Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How far would you drive for a 1966 VW project?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an Beetle on ebay, it was located in Rochester NY and I was in Central Jersey. I took a train to pick up the car, and drove the beast home about 300 miles.

-jeffrey
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How far would you drive for a 1966 VW project? Reply with quote

mikec4193 wrote:
Hi everybody

I am going to be taking a little road trip this weekend to go look at a possible VW project. It is a running and yard driveable with use of the e-brake. Looks like from a quick internet map search it is about 75 to 80 miles. the price is affordable (not cheap but I think a fair market value) compared to some I have looked at. It will need floor pans and heater channels and I would assume all the brake lines and fuel lines replaced too. It is sitting in a garage so that is a plus for me. I gotta flat bed guy hired if I like it for $250.00.

So how far do you guys travel to pick up projects? It seems like around me (Albany NY area) most of the stuff is hours and hours away.

Any insight would be awesome.

MikeC

About 6 miles round trip, I was hoping it to be more of a daily driver than a project car, but...

As soon as I saw herbie, I couldn't stop thinking about him or thinking about walking away. I think of it as a weakness, sometimes my wife claims it to be a sickness...

Yet, it's been fun.

The thing to key yourself in here is this,

Filter in the cost of arranging transport of the car to the car itself when comparing it to others out there on the market. We used our triple a membership for the tow and subsequent tows. I did also use the discount at napa auto parts for the few parts for the 66 beetle that they do carry.

More important, joins local v dub club. The guys and gals in there have the same attraction to these vehicles, and hate to see them not working.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
bugmandave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove over 180 miles each way to pick up a seat for my bus.. seller wouldn't ship it.. the wife and I made a day of it.
'63 Karmann Cabriolet L54 Poppy Red
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove 750 miles to look at my 1966 Sedan. If you're serious about buying a Beetle you should consider buying an $85 towbar.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Anthony wrote:
I flew from Longview TX to Seattle WA to look at a '67 Bug Convertible. Bought it and drove it back 2600 miles to Texas. Only problem I had was running out of gas one time due to the fuel gauge not working.

Lol the farthest i've driven was 55 miles to longview pick up my two 59's and my ghia

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road trips are awesome and less than 100 miles wouldn't even cause me a pause. I drove more than that to check out rumors and leads. Went from Erie to Fort Campbell to pick up a 67 and from Yuma to Anderson, SC to get a full length bus middle seat, yep over 2,000 miles. Have friends and family there so it was a dual purpose trip but truth be told if it weren't for the seat the trip wouldn't have happened.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove about 500 miles for mine. Is this the one on craigslist? does not look to bad if it is.
117harv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to drop off the trailer as well before going to look at a car, if you arrive with it they will be less inclined to negotiate and think they have a sure sale. Also if it is aways away from where I live, when I make arrangements to come see it, I tell them i'm going to visit some friends or family in their area so it looks like i'm not just coming to buy the car. Dont be afraid to pass if it's not what you want, pick up a local recycler and look for another in the area. You can even do some VW hunting in the local area, I have found cars in subdivisions as well as country areas. Even if you come up empty, it's still a cool road trip to get a vintage VW, what could be wrong with that Very Happy
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last trip was a total flintstone car...he had all the panels or most of them to fix it...he started it right up...ran like a top actually...it was only missing a left front fender...

I walked away from it..not sure why but I did...

Not sure if I wanna original VW or maybe a rough and tumble Baja Bug or even a rag tag Volksrod...I have been out to see three of them so far...I love all 3 kinds of Beetles....

Thanks folks for all the insight...

As far as going on a road trip...I dont enjoy that part at all...way too many crazy drivers out there to make it fun to drive anymore...kinda wanna find a chauffeur maybe...then I can look out the windows at all the scenery...

MikeC

P.S. still huntin Smile
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove 1200 miles round trip or my '72 bus and 200 miles RT for my '78 Westy. Like said above, get a Beetle tow bar. It will pay for itself many times over.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time I go on a long road trip with my truck I take my bug tow bar because you just never know what you'll see in somebody's yard for sale. Coming back from the beach one year I picked up a '72 Ghia and towed it home. Just 110 miles.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 bugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove almost 400 miles to get my 59 beetle. It sat in a pasture for 25 years until I saved it. Brought it home killed all the rats. Repaired the brake system, cleaned fuel system. Went thru the electric system. Put on new tires and put in new interior and been driving it every day. GO SAVE THAT BUG!!!!!!!
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

800 miles to pick up a 1965 sunroof car.
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: drive Reply with quote

I once drove 250km to look for a vehicle a guy told me about in northern Ontario that he saw hunting. He drew me the location of it along a fence line on a cigarette package. Turns out someone got to it before I did.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went from CT MA boarder to Bohemia Long Island for Herbie. Then from CT MA boarder to southern ME for my 66. $50.00 for a u haul and gas. We made a family trip out of the ME adventure. It was such a solid car and I got bunch of stuff so it was worth it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortride wrote:
I drove 750 miles to look at my 1966 Sedan. If you're serious about buying a Beetle you should consider buying an $85 towbar.

I did get a tow bar with mine, at least. The next vehicle we get will have a hitch!
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove about 24 hours round trip to get my '66 Bug.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikec4193 wrote:
The last trip was a total flintstone car...he had all the panels or most of them to fix it...he started it right up...ran like a top actually...it was only missing a left front fender...

I walked away from it..not sure why but I did...

Not sure if I wanna original VW or maybe a rough and tumble Baja Bug or even a rag tag Volksrod...I have been out to see three of them so far...I love all 3 kinds of Beetles....

Thanks folks for all the insight...

As far as going on a road trip...I dont enjoy that part at all...way too many crazy drivers out there to make it fun to drive anymore...kinda wanna find a chauffeur maybe...then I can look out the windows at all the scenery...

MikeC

P.S. still huntin Smile

Mike

I do agree with you on some of that driving thing on long trips can kind of suck with all the crazies on road. It gets worse in the Beetle. People go out of their way to get in front of you, running red lights, and stop signs. I don’t just mean cars but trucks and busses as well. It’s almost as if they don’t know about taking a long distance to stop or something. People just want to see what them manual drum brakes can do Oh yeah there is also the people who will constantly tailgate you now matter what speed you go. Sometimes this craziness is because they like the car.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I took a 400 mile round trip to check out and buy a transmission that was for sale here in the classifieds. Last summer my wife and I drove 350 miles to check out a bug for sale. We got a room in a hotel had some dinner and beers.Got up in the morning and bought the bug. I got a temp plate and drove it home.350 miles in your new car helps you get acquainted. Life is to short not to go on adventures
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having 2 jobs and only 1 day off a week makes taking road trips to look at rusted out over priced stuff is very frustrating for sure...still not sure how you guys find the time to chase these cars...

MikeC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: