Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.8T DIY Conversion Stephans Auto Haus Kit 1985 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here are a couple of questions for those familiar with this install.....

It is unclear to me how the alternator wiring is resolved in this installation. We have the original power & alternator signal wires (2 Red, 1 Blue) from the original harness which are intact. I also have an Alternator / AC sub harness which has a ring terminal on both ends. Is the intention that the ring terminal on the sub harness attach to the back of the alternator and the original harness ring terminal attach to the ring terminal at the other end of the sub harness?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Further, how does the blue wire which is connected to the alternator light connected?

Also we have the main batter supply and terminal block with fuses. I am interested to know where this is mounted and if the power wire here is also connected to the same terminal at the alternator?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Bill
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question for tonight......

Fuel pump power supply to the pump is via a single wire connection at the passenger side front of the engine bay. Kit calls for "2 terminal White Connector for your fuel pump from the body". I have a single black wire yellow male. New wiring harness has a 2 wire connector marked positive and negative with orange & blue wire. Wondering if this differs by year & how this needs to be connected.

Thanks.
Bill

P.S. If I don't figure this out in the next day or two, I will contact Stephan, but am posting these questions in hope that they may be a help to the next enthusiast like me who is doing his own install.....
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djsixbillion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had most of these same questions myself, and have the benefit of living about 5 minutes from SAH. Hopefully this will be of some help:

*The old alternator harness goes away, replaced by the new AC/alt sub harness which plugs into the new SAH engine harness.

*The blue wire for the alt light should be connected to the van harness inside the main wiring junction box at the front left of the engine compartment.

*Battery supply terminal block - I mounted mine in the area behind the right tail light, there is a convenient flat spot there, with (relatively) easy access to the fuses.

Bills85Westy wrote:

It is unclear to me how the alternator wiring is resolved in this installation. We have the original power & alternator signal wires (2 Red, 1 Blue) from the original harness which are intact. I also have an Alternator / AC sub harness which has a ring terminal on both ends. Is the intention that the ring terminal on the sub harness attach to the back of the alternator and the original harness ring terminal attach to the ring terminal at the other end of the sub harness?

Further, how does the blue wire which is connected to the alternator light connected?

Also we have the main batter supply and terminal block with fuses. I am interested to know where this is mounted and if the power wire here is also connected to the same terminal at the alternator?

Bill

Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! As soon as I read your post, it became perfectly clear. I didn't consider removing the old alternator harness completely.

One more question: Where does the other ring terminal of the new alternator sub harness mount? It is only long enough to just get to the back of the motor?

Unfortunately, there is nothing about these two items in the instruction manual.

Bill

djsixbillion wrote:
I had most of these same questions myself, and have the benefit of living about 5 minutes from SAH. Hopefully this will be of some help:

*The old alternator harness goes away, replaced by the new AC/alt sub harness which plugs into the new SAH engine harness.

*The blue wire for the alt light should be connected to the van harness inside the main wiring junction box at the front left of the engine compartment.

*Battery supply terminal block - I mounted mine in the area behind the right tail light, there is a convenient flat spot there, with (relatively) easy access to the fuses.

Bills85Westy wrote:

Bill

85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! As soon as I read your post, it became perfectly clear. I didn't consider removing the old alternator harness completely.

One more question: Where does the other ring terminal of the new alternator sub harness mount? It is only long enough to just get to the back of the motor?

Unfortunately, there is nothing about these two items in the instruction manual.

Bill

djsixbillion wrote:

Bills85Westy wrote:

Bill

85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
djsixbillion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bills85Westy wrote:

Bill

Should be one end to the starter, one end to the alternator. I can't remember if a power wire splits off from that subharness and goes to the terminal block as well, I can double check tonight and take a pic if it would help.
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. That is what I expected. I think I've got clarity now. Thanks again for your help!

djsixbillion wrote:
Bills85Westy wrote:

Bill

Should be one end to the starter, one end to the alternator. I can't remember if a power wire splits off from that subharness and goes to the terminal block as well, I can double check tonight and take a pic if it would help.

85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
djsixbillion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, glad to be of help.
'88MoneyPit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My red power wire was long enough that it made it to the starter, but SAH also told me to go to the alternator (after the fact). All is working fine.

I too mounted that power distribution box behind the passenger tail light. RTV the holes to keep the tire spray outside the vehicle.
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'88MoneyPit wrote:
My red power wire was long enough that it made it to the starter, but SAH also told me to go to the alternator (after the fact). All is working fine.

I too mounted that power distribution box behind the passenger tail light. RTV the holes to keep the tire spray outside the vehicle.

Good feedback. I had planned on mounting the power distribution under the intercooler, but it sounds like up behind the right tail light is better protected and accessible.
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

A few more wiring questions for those familiar with the install. These are either items that are not covered specifically in the manual or are on the 1.8 harness with no apparent home. As always, thanks in advance for the help.

I have this small 4pin connector on the end of the fuel injection / throttle body harness. Where does it go?!

The power steering pump has this small 2 pin connector, but no wire in the 1.8 harness or in SAH harness that I can see. Does it get a connection?

On the rear of the engine, adjacent to the ECT pigtail, I have this 2 wire connection with no home. Does it have one?!

Lastly, on the new SAH harness passenger front of the engine bay, I have this new large 2pin connector. It does not connect to the Alternator / AC sub harness or any other component on that side of the engine. Any ideas?

Also potentially helpful is if anyone has an online source for the wiring diagram for this motor. I have been unable to find one online & have yet to purchase a model specific service manual for this engine. Apparently, I need to!

Thanks,
Bill
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
'88MoneyPit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find this one, but will look more tonight

The power steering pump has this small 2 pin connector, but no wire in the 1.8 harness or in SAH harness that I can see. Does it get a connection?

I don't have this connection, only a banjo fitting

On the rear of the engine, adjacent to the ECT pigtail, I have this 2 wire connection with no home. Does it have one?!

I couldn't find this one either

Lastly, on the new SAH harness passenger front of the engine bay, I have this new large 2pin connector. It does not connect to the Alternator / AC sub harness or any other component on that side of the engine. Any ideas?

I think this is for the air pump

Stephen
djsixbillion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bills85Westy wrote:
Hi all,

Looks like the Intake Air Temp Sensor, connects right at the intercooler outlet.

Not used on mine either.

Not used, I just taped mine up and secured it out of the way.

Yup, looks like the air pump connection.

Thanks,
Bill

Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djsixbillion wrote:

Looks like the Intake Air Temp Sensor, connects right at the intercooler outlet.

Not used on mine either.

Not used, I just taped mine up and secured it out of the way.

Yup, looks like the air pump connection.

Thanks a bunch. The intercooler was pretty obvious. I had the intercooler in my hands for a while and didn't notice it had a sensor Rolling Eyes

I actually woke up at 3am and realized the other wire was for the air pump. Idea

I am going up to SAH on Thursday morning to look at a completed conversion just to make sure I've got everything dialed. Plan is to install engine / transmission on Saturday and have it running shortly thereafter....
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
greenraVR6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great so far! I wish I was in your shoes and actually doing an engine conversion instead of just dreaming about one...
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Long overdue for an update!

I've made a lot of progress, in fact, i'm in the final tweaking stages now, but to keep things in logical order, here we go.......

I last left off trying to sort out any loose ends before installing the engine and transmission. As stated before, not everything is clear in the installation instructions & I things just so, so it took me some time to get everything where it was acceptable.

Here are some details for those performing this install themselves.

The 1.8T engine harness wiring split loom tubing was set up with some hard plastic sections as well as the split loom. I removed all of the original and purchased 6' of 3/4" split loom from my local Napa autoparts.

Note that this loom is much longer than you'll actually need to get to the ECU location under the back seat. I ended up forming a loop above the transmission after installation & zip tying it tight to the existing harness on the drivers side. More photos on that later.

Here is the final location of the power distribution / fuse panel. This is just to the right of the intercooler. I used some RTV where this through bolts to the wheel well.

By the way, If I were to do this again, there are some things I would adjust sequence on. Installing this distribution panel is one of them. What a bitch to install this through the tail light hole with the intercooler in place. Either that, I was just too lazy to remove the intercooler Rolling Eyes

Another shot of final wire routing at this location...

These next two photos are of the reconfiguration of the intake snorkel to the MAF and air cleaner along with the N75 Solenoid and Dump valve. You are basically using all of the original parts, but reconfiguring, cutting some shorter and lengthening others to get to the new configuration. Trust me, none of these photos are going to make any sense unless you are there trying to figure this out yourself.

The instructions call for you to reconfigure this after the engine is installed, but I found it much easier to figure out on the stand.

To be continued.....
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next up was getting the transmission set up, including removing 1 cm from the input shaft, installing the adapter plate & new clutch...
My 4" grinder with cut off wheel made short work of the input shaft.

here we are with the shortened shaft and ready to install the new throwout bearing. As previously noted, I had this transmission rebuilt by AA Transaxle in 2012. I am hoping it's good for awhile assuming I don't want a different 3rd and 4th gear...

New adapter plate installed.....This really went together quickly and easily!

Together on the dolly and ready to install

I wanted to make sure I had enough room in the garage with the rear end on ramps to slide the motor in. It was just enough......

To be continued....
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motor went in quickly and easily by myself. I have to say that I prefer working by myself on things like this....I feel less rushed and enjoy myself a whole lot more.

The next part was just connecting the dots. Pretty straight forward and it didn't take too much time.

One place where I deviated from the kit was in the radiator hoses. I suspect that the radiator hoses supplied with the kit were intended for the later model 2.1 (86-91). There was no way that the hoses supplied with the kit got me close to my steel coolant pipes.

I ended up "making" a hose with sections of spare hose and duct tape and off to Napa Autoparts I went... A search of the back room found me this:

Here is the original (big) with my alternate (small) hose:

I confess that one end of this hose is 1.5" and the coolant pipe is 1.25". It seems to fit fine & doesn't leak. Time will tell....

So one of the last things I needed to do before buttoning things up was finish mounting the LEDs in the instrument cluster. What a perfect time to install T3 Techniques plasma gauge kit. What a slick kit and great instructions. I really enjoyed this project! I took the opportunity to install a new headlight switch.

And here are the new LEDs for the engine conversion glued into the back of the cluster. One is check engine, the other is anti-theft.

Raised the deck lid with Stephan's supplied frame and plexiglass storage covers.

At this point in the project, I frankly was pretty sick of spending money, but couldn't see completing this project without installing a new set of good german CV joints. I ended up using the stock GMK Lobro joints. Who knows what history my van had, i had to press off (and back on) the joints on one axle and the other side just slid right off and on. Go figure

My mechanic friend Andrew offered to loan me the correct pliers for installing the clamps on the CV boots. I told him that i'd read on the Samba about using zip ties as an alternate. He told me if I wanted to do a half-assed job, then go right ahead. I borrowed the pliers... Very Happy

I will write up the start up procedure and the problems that went along with that, but here is a teaser pic from tonight as a good place to leave off...

85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"He told me if I wanted to do a half-assed job, then go right ahead. I borrowed the pliers..."

Zip ties work great, keep the dust and water out nicely, and allow a bit of movement for the boot to work itself into the most "comfortable" position. This will vary depending on ride height.

They've been in place for ~5 years on mine, and the joints and boots are in perfect condition.

Robyn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: