Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propane Tank Refill Adapter (from 1lb bottles) - Review
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Refill Adapter (from 1lb bottles) - Review Reply with quote

Yes Sir they are.

And they know what they're doing.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Refill Adapter (from 1lb bottles) - Review Reply with quote

Someone wearing a Kevlar suit can be useful. If you can agitate this overdressed person to be physically active for a few minutes then place the donor cylinder into this person's warm armpit the liquid transfer speed will be faster. Don't use a cigarette to agitate this person. While they may run, they may not return with the warm armpits you have organized.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This table shows the pressure that a propane tank (with even one drop of liquid) has at any temperature. Note that if your donor tank is at 80deg, and westy tank is 60 deg, there is (128-92=) 36psi to push liquid from the donor tank to the receiving tank. That's significant. Even with the tiny orifii it can't take more than a few minutes. But just know that as the donor tank empties, it "cools". As the receiving tank fills, it "warms". This is happening at the same time which will reduce the available pressure differential.

Also note that at 130F, any rubber hose that you have in your system will have 250psi. At 130F, the pressure in your disposable cylinder, if it has ONE DROP or (new) full, is 250 psi. If your refrigerator needs propane, you might consider using rubber hoses only in the cool morning (in Death valley for example). Other than that, the pressures are reasonable, not unsafe.

If you allow bubbles (propane gas) to get forced into the westy tank ---- that "wastes" pressure for liquid transfer potential. No biggie, you just have to warm up your donor tank again, or cool your westy tank to regenerate the pressure differential. This is just a reminder to keep in mind where the liquid is (at the bottom) and employ the pressure difference to force it into the receiving tank.

I bought the transfer hose but HAVE NOT yet tried refilling my Westy tank. But this is the rundown how I understand it from (many times) re-filling 1-lb disposable cylinders with a 20lb (5 gallon) propane tank.

The details (as I understand them) restated.

- Donor tank warmer than receiving tank (= more transfer pressure)
- Donor tank inverted (so liquid is at bottom)
- Hose as vertical as possible (maintain a downhill slope to Westy tank).
- Give time for gas (above) to push the liquid out of the hose before disconnect. Warm the hose with your hands. This is to NOT waste the volume of liquid propane in the hose to the atmosphere upon disconnect (and lots safer too).

I bought the hose for connecting the 20-lb (POL) to Westy (ACME) so I can top off my Westy tank from home, but it seems like just carrying two disposable cylinders might be sufficient.

I'd like to hear from a Propex user who has run out, refilled, then how many hours of heat did you get from one cylinder.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Refill Adapter (from 1lb bottles) - Review Reply with quote

I've used the 1lb disposable >>> Vanagon tank refill method several times. Yesterday I measured:

- Vanagon propane tank: 51 degrees
- 1lb disposable tank at start of transfer: 74 degrees, 29.4 ounces
- 1lb disposable tank after transfer: 14.0 ounces (did not measure the temp)

This moved about 15.4 ounces from the disposable to the van showing that the method above gets nearly all the propane out of the disposable.

I don't know how long the propex runs on 1lb because I added the propane before the tank was empty because I didn't want to d it in the middle of the night. Very Happy

[/img]

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Refill Adapter (from 1lb bottles) - Review Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Terry Kay wrote:
Perfoming this transfer by an untrsined, unprofessional, is dangerous, and not at all healthy.

Be sure to have a kevlar suit on while your at it.
Propane should be introduced as a vapor, tank to tank not liquid.

Go for it.

So propane tanks are filled at hardware stores and gas stations in the US by trained professionals wearing Kevlar suits?

No, but the propane you get put into a 25# BBQ cylinder is different than the propane sold to you in the green 1# can. One critical difference is the amount of water allowed, so that the green cans don't rust.

That's the reason this

Quote:
I refill the little green 1 lb disposables from an 20-lb OPD style tank.

...is a very bad idea, and actually a Federal law violation to transport such a 'refilled green can' - which are single use cans under DOT 39.
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Refill Adapter (from 1lb bottles) - Review Reply with quote

I have this adaptor to fill 1lb tanks using a 20 lb tank and a hose from my extend a stay that I have not installed yet. Is this essentially the same as what is being offered for sale? We use our fridge a lot and I like the idea of being able to add propane to the tank to keep the fridge running until we can find a place to refill the on-board tank. I was going to order the kit but I don't want to essentially buy what I already have. Thanks

Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Refill Adapter (from 1lb bottles) - Review Reply with quote

Pascal wrote:
I have this adaptor to fill 1lb tanks using a 20 lb tank and a hose from my extend a stay that I have not installed yet. Is this essentially the same as what is being offered for sale? We use our fridge a lot and I like the idea of being able to add propane to the tank to keep the fridge running until we can find a place to refill the on-board tank. I was going to order the kit but I don't want to essentially buy what I already have. Thanks

I have thjis stuff!

[/img][/quote]
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Refill Adapter (from 1lb bottles) - Review Reply with quote

So it looks pretty much the same as mine with a different fitting for my POL tank. I tested it yesterday but my 1lb tank was not new and all I could tell is that it filled the hose and nothing went into the Westy tank.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Refill Adapter (from 1lb bottles) - Review Reply with quote

AFAIK the kit is not used to refill the westy tank with liquid propane. It is there to use the vapor from the 1lb bottle to run the stove or fridge.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Refill Adapter (from 1lb bottles) - Review Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
AFAIK the kit is not used to refill the westy tank with liquid propane. It is there to use the vapor from the 1lb bottle to run the stove or fridge.

This particular kit is to get a bit of propane in the on board tank so that you can run the fridge until you can find a propane fill station.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1567630

Before I buy the kit, I'm just wondering if what I already have is essentially the same thing as this kit.

Thanks
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Refill Adapter (from 1lb bottles) - Review Reply with quote

Quote:
The only experience I have thus far is from refilling 1 lb disposables from a 20 lb tank.

Just to reiterate for the two posters above who do this.

This is illegal in the US and there is a hefty fine for transporting refilled, 1lb propane containers in a car.

I don't know about Canada, but they are usually ahead of us on safety stuff.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Refill Adapter (from 1lb bottles) - Review Reply with quote

Quote:

'Xactly. In fact, you can turn off the tank and my tap-hose-tank will run the stove and fridge, which is quite a comfort.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Refill Adapter (from 1lb bottles) - Review Reply with quote

Pascal wrote:
dobryan wrote:

This particular kit is to get a bit of propane in the on board tank so that you can run the fridge until you can find a propane fill station.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1567630

Before I buy the kit, I'm just wondering if what I already have is essentially the same thing as this kit.

Thanks

I think what it missing is this?

If you can get your POL in the fill valve then that may work?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Refill Adapter (from 1lb bottles) - Review Reply with quote

I repeated this today: emptied two green disposable 1 lb bottles into an empty Westy propane tank with an ACME fill port. The Westy tank was about 55 degrees F and the green bottles were about 75 degrees F. Each green bottle was about 14 ounces after taking about a minute to empty. This is a great solution when propane is needed for the stove or Propex.

jimf909 wrote:
I've used the 1lb disposable >>> Vanagon tank refill method several times. Yesterday I measured:

- Vanagon propane tank: 51 degrees
- 1lb disposable tank at start of transfer: 74 degrees, 29.4 ounces
- 1lb disposable tank after transfer: 14.0 ounces (did not measure the temp)

This moved about 15.4 ounces from the disposable to the van showing that the method above gets nearly all the propane out of the disposable.

I don't know how long the propex runs on 1lb because I added the propane before the tank was empty because I didn't want to d it in the middle of the night. Very Happy

[/img]

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Refill Adapter (from 1lb bottles) - Review Reply with quote

This is a cheap and sustainable way to refill 1 lb bottles.

https://www.rei.com/product/113711/flame-king-refillable-propane-cylinder-with-refill-kit-1-lb
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Refill Adapter (from 1lb bottles) - Review Reply with quote

I use this type, it's only the little adapter, it's $6.70 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077SP5BJP/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_C2.ODbDTHG64Q

These are good to have for re-using "one-time-use" propane cannisters.
Even if the valve leaks the propane can't get out.
$8.45 for qty4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMFWX7S/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_k5.ODb3P7WQ0P

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
monstersteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Refill Adapter (from 1lb bottles) - Review Reply with quote

I don't get why some folks want to try and use the Monster refill adapter to dump multiple 1 lb canisters into the westy tank.

The idea is this device is set up to put in enough propane to keep a camper happy until they get to a gas station, RV place or whatever to fill up the tank with LP. I have gone days using stove and fridge on just what came out of the little green canister before I got to a propane dealer.

First of all, the 1 lb canisters are going to be more expensive than what you should be paying from a propane dealer. Second, the adapter works on propane equalization between the two tanks. At some point you are not going to be able to push any more LP from the canister into your tank, regardless of how hot your Kevlar-suited friend gets his armpit. So, stop trying to refill your tanks from 5 gal, and 1 lb. canisters. Go to the propane dealer where they have big old pressurized tanks than can actually push enough LP into your westy's tank to fill it up all the way. And for Pete's sake, don't be heating your canisters with a blow torch to up the input pressure.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Refill Adapter (from 1lb bottles) - Review Reply with quote

I ditched my propane tank. I can still referb it. However I don't mind the 1lb canisters. I hardly cook inside my van anyways.

I have no problems at all refilling my canisters. I freeze the empty ones 30 mins before I refill them.

light weight baby
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Tank Refill Adapter (from 1lb bottles) - Review Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

I have no problems at all refilling my canisters. I freeze the empty ones 30 mins before I refill them.

(Don't try the following at home, folks...)

I don't even bother with the freezing. I filed down the ends of a large pair of angled needle-nose pliers so that I can grip the relief valve pin. I pull that out while filling the can. I stop when I reckon it's full (you get quite good at this with practice) and check the canister doesn't now weigh more than 29oz (they weigh 13oz when empty). If so, I let a bit out of the relief valve to ensure it's not overfilled. Saved me a fortune when we used to use a Mr Buddy heater. Now the canisters are just used as emergency spares if the main tank becomes empty. I have an extra connector under the sink for this purpose.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: