Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 vs. Type 1 shifter
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Type 3 vs. Type 1 shifter Reply with quote

Hello,

I purchased a chrome stock Type 3 shifter for a few bucks for my Manx buggy ('63 type 1 pan). When I installed it, It didn't seem to be engaging in any gears, so I took it out I compared it to both early and late Type 1 shifters I have around. I noticed that the Type 3 shifter appears to be shorter between the "cup" of the shifter (where it contacts the bolt-down base) and the ball of the shifter, where it fits into the shift rod:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My question: Is the shifter base of a type 3 shifter shorter, or otherwise much different than a Type 1 shifter base? The base that came with the Type 3 shifter I bought looks just like the Type 1 shifter plates I have, but I noticed that other Type 3 shifters have a different, much larger boot, along with a different base:

Thanks for any info you can give.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 vs. Type 1 shifter Reply with quote

Do you have the slot cut into the shift rod cup to accommodate the locating pin the Type 3 shifter? If not the ball of the shifter will not engage into the shift rod cup. When I installed a Type 3 shifter in my 69 Baja, I had to cut this slot into the shift rod cup.

Here is one without a slot.

Here is one with a slot.

Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 vs. Type 1 shifter Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Do you have the slot cut into the shift rod cup to accommodate the locating pin the Type 3 shifter? If not the ball of the shifter will not engage into the shift rod cup. When I installed a Type 3 shifter in my 69 Baja, I had to cut this slot into the shift rod cup.

Thanks - yes, the shift rod cup does have the slot.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 vs. Type 1 shifter Reply with quote

Hi. Yes, the shifter base is matched to the type 3 shifter.
There was a change at approx. '71 or '72 where the shifter seemed to have a slightly shorter "throw" from gear to gear. I'm not sure if VW changed the later base to possibly be a closer, or identical, match to the type 1 components.
Bill.
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 vs. Type 1 shifter Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Hi. Yes, the shifter base is matched to the type 3 shifter.
There was a change at approx. '71 or '72 where the shifter seemed to have a slightly shorter "throw" from gear to gear. I'm not sure if VW changed the later base to possibly be a closer, or identical, match to the type 1 components.
Bill.

Bill, thanks so much. Now to find a base to match the shifter.
santosmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 vs. Type 1 shifter Reply with quote

Steve
did you resolve the issues ,mine is a Fastback 69 and i removed a bushing from the top of the lever

and order the couple holder and is the same now in 4th gear got loose from the rod , cut a plastic bottle neck to help push in the lever.
i think the lever use a super beetle bushing.
i want to buy a short sifter but if i don't resolve this ill never happened
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
catbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 vs. Type 1 shifter Reply with quote

Interesting, I never would have thought there would have been a difference.

I guess I will find out on my '70 when I fit one of the Hurst shifters to my Square.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 vs. Type 1 shifter Reply with quote

catbox wrote:
Interesting, I never would have thought there would have been a difference.

I guess I will find out on my '70 when I fit one of the Hurst shifters to my Square.

I've put many hurst's into many type 3's, it's my favorite somewhat budget shifter - I guess now not so much. Anyways, no issues, no mods needed. Enjoy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: