Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split my 40 horse case. Guess what I found...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Split my 40 horse case. Guess what I found... Reply with quote

Cam Bearings!

I'm the third owner of this 1964 bug. And as far as I know, this engine has never been opened before. It's got 373 square boss heads.

Case #9298592 with a "D" under the numbers. What does the "D" mean?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's my bug currently on a body dolly

Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a 65* case, so yes, it has cam bearings, it's not original to the car for sure

*probably january 65, the 1965 lists seem to have many typos
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky u, had mains checked to be tight fit in case yet? A set of 83mm c&p's would be good now, harder to find now tho. As usual no warranty offered at this time.
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
that's a 65* case, so yes, it has cam bearings, it's not original to the car for sure

*probably january 65, the 1965 lists seem to have many typos

I just checked the Beetle chassis/VIN # page:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

It seems you're right, SLow 1200. My car was born on June 1964, so her engine should start with a "8". Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe the first owner swapped the engine?

I bought this when I was in high school in 1990. It's been in storage since 1991.

I sent off for the birth certificate in June so hopefully I'll hear from them early next year (sooner I hope). I wonder if there's still a chance it could be original to the car. Think
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morymob wrote:
Lucky u, had mains checked to be tight fit in case yet? A set of 83mm c&p's would be good now, harder to find now tho. As usual no warranty offered at this time.

Thanks, Morymob. I'll check the fitment of the case and crank mains tonight.

Rimco sells 77mm Mahle for the purists:

http://www.rimcovw.com/PISTON-AND-CYLINDER-SETS-WHYPEREUTECTIC-POSTONS_p_171.html

But, I ordered 83mm P&Cs from AA:

http://aapistons.com/collections/vw-piston-liner-kits/products/83x64mm-1200cc-40-horse-big-bore-kit

If I can't find a better set, I'll get the main bearings from AA also:

http://aapistons.com/collections/main-bearings/products/sliver-line-main-bearings-for-type-1

They also have shims in case I decide to go with a 69mm crank:

http://aapistons.com/collections/cylinder-shims/products/77-83mm-40hp-1200cc-cylinder-shim-set-of-4

As of now I'll probably stick with the 64mm crank if it's still good. If not, Bugparts sells 'em:

http://bugparts.com/reground-crankshaft-64mm-stroke-all-36hp

Or a counterweighted 64mm crank from Wolfgang Int.:

https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/product/counterweighted-crankshafts-stock-stroke-1105164/
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Split my 40 horse case. Guess what I found... Reply with quote

If u keep the 64 crank i would have it magnafluxed 4 cracks, if u hang it by a rope and give it a lickwith hammer u should get a good bell like ring, if cracked wont do this but a very small starting crack won't show. As usual no warranty offered at this time.
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Split my 40 horse case. Guess what I found... Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, Morymob. I'm gonna have a machine shop check it out. Most likely Rimco.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Split my 40 horse case. Guess what I found... Reply with quote

send crank to hose "A" at dpr.
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Split my 40 horse case. Guess what I found... Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
send crank to hose "A" at dpr.

Thanks, Mark. I was thinking of using either Rimco, DPR or Wolfgang Int. Do you think it's worth getting it counterweighted? I don't plan on revving it over 5k. Just a daily driver to my work and back (10 miles each way).
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Split my 40 horse case. Guess what I found... Reply with quote

By the way, the "VW D" like that was only used for the latter half of model year 1965. 1966 saw VW's expansion of engine selection and for that, they reset the 1200 series to zero and moved the "VW D" to in front of the serial number. They only started stamping it like yours is, just a couple of days before your engine was produced, at number 9247364.

Back when VW sold exchange engines, they would often add cam bearings to the early 40HP blocks - this was in conjunction with them "planing" the case halves prior to line boring. VW would stamp a letter "P" by the case half above the pulley when they did so, and since your block does not have this stamp, I suspect that someone other than VW added the cam bearing shells to this engine.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Split my 40 horse case. Guess what I found... Reply with quote

Andy, I always thought that 9million engine-number cases (august 64 and later) already had cam bearings, I don't have my PR handy to check right now though
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Split my 40 horse case. Guess what I found... Reply with quote

No, they did not. You may be thinking about how the oil filler hole got bigger.

But no cam bearings until D0000001

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Split my 40 horse case. Guess what I found... Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the helpful insight, Andy. It's always great to get to know my bug as I learn more about her.

Here's what I'm gonna do:

Dog house oil cooler conversion
373 heads (not 1300)
64mm crank
Dual 28 PCIs from Tim
Bosch 010 from Glenn
1.1:1 ratio rocker arms
Engle W-100 cam, lifters and bearings
Sebring stainless steel sport exhaust
Vintage Fram oil filter
Ampco oiler

I'll fab up the manifolds and post 'em here later.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Split my 40 horse case. Guess what I found... Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, turns out I was wrong, learn something everyday!
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Split my 40 horse case. Guess what I found... Reply with quote

I am considering dual 28's for my 40hp......who is Tim? Does he sell them ready to go?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Split my 40 horse case. Guess what I found... Reply with quote

Perhaps but I don't think it's very likely. No company mass-produces an "off the shelf" style intake manifold/linkage setup for the 40HP 1200 engine. Most have to be custom made unless you find some 40 year old kit.
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Split my 40 horse case. Guess what I found... Reply with quote

Tim sells carbs outright and ready to go @ Volkzbitz (not linkage or manifolds):

http://volkzbitz.com/

Here's his feedback thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...mp;start=0

I'm getting two 28PCIs from him. I'll be fabbing up the intake manifolds and post the process here on Vintage Speed. Dong inspired me to give it a go myself:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=599794

If my efforts turn out crappy on the manifolds then I'll hit up metal magician Danny Gabbard to see if he'll make them for me.

As for linkage, well, I refer to my VW mentor and friend Johnny of Volkswagen Wizard, a local vdub shop.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Split my 40 horse case. Guess what I found... Reply with quote

Great! Thanks for the links!
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Split my 40 horse case. Guess what I found... Reply with quote

I have a D hole 1200 40 hp case with case number 9306059 that does not have Cam bearings, Nice thing about this case it is only on the first cut on the mains so it has some life left in it.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Split my 40 horse case. Guess what I found... Reply with quote

I have one like that too... which corroborates the factory documentation
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: