Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.8T DIY Conversion Stephans Auto Haus Kit 1985 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dancing

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squeegee_boy wrote:
Quote:
"He told me if I wanted to do a half-assed job, then go right ahead. I borrowed the pliers..."

Zip ties work great, keep the dust and water out nicely, and allow a bit of movement for the boot to work itself into the most "comfortable" position. This will vary depending on ride height.

They've been in place for ~5 years on mine, and the joints and boots are in perfect condition.

Robyn

Ha! I was sure that would raise an eyebrow or two. Frankly I like the zip tie idea and will likely install them when I regrease them. I had the clamps and pliers, so i went ahead and installed them.... Very Happy
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bills85Westy wrote:
One more question for tonight......

Fuel pump power supply to the pump is via a single wire connection at the passenger side front of the engine bay. Kit calls for "2 terminal White Connector for your fuel pump from the body". I have a single black wire yellow male. New wiring harness has a 2 wire connector marked positive and negative with orange & blue wire. Wondering if this differs by year & how this needs to be connected.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks.
Bill

P.S. If I don't figure this out in the next day or two, I will contact Stephan, but am posting these questions in hope that they may be a help to the next enthusiast like me who is doing his own install.....

For future reference to anyone installing who has a single wire fuel pump, the blue wire is power for fuel pump and orange (brown) wire can be capped. I put a new end on the blue and added a heat shrink cover.
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
phlogiston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off, thanks a ton for taking the time to write this all up!

i've got a question about something in one of your pictures...

Bills85Westy wrote:

there appears to be a piece of metal running exactly horizontal in this image, just between the turbo outlet pressure pipe and the valve cover. is this a heat shield? do you have any more photos of it? also, what's the part number on the semicircular clamp bracket that holds the turbo outlet pipe to the cylinder head?

speaking of heat shields, i've heard that early version of the SAH kit included a sheet metal heat shield between the catalytic converter and the intake plumbing that goes above it. did you end up installing anything here? i wonder if the WBX heat shield could be modified for this purpose...

THANKS!!!
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phlogiston wrote:
first off, thanks a ton for taking the time to write this all up!

i've got a question about something in one of your pictures...

Bills85Westy wrote:

there appears to be a piece of metal running exactly horizontal in this image, just between the turbo outlet pressure pipe and the valve cover. is this a heat shield? do you have any more photos of it? also, what's the part number on the semicircular clamp bracket that holds the turbo outlet pipe to the cylinder head?

speaking of heat shields, i've heard that early version of the SAH kit included a sheet metal heat shield between the catalytic converter and the intake plumbing that goes above it. did you end up installing anything here? i wonder if the WBX heat shield could be modified for this purpose...

THANKS!!!

Hi,

Yes, that is a heat shield between the turbo piping and head. It is #26 in this parts diagram for the AWP motor.

I made friends with the parts counter guy at the Napa VW dealer. They were very helpful printing out the exploded diagrams of the cooling and turbo systems on the AWP.

I do not have a part number for this clamp because it came with the donor motor. I would bet that you could get this easily enough from your local VW dealer. All the parts I ordered were in hand within a day of order.

The current SAH kit comes with a heat shield between the intake piping and the catalytic converter. It is a flat panel that bolts to the stock holes. I don't think the stock heat shield will work for this because of where it sits horizontally in relation to the motor and the serpentine belt / tensioner. It is an exceptionally tight fit between the front of the motor and the body.

If you need additional photos of how the heat shield is installed, I can snap some for you.

Thanks,
Bill
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
yardbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you take a photo of the install before installing the raised deck lid? I'm just curious as to what sticks up that requires the deck lid spacer. It looks like the intake manifold and possible the oil cap? I'm looking at the awp i have in the garage and trying to picture it 15º and what the tall points are. If you took a photo from the rear of the van inline with the rear bed before the spacer, I'd like to see that.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stumbled across this thread... Good to know SAH's engine source is only 170 miles from me.... =)

Thanks a ton for the write up! It will be very helpful!
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill-

Just wanted to check in and see if you could divulge what startup problems you had (you mentioned you had some issues?). Also curious to see how you are feeling about the install all of these months later, both in terms of how the conversion is performing and maybe any issues you had with the kit/ things you wish you had done differently. I am teetering on the verge of making the plunge, so any followup thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated- thanks for all the documenting you did on this project!

Cheers,
Ryan
Some people call him Maurice...
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
Hey Bill-

Just wanted to check in and see if you could divulge what startup problems you had (you mentioned you had some issues?). Also curious to see how you are feeling about the install all of these months later, both in terms of how the conversion is performing and maybe any issues you had with the kit/ things you wish you had done differently. I am teetering on the verge of making the plunge, so any followup thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated- thanks for all the documenting you did on this project!

Cheers,
Ryan

Good gawd there are so many of these running around and no complaints... tear the damn bandaid of and do it!!! Very Happy

See my sig...
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no stress about the final product, but Bill's is the only thread I know of using the kit and doing a DIY installation. I don't have the kind of money it takes to have SAH install one for me, nor do I have the fabbing skills to totally DIY this project, so Bill's viewpoint is of great interest to me.
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ryan,

Sorry for the slow reply to your questions........

A few months and a few thousand miles after the conversion, I am still extremely happy. This thing is so much like a modern car now it how it runs and performs.

As to my start up, my biggest (and only real) issue was a loose ground!

As to the conversion and a do-it-yourselfer, this kit requires some know how and there are many places where you will need to make the leap to install and set it up how you like it. It's not like a set of instructions for an Ikea piece of furniture that says "put Tab A into Tab B and tighten the screw" There are many install steps that will take some time to consider, head scratch a little, and finally put in place. I think this is mostly because I'm not a mechanic and don't have enough knowledge about these modern engines. I have a lot more now and am extremely comfortable with all of the components (which I wanted)

As an example...
The kit comes with a modified ECU enclosure out of a later Westy (87 to 91) in which you install the new ECU in the original location under the rear seat. My 85 had the ECU behind the tail light. The directions were not specific enough for me to easily follow. I didn't know where the ECU was mounted on a later van. I had to decide where to drill the hole from the engine bay to under the seat, where to mount the ECU, Relays, fuse blocks, etc. Ultimately, I didn't use the modified ECU enclosure and just returned it to SAH.

The most important part of all of this is the support that SAH and Stephan White personally put into the conversion. Twice during my conversion I went up to Sacramento and spent some time in his shop looking at one of the his vans to answer questions. On one of those trips, Stephan spent about an hour and a half with me answering questions, and just chatting. Jeremiah was also a resource on the phone (most with me recently asking about bigger tire sizes with the 1.8 and stock gearing)

Lastly, when I had it all done, I took it up to Stephan for a final look over and to hook up the Air Conditioning. He also took it to the referee to get a BAR sticker so that I wouldn't have any issues in the future with smog, etc.

Like you, I was not able to find much information on the Samba with details about this conversion so was hoping to build kind of a support group with this thread. As i'm sure you saw, there were many helpful answers to my wiring questions.

One of the other things I've heard people question is the cost of the conversion. I want to point out that much of the cost is for service parts on the 1.8. New coil packs, new spark plugs, new MAF, new hoses etc. etc.. It could certainly be done for less, but i've done every service part and gasket on my motor.

It looks like you are close by, so I would offer that if you go forward that I would be more than happy to either visit to answer questions during your install. Also, if you'd like, I would be happy to discuss in further detail by phone. Just PM me.

Hope this helps for you and others.
Bill
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill-

Thanks so much for the reply- it really wrapped this whole thread up in a bow. Many thanks also for your generous offer- I may take you up on that! This thread has been a huge help to me as like you, I am not a mechanic, but I do enjoy wrenching and am a DIY enthusiast by nature. I am now convinced that I can pull this off, knowing that there will support both here, and from Stephan. I'm trying to source a motor locally, and I have approval from my wife, so hopefully I will be following in your footsteps this July!

Cheers,
Ryan
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
Hey Bill-

Thanks so much for the reply- it really wrapped this whole thread up in a bow. Many thanks also for your generous offer- I may take you up on that! This thread has been a huge help to me as like you, I am not a mechanic, but I do enjoy wrenching and am a DIY enthusiast by nature. I am now convinced that I can pull this off, knowing that there will support both here, and from Stephan. I'm trying to source a motor locally, and I have approval from my wife, so hopefully I will be following in your footsteps this July!

Cheers,
Ryan

Hit Stephan up, he has many good sources Very Happy
1967 Bug- Gone
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill-
Just another thank you- funding for my 1.8 conversion is secured and I'll be calling Stephan to order tomorrow! Thanks for pushing me over the edge- I can't wait to start!
Cheers,
Ryan
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
Hey Bill-
Just another thank you- funding for my 1.8 conversion is secured and I'll be calling Stephan to order tomorrow! Thanks for pushing me over the edge- I can't wait to start!
Cheers,
Ryan

Applause Applause Applause
1967 Bug- Gone
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the recommended octane for this engine?
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreggK wrote:
What is the recommended octane for this engine?

91 or higher
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone give a MPG average with the 1.8T in a manual 2wd vanagon. Stock gearing. Thanks
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreggK wrote:
Can anyone give a MPG average with the 1.8T in a manual 2wd vanagon. Stock gearing. Thanks

On a recent trip from Northern California to Southern California & back all highway between 65 & 80 mph I averaged 15.7 mpg (running 225/70R16). I am seeing better mileage driving it around town and on shorter trips where I'm running consistently lower speeds (&RPM) ~18mpg. The fuel mileage for me has been comparable to the stock WBX. As low as 15.5 and as high as 22 depending on where & what I'm doing.

My driving style could be described as "spirited".
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get about 16-17, and I use the power a lot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: