Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine trouble
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetlefix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Engine trouble Reply with quote

Hi everyone, newbie here and asking if anyone has had experience with this issue, to say i'm gutted at the moment is a understatement.

Here's what has happened, i have rebuilt a 1600c DP engine for my Beetle, eveything is brand new on the rebuild except the crankshaft and crankcase, which i had reground and the case align bored, i've done 750 trouble free miles with the engine purring well, i used the bug this Friday just gone , no issues, no bangs, no clunks etc and no oil pressure loss or oil leaks, i went to the car yesterday evening (Sunday) and with minus 2 in temperature i had to unfreeze my door locks, once in the car i then started the bug and it fired up no problem, it did sound a little off but i took that to be the cold weather and upon driving and at a slow speed because of the snow and ice we are experiencing in the UK at the moment i got around 100 feet away from my house when the car came to a screeching halt and died, i cannot turn the crank by hand its all solid no movement and obviously the car wont start, i was only doing around 15 mph, my wife was in the back when this happened and said she heard a grating sound, my question is could this be a jammed starter motor, it is quite old and with the cold weather was wondering if it could jam, anyone experienced this before ?.

I can't beleive its the engine as it gave no sign whatsoever of failure,unless something has happened to the internal like a broken gear etc, i suppose you never know, i find this so frustrating as i've only just got the car back on the road after a long time !.

Long winded post i know,but really gutted if i've got to pull the engine again !..

Any help would be great,thanks,Rob.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine trouble Reply with quote

When you say "screatching halt" do you mean it made screatching noises?

Starters can stick, but putting it in reverse and pushing the car should free it. Not likely, but something to try gently.

Next I'd check, drain and examine the oil. How does it smell?

But if you can't turn it over, the engine is probably coming out for disassembly to see what's jammed.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beetlefix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine trouble Reply with quote

Thanks for the help ,oil is clean and does not smell as i changed the oil at 600 miles which was 2 weekends ago !, the engine stopped dead and locked the wheels up (about 10 - 15 mph ), so i dipped the clutch and coasted the car to park it, as i started the car initially the engine sounded off, like it needed warming up and sounded slower ,that's why i was wondering if the starter was still engaged and has jammed against the flywheel as there was no indication of anything wrong prior to this happening, the bug was running sweet and i used it Friday evening (50 mph) coming home from work, purring like a kitten, parked it up and listened to it idling for a few seconds being a new engine just to make sure it's all ok after every use while the mileage is still fairly low and running in !.......looks like i've got some work to do again !!....Thanks.

Last edited by Beetlefix on Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine trouble Reply with quote

I assume you can still roll the car in neutral?

It’s not unheard of that the clutch or transmission can lock solid with the engine giving the impression that the engine has seized.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine trouble Reply with quote

Ok we posted together. Didn’t see your post re declutching.
Beetlefix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine trouble Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Ok we posted together. Didn’t see your post re declutching.

Thanks for taking the time to read my posts,much appreciated.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine trouble Reply with quote

The starter motor itself has a bendix drive which is quite weak in comparison to an engine revving at a couple of thousand rpm. I think if the starter stuck solid it would break the bendix drive quite easily. Now of course parts could jam into the flywheel but at the speed you were going it would damage the flywheel teeth or bell housing before locking the engine.

Pull the engine at least until the input shaft disengages then try to turn the crankshaft. It will immediately tell you if you need to keep going to pull it out and inspect.

I’m hoping it’s something simple. Just strange that the engine gave up so suddenly after running well and just parking.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine trouble Reply with quote

Too tight of bearing clearances, plus very cold temps, plus full round aluminum bearings, equals zero bearing clearance.

So what were yours?
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine trouble Reply with quote

why are you driving it on salty winter roads? Shame on you

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine trouble Reply with quote

I'd first pull the starter out to see if that allows the engine to be rotated again or not, but I feel the comment below is likely an accurate assessment of the problem.

Pruneman99 wrote:
Too tight of bearing clearances, plus very cold temps, plus full round aluminum bearings, equals zero bearing clearance.

So what were yours?

viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine trouble Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:

So what were yours?

The effect of temperature on the volumetric or linear expansion co-efficient differences between steel (crankshaft) and magnesium or aluminium is largely irrelevant as it affects the clearances in the 10,000-100,000 th of an inch. Compare this to say a 2 thousands of an inch recommended bearing clearance.

Whilst it is true magnesium expands roughly twice as fast (and as long) as steel, this should not be a factor here.

However if the bearing clearances were grossly incorrect here say 0.0005 instead of 0.002 then yes bearing clearance is an issue.

It is more likely that the oil has been washed off the cylinders due to the cold weather as the carburettor will run quite rich when cold. This tends to slug the cylinders with a lot of fuel and with no oil, the pistons can sieze.

Question to Beetlefix

1. Did you sit and idle the car for a period before you drove off for your 100 foot drive?

2. Secondly just throwing this in as an unlikely possibility, what oil were you using? In the worst case the wrong sort of oil was used, it is possible that the oil has gelled causing poor lubrication meaning nothing getting to the bearings. I wouldn't expect -2 degrees C to be very cold, so it is unlikely that the oil could do that. (Remember Beetlefix lives in the UK = metric).

When VW sent their car down to Antarctica, they didn't use oil as a lubricant due to the possibility of freezing the oil. They used diesel fuel I believe. Modern oils shouldn't be affected however.

Places like Verkhoyansk in Siberia and I'm sure places in Canada and Alaska have temperatures as low as -60 degrees C and their cars seem to survive I would expect that really cold temperatures shouldn't affect bearing clearance.
Beetlefix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Engine trouble Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys, the oil used in the engine is a classic SAE 30 by Morris, a highly recommended oil here in the UK for the aircooled engine, i'm going to pull the starter this weekend and see what happens, as for bearing tolerences, i can see what people are saying there !!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: