Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stripping carpet adhesive/tar board from floor/carpet area?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Stripping carpet adhesive/tar board from floor/carpet area? Reply with quote

Is there a good/cheap alternative for stripping the carpet adhesive spray and tar paper and other gunk from under the carpet? I really don't want to eat into the paint. And I hate using Jasco. It's so caustic and a mess to clean up. It's not like I can hose the inside of my car out. That stuff splatters everywhere and would continue to remove paint from anyplace it hit (dash!). And it would for sure eat the paint that is still there that I would not want removed. Like under the dash where the carpet goes.

I had to clean up the floor on a '49 Lincoln with tar paper that was adhered to the floor. Not sure if it was actual adhesive or just years of being baked on. But it took a damn air chisel to get the stuff off. And even after using the air chisel I was going to use Jasco and repaint. Have not been able to inspect my new '67 yet (being shipped). But the carpet looks og. So I assume there is a mix of tar board and carpet adhesive that has been setting up for years.

I read this thread about Dawn Power Dissolver. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7449434#7449434 Which used to be $3 a can. And supposedly worked AWESOME. But now's it's $9.37 a bottle! Dawn must have figured out how great it was.

Any advice before I break out the air chisel? I assume a stronger oven cleaner could handle the carpet adhesive. But if the tar board is stuck as much as my '49 Lincoln. It's going to be a total PITA. I'm having the interior done. And I want to strip off all the crud before having them put down sound deadener and carpet padding.

Last edited by moab762 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a heat gun and a few different size putty knives on my tar boards. For the left over adhesive I believe I used acetone and some rags to clean that stuff off. Probably even used the putty knives there too when the stuff softened up.
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if brake cleaner might be a place to start with the carpet adhesive. I've only used it on old gun parts though. Seems to strip paint a little to well. I might just try some simple green soaked over night and covered with plastic bag maybe. If I could just get the adhesive and tar up without disturbing the paint that would be nice. The car was painted not long ago. I mean about ten years ago. But then it was garaged for 10 years.

I'll just start trying some test spot when it gets here. Acetone too maybe on the glue.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some guys have used dry ice to freeze the tar on pans before chipping it off on Type 3's.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine swears by Goof Off for getting ahesives off. Should work good for carpet glue.
I normally just use a DA or my trusty 90* die grinder with those textured grit discs (not actual sand paper).
As for tar board left overs, putty knife and a heat gun should take care of that.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offshores wrote:
I used a heat gun and a few different size putty knives on my tar boards. For the left over adhesive I believe I used acetone and some rags to clean that stuff off. Probably even used the putty knives there too when the stuff softened up.

This is exactly what I had to do to approx. 20 sq. feet of my '66 microbus. Took a long time- but came out clean. I saved myself a cue ball-sized glob of the tar to remind myself never, ever, embark on a similar project again.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
moab762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
offshores wrote:

This is exactly what I had to do to approx. 20 sq. feet of my '66 microbus. Took a long time- but came out clean. I saved myself a cue ball-sized glob of the tar to remind myself never, ever, embark on a similar project again.

Good one, Hitest! lol!
jeston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripping carpet adhesive/tar board from floor/carpet area? Reply with quote

Is it always worth removing the tar board? I have a pan that looks pretty solid. I see som minor surface rust around the edge of the tar board. Should I take it all out or leave it? 1958 Baja with ragtop slider that just came into the family.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: