Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot water at the Tap (Calorifier)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Hot water at the Tap (Calorifier) Reply with quote

We have tried just about every imaginal product sold to have a hot water shower on the van. Solar heated bags, Propane fired heat exchangers, Road Shower 4s, propane fired tank heaters, boiling water on the stove, etc. They all work but require setup time or enough solar to heat up enough for a hot shower. The Road Shower works great as long as you can park with it in the sun for a few hours. Free heat. The propane fired units also worked well but I wanted to get away from the need for more propane usage.

I looked into heat exchangers but did not want to leave the engine running to take a shower. I also wanted to use the engine coolant as a heat source and store hot water. (Free Heat)

From my sailing experience I looked into Calorifiers from the U.K. They make so many different models. I chose a 10 litre or 2.64 gallon storage size with a 110v immersion heater. They make 12v immersion models also. As of now I have not hooked up the electrical immersion.

The size I chose had the storage I required and a foot print that would not take away too much from the under-bench storage area. Length-575mm / 22.64 inch Width-240mm/9.45 inch Height-245mm/9.65 inch. I also wanted to keep it as light as possible and get the weight lower in the van than the gutter mount systems. At 8kg or 17.63 lbs empty and 18kg or 39.65 lbs wet, I enjoyed a savings on weight from the RoadShower 4s that weighs in over 53 lbs wet. With the thermostatic mixer valve I still get about 4 gallons of hot water.

After discussing with my wife about loosing the rear heater, that we used a lot, installation was very straight forward. I had previously upgraded my water lines with braided pvc and installed a new SureFlo pump. The in-tank pump was not adequate for the external water attachment that I wanted. I used this for the outdoor shower and to spray off muddy bikes and gear.

With the EJ25 conversion my rear heater loop serviced the engine loop required to bring the engine temperature up to open the thermostat. Since this was already plumbed for the rear heater the hookups were easy. I used copper sweated fittings and 1/2" tubing for the hose connections. Then 3/8" braided reinforced PVC tubing from the pump in and out to an expansion tank.

Initial testing is positive. The thermostatic mixer valve will let me adjust the water temperature from cold (tank temps) to hot (149°). I have it set at about 110° as in the videos. So I can have cold tank water or anything up to 149°f out of the sink tap. It is very well insulated and when 175° inside the outside of the tank is 80°f. I will insulate all the lines and around the tank also.

Here is the model I chose: https://www.heatso.com/surecal-horizontal-10-litre-2-64-gal-single-coil-calorifier/

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hot water at the Tap (Calorifier) Reply with quote

Nice!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hot water at the Tap (Calorifier) Reply with quote

That's pretty neat.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot water at the Tap (Calorifier) Reply with quote

That unit looks like it might fit nicely in the space above/beside the transaxle on the driver's side of a 2WD...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: