Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58 beetle from stocker to period styled rally car build.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks chris, in my dreams maybe. Laughing for the time being i'll settle for drivable and fun.

not much progress to speak of. I made the bracket to hold the clip that stops the map light drooping when not in use... the double sided tape I tried first just didn't cut it.
it would have been so simple if I was willing to drill a hole.
it amazes me how I take so much time to make even the simplest part.

no pictures as I'm not happy with how it sits... it works, but will get replaced with a nicer flush fitting version at some stage.
for the time being there are plenty of things still in the works that are more interesting/important than making a pretty bracket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a while I've been thinking I desperately need a separate tool kit to go in this car. up until now I've only ever run 1 set of tools, but over the many years between last having a registered vw and getting this car, my tools moved from being carried about in ex army steel ammo boxes, to living in my fake assistant. (one day i'll find a real one in my budget)
as you can imagine you can't really fold up the assistant and put it under the bonnet.

I had been putting it off as i couldn't justify spending good money on a spare set of tools and really didn't want to buy a cheap nasty set.

fast forward to the weekend, my wife asks me to come grocery shopping with her "just to get a few things". i hate shopping (for anything other than car stuff) but she really wanted me to go... so i went.
as we got there i saw the local farmers markets were on in the park opposite. after a little negotiation i got 5 minutes to go and have a look.

i had five minutes and a grand total of $5 in my back pocket but had that feeling I'd find something good. after briskly walking past some stalls selling garage sale type stuff and others with new age/crafty gear i spotted a box of tools on a table. normally they are cheap nasty stuff, but this guy had snap-on etc. it was all imperial but i asked about hazet and stahlwille anyway. he pointed to a HAZET sparkplug socket.

$5

i damn near ripped the pocket off my pants getting the note out.

he was a bit chatty and was interesting but i was getting antsy as i didn't want to annoy my wife. just as I'm about to make my excuses and hustle back to the shops he says "I've got some metric spanners too, i got them when i bought out a tool shop in the 70's" ... ok. maybe stay a little longer and deal with the trouble when it happens.
he goes to his car and pulls out a tool box full of quality gear. he picks out some HAZET 600 spanners. I'm getting excited but dreading the price. he says the full set isn't there so he'll have to get the others from his shed and will bring them back next markets... $20.
I'm trying not to bounce up and down like a little kid, but am worried about the wait as i always forget when the markets are on... he looked a bit iffy about giving me his phone number but gave it too me anyway.

so to cut a long story from being any longer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i would have loved lower case stuff to match the car, but won't complain. Very Happy the 11mm is missing but it is a damn good start to my car tool kit and so so so much better than cheap nasty new stuff.
the extra one is a 9mm 605 shorty. he also had a HAZET 17-19 ring-ring that would have been the perfect addition, but still uses it regularly, so I wasn't going to hassle him for it.

PS. I got back to my wife just in time too... well before she noticed how long I had been anyway, which is good enough. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...my wife asks me to come grocery shopping with her "just to get a few things". i hate shopping (for anything other than car stuff) but she really wanted me to go... so i went."

Happy wife, happy life. Very Happy

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the silly season and a little distraction, all I have done to the beetle is drive it. Laughing

the distraction was rescued on Tuesday and is safely in the hands of a total loony. expect some 36hp silliness when he starts posting about the build.

yes it is another horizon blue 58/9.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
petemart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: 58 beetle from stocker to period styled rally car build. Reply with quote

What's happening with this Henry??
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 beetle from stocker to period styled rally car build. Reply with quote

hi pete, not much at all. an old unpaid fine caught up with me so my licence is suspended till i sort it out. on top of that i've been distracted with a new hobby.
artguy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Try Jeff Palya for your SU contact Reply with quote

.....and the carbs desperately need a rebuild, thankfully there are kits available that include new throttle shafts and bushes. if anyone knows a source of the flat elliptical bell mouths for 1 1/8" SU please post it.

Hey Try Jeff Palya at:
http://www.paltech1.com/index.html

Paltech Micropolishing LLC

Jeff Palya
3931 Miller Dr.
Brunswick, OH 44212

He did a resto on my SU's for my EMPI Speedwell Sprint Kit and did an amazing job...sourced all the parts needed to complete resto. He IS your man for this.

All the best
artguy1
lovinbronx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 beetle from stocker to period styled rally car build. Reply with quote

henry roberts wrote:
hi pete, not much at all. an old unpaid fine caught up with me so my licence is suspended till i sort it out. on top of that i've been distracted with a new hobby.

Hey Henry

If you are keen to sell the carb kit and Br25 dizzy drop me a PM

Dan
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 beetle from stocker to period styled rally car build. Reply with quote

thanks, but no thanks. Very Happy i've been trying to make up my mind about selling a 60's 1300 sp carb kit for 6 months now... and i seriously doubt i will ever have a 1300 sp car. selling something i will use, with my hoarding tendencies... just not going to happen.

thanks artguy, i'll see if he can help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: