Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

$500 Tintop gets a Subaru 2.2 and a 5MT
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: $500 Tintop gets a Subaru 2.2 and a 5MT Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

Some of you may remember I purchased a $500 van as a parts rig a while back. It's a run-of-the-mill 1985 tintop with aftermarket a/c. The p.o. was trying to do a water pump job, gave up and threw all the stuff he took off in a box for me. A nice guy, but not a wrench at all. He did purchase a new water pump however, so I installed that along with the other brackets, hoses, etc. that he took off. I then found out the distributor was toast so I put a reman in and got the engine started. Well in a very short time it began overheating and I shut it down. I'm a guy with a lot of other projects on his plate. Not needing project 1005 added to my list I put the tintop on the back-burner and got back to my other stuff.

Then about this time last year I drove the 101 around the Olympic peninsula with my good friend and brother-in-law, Greg. We joked about fixing up the van but I dismissed it as vacation talk as Greg can easily afford to purchase a roadworthy van. I was surprised when 4 months later he inquired about the van. It became clear to me his interest wasn't simply about buying a van... but he was also interested in learning how to do the work.

So we looked at our schedules and set some dates for when Greg could come out to my house. It's been a few weeks of work now so I thought I'd post up some pictures. Greg has done a fantastic job for someone who never spent a day in the shop before. He's now pulled the eng/trans out of the vanagon and the subaru, removed the harness from the subaru, cleaned and prepped countless components including all the brackets, bolts, etc. He's got a lot of elbow grease into this project... and we're doing it all old-school. No fancy equipment at my shop, everything has been prepped by hand.

A big thanks to David Clymer and Todd at Subaru Gears. Both have been very gracious and patient with my questions and concerns. They both support the products they sell and clearly are passionate about VW. As a community we are blessed to count these two within our ranks. Great people, great products and solid after-sale support. Many other vendors and individuals have been used and consulted during this build and I'll thank them later... but I wanted to highlight the efforts of these two pioneers. For anyone out in vanagonland thinking about doing a 5MT, don't hesitate. These guys have your back.

The install thus far as been very straightforward. The Clymer kit is outstanding, and Subarugears R&P are beautiful. I wouldn't call this an "easy" project, but for someone with a decent shop it's absolutely do-able for the advanced d-i-yer/weekend wrench.

Beyond the 5MT this tintop is also having a 2.2 added at the same time. This particular engine came out of a 1995 legacy with known ownership and 135K documented miles. It was an east coast car for much of its life however and suffered from the typical corrosion. We carefully cleaned all the corrosion off and painted it for good measure. The engine also was refreshed. The bottom end was not touched as it was in excellent shape, but the motor did receive a new oil pump, water pump/timing kit/new lifters and a complete reseal.

We also tackled the reverse manifold ourselves and had that welded locally. Another cooling system component we did was the bypass coolant t-stat adapter. I cut off the flange of the old water pump and also the flange off an aluminum housing. I then made them flat, bolted them together and jb-welded the natural seam created by the two pieces The interior actually is 100% metal for roughly 1/8" of material. After the epoxy fully cured, I simply drilled and tapped on the side and there was plenty of aluminum to hold the threads for the fitting. If this doesn't work out I'll buy one from Tom, but I have no reason to think it wouldn't work... it's rock solid and all gets bolted together between the cover and the pump.

I suppose that's about all I have to report for now. Greg has to get back to his regular life and I need to refocus on my own projects. It's been a great build so far and I'm looking forward to his next visit when we'll get this van back on the road where it belongs.

Cheers,
Kevin

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Greg after pulling the motor and tired of sanding the engine bay.

Greg doing some work on the corner.

During the paint stripping an area of poor body work was exposed. We removed all of that and started from scratch.

The engine was badly corroded. This picture was taken about 1/2 through the cleaning process.

Inside was beautiful, no varnish or sludge, original cross-hatching on all cylinders all the way around, top to bottom.

It cleaned up well.

On the low-boy dolly patiently awaiting install.

The back side with the modified 5MT attached.

Oh yeah!

Picture of the modified case half.

Other components were not forgotten. Everything is getting cleaned and painted.

Picture of cut flanges to make the t-stat adapter.

Mostly all metal, only a spot of jb-weld through the threads.

Not too shabby... as long as it works I'm happy. It did get painted after this.

Going up and in.

Finally in place. The intake is just resting there for the photo.

View from the bottom. Look carefully and you'll see my t-stat adapter.
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu

Last edited by 61Scout on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:51 am; edited 3 times in total
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and that's how you turn a 500 dollar van into a runner. Cool

Very nice
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE! Applause Applause Applause Applause
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, let us in on any updates.

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
big toe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done! Every time I turn the key to start the 2.1 in my van I start thinking about used Subaru's..
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the kind words. I certainly will keep updating this thread as the build continues. I purposely omitted many details of the build, mostly to keep my posts brief. But needless to say on a project of this scope there have been many tiny changes, things moved around, clearancing, etc. I didn't necessarily want to post about my reverse coolant manifold or what paint I like to use and so on, because we all have our opinions on how things should be done and what products to buy. That said, if someone has a specific question or wants me to elaborate about part of the build please feel free to ask or PM me.

Thanks again guys... and a big thanks to all of you who have posted your own projects- past and present. I certainly draw inspiration from all the beautiful and innovative work around here.

Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late here, but FYI for anyone looking at doing this; get the water pump for a 91-94 Legacy Turbo, or a newer turbocharged WRX, Forester XT, etc... it has the two small water nipples on it so you don't need the adapter plate. The second one was used for an aux oil cooler.

The thermostat positioning changes, you'll need the turbo thermostat cover too so the hose connection points the right way..

Shown here turbo vs normal pumps;

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really nice looking work, Kevin! I love the way you've taken a derelict Vanagon and a damaged Subaru Legacy and made something highly desirable out of both of them. You give very nice attention to detail and I'm sure that van is going to run really well. I'm glad my 5MT installation kit is working out for you and has met your expectations.

I'll look forward to a demo ride once you get her on the road. Smile

Dave
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncroincity wrote:
Too late here, but FYI for anyone looking at doing this; get the water pump for a 91-94 Legacy Turbo, or a newer turbocharged WRX, Forester XT, etc... it has the two small water nipples on it so you don't need the adapter plate. The second one was used for an aux oil cooler.

The thermostat positioning changes, you'll need the turbo thermostat cover too so the hose connection points the right way..

Shown here turbo vs normal pumps;

That's a great tip, Jerry. I knew about the oil cooler on the turbo engines, but I hadn't thought about using that water pump on a non-turbo engine and running the coolant bypass into the extra water inlet.

Dave
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the front plastic timing belt cover different on the turbo motors with that pump?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bridgetroll13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just beginning to wade into this now and would greatly appreciate any info you're willing to share. I read through all of David's 30 some page post (amazing stuff) and am gathering information anywhere I can find it. I have an engine, wiring harness and transmission from a 2000 Forester which is ultimately destined for my wife's 91 tin top.

Great stuff! Keep the photos and posts coming!

Thanks,

Erik

'74 Super Beetle, '82 Westy 1.9 AAZ, AAP 5 spd, '91 Vanagon GL
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrobewesty wrote:
Isn't the front plastic timing belt cover different on the turbo motors with that pump?

The turbo water pump is an excellent idea to avoid the adapter. Thanks for posting that, Syncroincity. The timing covers in that area look to be the same to me (judging from my google image search). However, I'm not sure it would be the best way to go if one is using the smallcar mount. Perhaps someone with the setup can comment?... but it looks like if one used the turbo pump servicing the t-stat later would be a pain. Getting to the bolt towards the interior side of the motor looks like it would be a wrench only- 1/4 turn situation???

David, thanks for your kind words and thanks for the kit! I'd love for you to drive it once it's done and get some feedback.

Erik, thanks for the encouragement. Glad to hear you're taking the plunge too. I'll make another post here showing some of the details once I get another chunk done. Stay tuned and feel free to PM me.

Kevin

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Subarugears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great! Can't wait to see your first drive video.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great build. I found the 2.2 just a tad low on power considering all the work involved but then again, I had oversized tyres on and mine is a full westy. A tin top with proper gearing, tyres and a five speed will prolly be much happier with a 2.2 than mine was, if not a 2.5 short block could easily be swapped in at a later date.

What I love about the build here is the adventure and comraderie!

Btw, you can just drill and tap the stock water pump for a barbed fitting for the bypass.

Neil2
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently added the reversed 5-MT transmission to my Subaru 2.2 powered 84 Westfalia. I also used David's Kit and the 4.11 R&P from SubaruGears. I now have about 1,000 miles on it and am pretty happy with the set-up. The first 4 gears are very close to stock, so that feels familiar. The 5th gear is made for highway cruising (@ 3K RPM the GPS says I'm going 66 MPH). When I meet a long hill, I feel like I could use a bit more power, but then I remember, I used to drive this road in 4th gear @ 3500+ rpm so, shifting down doesn't seem like much of a set-back. In your lighter tin top, the 5MT should be great.

Have you found the short AT axles yet? For me, that was one of the difficult things to source.
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently added the reversed 5-MT transmission to my Subaru 2.2 powered 84 Westfalia. I also used David's Kit and the 4.11 R&P from SubaruGears. I now have about 1,000 miles on it and am pretty happy with the set-up. The first 4 gears are very close to stock, so that feels familiar. The 5th gear is made for highway cruising (@ 3K RPM the GPS says I'm going 66 MPH). When I meet a long hill, I feel like I could use a bit more power, but then I remember, I used to drive this road in 4th gear @ 3500+ rpm so, shifting down doesn't seem like much of a set-back. In your lighter tin top, the 5MT should be great.

Have you found the short AT axles yet? For me, that was one of the difficult things to source.
bridgetroll13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you end up doing for the shift linkage? That was the one thing, reading through David's thread, that seemed not quite resolved. Is that a component of his kit? (can we see pictures?)

Thanks,

Erik
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone... Nothing new to post/report of any significance. It's been bitterly cold here and this van has to sit outside the shop unfortunately. And I've got some other projects in the shop I need to get done for work/$. In any case, I did want to address some of the questions that came up.

Todd, Neil2, thanks for the kind words and encouragement. Neil2, this van will be staying stock for now as far as the wheels and tires are concerned. It will also remain a tintop. The R&P I'm running are the 4:44 set. All together it should be a decent cruiser. Easily capable of modern highway speeds and still peppy around town. And yes, as you noted the the 2.5 could be swapped in if it turns out the 2.2 is not enough engine. This engine was free however (I owned the subaru when it was still a subaru) so that was the main reason for not going with the 2.5 right off the bat.

Wcdennis- Thanks for the feedback on the 5MT kit. Good to know you're happy with the set up. We simply ended up buying shafts from GW and forgoing the core charges. Expensive perhaps, but they come with a warranty and no labor time for me to rebuild an old shaft. I looked at buying used and then rebuilding, but the cost differential didn't provide enough savings to make it worthwhile in my opinion. Sourcing axles shouldn't be a problem however. There was some discussion on this in another thread, but I believe custom lengths are easily made... the cv ends of course are more easily obtainable. So one could build shafts from scratch. I suspect if the available supply runs dry that David (or perhaps Todd) would look into adding the shafts to the kit... or perhaps present them as an option to purchase with the 5MT kit. In any case, the supply seems to be adequate at the moment.

Erik- The shift linkage has been figured out and perfected I might add. The kit includes all the modified components to get the job done. There's no hunting around for this and that... David has it all together and ready to go in the 5MT kit.

For anyone reading this who has reservations/concerns regarding the kit, do not worry. Though this kit is still largely being produced by hand, it's my understanding that processes are being streamlined and refined. The 5MT kit itself, along with the reversed r&p are well tested in the field with thousands of miles logged. This isn't a here-today-gone-tomorrow operation. Things will only get better as everything is fine tuned. If you're interested, better get in touch with David now... I have no doubt the popularity of, and demand for, the 5MT/5speedbus kit will only increase.

Kevin

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Subarugears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Automatic length Vanagon axles should be simple to source.
They are a stock item produced by EMPI
(depending on whether or not using their parts is a deal breaker for you or not)
Part number 90-6804

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: