From the time I left for blasting to getting primer on everything took me 10 hrs. Shouldn't have taken that long but I had 2 tabs I forgot to weld on the rear cage for a flag mount and cb radio whip so I welded those on and touched it up with my home sand blaster.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 hrs of work and I put some bond on the tunnel at the joint and sanded it up. Turned out pretty good. Almost had myself talked out of doing the body filler so thanks Joe talking me into it.

Got paint on the chassis and the front axle beam. Turned out pretty good. It's almost a shame to cover it with bed liner. After much though and reading I decided to go with Rustoleum gloss black and added a hardener then brushed it on. The paint levels nicely with the hardener in it. Brushing wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and in some respects a little better since I could work the paint into the corners and welds to get a nice moisture barrier. Some of the little corners on the rear end would have been really difficult to get to with a sprayer.

Last edited by ammocan on Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. You just accomplished a Major Hurdle in the build, congratulations!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe. I am very excited to have reached this milestone.

Got some new parts today. Gas tank, gas gauge, sender, limiting straps, pushrod tubes (current ones are leaking) and a few other boring odds and ends.

My wife also picked up some high density foam from her craft store for the rear seats. She happened to be going and when she got there she immediately called me and told me the foam was all half off. Picked up 2" for the back rest and 3" for the seat. It's nearly time to put the wife to work making some seat covers! She has also agreed to make the canvas top. Between the foam and the parts I added another $450 to the tally bringing me to about $6400.

cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you really have been an insperation to me to get my buggy on the road. since my first post on your thread i have been watchuing it and giving me the drive to go out and wrk on mine.
thanks

and your build is looking awesome
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdnltded wrote:
you really have been an insperation to me to get my buggy on the road. since my first post on your thread i have been watchuing it and giving me the drive to go out and wrk on mine.
thanks

and your build is looking awesome

Thanks it's pretty cool that someone has taken that kind of interest in my build. I too had lots of inspiration from different people and builds on this site. If it wasn't for all the inspiration I got from builds I followed I would have never even tried this project.
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found 5 hrs in my schedule (late night should have been sleeping) got the bed liner on the pan. I used hurculiner that came in a kit and I was pleasantly suprise by the result. By far the hardest part of this little project was getting g the damn lid off the can. Not sure why this can was secured like fort Knox but I won.

The hurculiner was a highly rated DIY bedliner and it was priced right at $70 for the 1 gal kit. I followed the instructions religiously and it gave me a good result. The only rediculous thing about this kit was it comes with a billow pad to scuff the surface and it lasted for about 1/10 of the project so I picked up some grade 3 steel wool to get it done right. My fingers hurt when I was done scrubbing the surface to get in all the corners and welds. The result I think is fantastic.

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Herculiner. Easy to apply and tough. It looks good.

I also apply it to the underside of the fenders to help protect them from stones.
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
I love the Herculiner. Easy to apply and tough. It looks good.

I also apply it to the underside of the fenders to help protect them from stones.

Good call on the fenders. surprisingly I have about a half gallon left and I used it pretty liberally on the floor pan so it goes further than you think. I intended to use the rest for the sides of the body and I think I will do under fenders too thanks.
ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have a roller i can sit on and make engine noises. I enlisted the help of my father and in 8 hrs i got the front torsion beam built and the new ac industries disc set on. We got the swing axle on with a new shift rod bushing and new shift coupler.

I made another custom tool to do a job. this time I put on the new brake caliper brackets ant the holes for the bolts were barely bigger than the bolt head so here is my solution. this new socket gave me a good bite on hte bolt to properly torque it. this makes like the 3rd custom tool for this job

cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i may have missed it
but i was wondering where you got your main hoop for your roll bar. what are the specs on it if i you dont mind
1600buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing work!! I too am a beginner with a stick welder. old crapsman. i was wondering what rod and amperage you use generally. we'll say for the installation of the floor pans. thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: