Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash Trim 1966 Ghia and 3D Printing services
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Dash Trim 1966 Ghia and 3D Printing services Reply with quote

I've run this past John Moxon and he thinks is worthy of a heads-up for a previously unobtainable part and I should let you know these parts are now available for order on the web from a 3D printing service.

A few people have PM'd me about my 3D CAD drawings of the Dash trim. Some may already know I spent about $1000 to get a LHD set professionally scanned with a 3D scanner and some CAD drawings made. I've given a few people a copy of those on the proviso that they don't proliferate copies over the web but that was going towards being too hard to manage. For me, I took those CAD drawings and mirrored the object to create a Left Hand Drive set to suit my car. I had those 3D printed and they came out OK but I have to do more work to get the chrome finish perfect.

So what about anyone else who wants these made up? I certainly am not a business operator and I'm not interested in setting up an online payment scheme or mini supply company. I figured that anyone keen to have one can go ahead and make orders on Shapeways. I've added a margin for my efforts since the 3D scans cost me a big pile to create and capitalism is a cool, right?.

Have a look at the Shapeways shop here ...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/Sputnick60

This stuff here requires further finishing because it is made of simple white plastic chosen on the basis that it is the cheapest solution for now. You will do your own chrome coating in whatever way you see fit. I offer these with no guarantee of perfection. I do not control the printing process so cannot inspect the part you get. That's Shapeways problem. I strongly suggest you order one of the smaller and less expensive parts as a test sample and decide how to proceed from there. If people are nasty about this I'll just delete the service. If people are helpful and constructive I'll work with folks to improve the offering.

Shapeways does offer shiny polished finishes but none of those are able to be done in the length required for the glove box lid and centre piece over the radio delete plate. I could have tried the smaller pieces in another material but the complete set would have looked inconsistent and odd. So I stuck to "strong flexible white plastic" so it all looks the same.

The centre piece over the radio delete plate is uncut and is the full length from the clock to the inside edge of the glove box lid. If you have a radio, you'll need to cut to suit your installation.

Finally if we all play nicely together we can keep this thread going with clever ways of completing and finishing the part. This could be the start of a bewdiful crowd development.

Good luck everyone especially those who wanna play.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by sputnick60 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nick, most people will know how meticulous you are about everything you do so a professional product will come as no surprise.

This is a MAJOR breakthrough for a hell of a lot of '66 Ghia owners who have all but given up looking for the one-year only dash trim.

As Nicholas says...play fair and you will all gain from his selfless dedication to the hobby. If it turns out to be a happy experience it will encourage others to step up and produce more difficult to source parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
copellos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a breakthru ive been making it outof alum for almost 10 years both lhb and the reg rhd. Have even the ultra rare radiodelete piece.
Kgpr and hog have carried them for years
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

copellos wrote:
Not a breakthru ive been making it outof alum for almost 10 years both lhb and the reg rhd. Have even the ultra rare radiodelete piece.
Kgpr and hog have carried them for years

Only too pleased to give a heads-up on yours too John but I've just done a search on KGPR and haven't found them. Confused
copellos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way john ur black and white photos are the best..
Everbodys out because i havent rerun them yet..
When is bad camberg this year
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s great news Nick! Congratulations on having these made. I like the 3-d printing idea and the prices you have listed are quite reasonable.

John is right, there has been no real source for plastic parts to replace the original. I managed to fairly quickly cast a few pieces from resin, which turned out fairly well, but as it is an exact copy, all the little chips, cracks and scratches also get reproduced.

Clearly not an issue with your process. If I was a bit more careful and spent a little more time at it, patching the originals, cleaning up the mould, perhaps fine-tuned the materials a little more it could be done really well. But with your pieces now available, I think that would be the best/easiest route to go, particularly if someone has nothing to go on to begin with. I will be revisiting mine at some point (priorities right?), and using a different mould making material, but only because I want to see if I can sort it out.

As for the finish on these, I had the same issue with the surface coating. I used “chrome” paint for the outer edges (which were very smooth) and aluminum paint for the inner rougher bits.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It worked out fairly well, again, with a bit of care and fine tuning I think a person could spray your bits with easily accessible materials to make them look fairly close to original. Good luck.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

copellos wrote:
By the way john ur black and white photos are the best..
Everbodys out because i havent rerun them yet..
When is bad camberg this year

Cheers mate. Smile

Bad Camberg is June 2015: http://www.lottermann-veteranen-treffen.org/
1966kghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nicholas. That's a great resource which I might need to draw upon as I might not find all my bits in boxes from the PO.

Hans
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose a photo or two will help people see what this looks like.

So the next 3 pictures show examples of each type.
First one shows all three with the original part in the centre, John Copelo's masterfully hand made reproduction on the left and a 3D printed one from Shapeways on the right. The reproduction ones are for a RHD vehicle and the original is for a LHD vehicle.

The second photo is the Original LHD part against a RHD part.

The last photo is a close up of the same two.

This part is the most complex and would require a fair effort to make on a milling machine and is expensive to make. A 3D printer would only charge for the volume of plastic. The injection moulding is the most expensive way to do it but over large production runs is cost effective. There will never be a large run of these so a 3D printing service or experienced machinist are the two viable options.

Nicholas
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! Looks to be a very accurate reproduction. Congratuations!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
andrigtmiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
I suppose a photo or two will help people see what this looks like.

So the next 3 pictures show examples of each type.
First one shows all three with the original part in the centre, John Copelo's masterfully hand made reproduction on the left and a 3D printed one from Shapeways on the right. The reproduction ones are for a RHD vehicle and the original is for a LHD vehicle.

The second photo is the Original LHD part against a RHD part.

The last photo is a close up of the same two.

This part is the most complex and would require a fair effort to make on a milling machine and is expensive to make. A 3D printer would only charge for the volume of plastic. The injection moulding is the most expensive way to do it but over large production runs is cost effective. There will never be a large run of these so a 3D printing service or experienced machinist are the two viable options.

Nicholas

Just purchased a set of the LHD pieces. What a lifesaver! Thanks!
jajajill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Trim 1966 Ghia and 3D Printing services Reply with quote

This is excellent!!! Thank you!

I’m an industrial design student, so I’m very familiar with CAD and 3D printing, as well as finishing processes. I’ll definitely be purchasing a set.

As for finishing, SLA prints will be the smoothest and require the least sanding by default, but they are sensitive to heat, so if the interior of the car is often hot, they may not be the best choice.
SLS (not SLA) is shapeway’s default way. It involves fusing granules together, so they can be brittle.
FDM (pretty standard among home printers) is structurally ok, but gives the roughest finish. For parts like this, with fine lines, I wouldn’t recommend it.

Vacuum metalizing and plating would be the best ways to finish them, but also the most expensive.

Chrome paint is probably easiest, and vinyl wrap may be another cheaper option.

~Jill
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Trim 1966 Ghia and 3D Printing services Reply with quote

Wouldn’t it be fantastic if the community could crowd fund this development work for you - with the ultimate aim of open sourcing the drawings. I don’t have a ‘66 but would donate a little to help.
jajajill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Trim 1966 Ghia and 3D Printing services Reply with quote

I have some resources if you’re looking to develops these further. Let me know.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Trim 1966 Ghia and 3D Printing services Reply with quote

jajajill wrote:
I have some resources if you’re looking to develops these further. Let me know.

I own the CAD drawings and I'd be happy to contribute to an outcome of plastic chrome finished sets in both RHD and LHD versions. I'd probably ask KGPR to hold them in stock so they are always available. Why don't you PM me and we can start a dialogue on how to make this happen. BTW the price point in the market is $200 USD for a full set. There are other options at that price so there's no point it trying make to ones fortune here, rather, its a service for the enthusiasts.

Nicholas.
guidoamisano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Trim 1966 Ghia and 3D Printing services Reply with quote

Hello,

I know it's been a couple of years, but has anyone bought this set of 3-d printed trim pieces and successfully had them chromed? I'm interested in buying a set. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

Guido
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Trim 1966 Ghia and 3D Printing services Reply with quote

Saw these in the classifieds, may work for someone.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2444979
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Trim 1966 Ghia and 3D Printing services Reply with quote

Well I tried plating on Nicholas pieces. I must say that the parts came perfect from Shapeways, no to little sanding required. The problem was in the plating, something went wrong Crying or Very sad . We going to try again.

Radio face plate in the photo is 3D printed also, I've made it in CAD and have the file so if anyone need a face plate and have a access to a 3D printer - hit me with a private message. Making it cost me about an 2 hours time so no fee for the file - free for anyone who need it.
cmdrfire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Trim 1966 Ghia and 3D Printing services Reply with quote

I've bought these some years ago and I've literally just finished spraying an enamel chrome on them!
I am quite happy with the result so far, but I haven't finished polishing them yet.

I looked into having them chromed a few years ago, and sent to a company who claimed to be able to do such things, but was told it wasn't possible with the material at the time... hence my spray-can effort.

I'll take a photo and upload it shortly.
cmdrfire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Trim 1966 Ghia and 3D Printing services Reply with quote

Here's what mine looks now, after about 4 coats of spray-on enamel chrome and a couple of wet sands in between... still needs a polish and possibly one more wet-sand and coat:

It's a bit colder in colour temp than some of the other chrome treatments.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: