Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zaney's 1965 Vintage Rally Racer Restoration Adventure!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaney24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitest,
Car looks great in the Vintage row! 106 is a bit hot for car shows especially without beer gardens Cool

I am hoping to get my car at least a driver by this summer's Northwest Vintage Meet in Shoreline, WA with the Cascade Kombis!

I like that Cibie Spot too!
zaney24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Bed liner pan pics Reply with quote

I finally have the pan ready for the axles to go back on and run new send/return fuel lines (3/8" with -6AN fittings)

http://www.amazon.com/U-Pol-Products-0825-RAPTOR-Black/dp/B00NOIKSPC

Amazon is your friend!

Sprayed on easily and cured to a Bombproof finish! Hopefully, it will last as long as the claims said.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I covered the areas I didn't want sprayed like bolt holes and seat rails. They were just painted black.
The bottom was coated too, just no pics.

Excited for the next step in making it a roller again!
Orby1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Zaney's 1965 Vintage Rally Racer Restoration Adventure! Reply with quote

Hello chaps!
I just Googled Bob Beales for a friend and saw a pic of his car next to mine, followed the link, and got to here! I took the photo at The Apex Festival in Kent, UK, where I was lucky enough to have Bob take me round the track in his yellow and black '58 Okrasa bug.
I've been a member here for ages but have hardly posted, preferring to 'lurk'.
Anyway I've bookmarked this thread and will follow with interest, as I love rally bugs.
I'll leave you with another pic or two of Bob from Apex.

And the dash of Bob's '58.

All the best and good luck with the build,
Julian.
ultralite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Zaney's 1965 Vintage Rally Racer Restoration Adventure! Reply with quote

I love the look of these rally cars and thinking about building one with my son. We love riding forest roads in our Westy.

One thing I've been wondering, why are black paint hoods common on these?

I've seen the VW Porsche Austria tribute car around here and on Petrolicious with its black hood. But then noticed that other rally Beetles had a black hood as well.

'76 Beetle (sold)
'69 Beetle (sold)
'72 BMW 2002 (RIP)
'69 Westy
'02 BMW wagon AWD w/stick shift(sold)
'67 Beetle (sold)
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Zaney's 1965 Vintage Rally Racer Restoration Adventure! Reply with quote

Black hoods are to reduce glare. Cool
Many race cars with bright lights have them.
Have a great day.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
zaney24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Zaney's 1965 Vintage Rally Racer Restoration Adventure! Reply with quote

Here is a taste of what got me hooked on Rally driving!
2 years ago I was fortunate enough to go 30 min from my house to take the 2 day AWD class for my 40th birthday present! Now, I want to go back to Dirtfish and take the Advanced RWD class! We are finally having Rallycross events around here that I can enter my car when it's finished!

Link

zaney24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Zaney's 1965 Vintage Rally Racer Restoration Adventure! Reply with quote

Goodness, it's been too long since I last updated this build thread Shocked

Lots of changes this past year, some good and some not so good. But, the VW has a new home while it is being reassembled. Faith Farm, just outside of Redmond. (Thanks Josh & Katy!)

I was going for the whole 'Barn Find' Race Car theme anyways but, now it's legit!

Not going to lie, it is not the easiest place to work but at least the car is out of the elements for the most part. I am trying to soak up the nice days we are having up here in the PNW.

I am able to spread out a little bit and not get in the way of a working horse farm but I am very grateful for the stall I can store the race car!

Barn Find Race Car!

Faith Farm with supervisor Titan!

[/img]

Rear Axle with Atomwerks Poorman Spring Plates and Red Konis

CB Performance 2 inch narrowed front adjustable beam w/sway bar

Nothing like drilling out a broken bolt in an engine block, outside Shocked

Suby 2.5L Short block about ready for new parts and gaskets!

That's about it for now. I will try and get out there while the weather holds but, that is changing already. My goal is to have this car on the road by this time next year! If not sooner Very Happy
Duder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Zaney's 1965 Vintage Rally Racer Restoration Adventure! Reply with quote

Very cool to see some progress. The Subaru swap is an interesting twist - keep us posted!

I've taken inventory of the Rally Beetle threads here, and there aren't many. Hoping to start my own in the near future as I turn my lowered '66 into a vintage rally inspired rig. So far, I have some 356 steelies, some snow tires, and a MiG 29 clock. Need to keep collecting parts!

1966 Beetle | 1973 BMW 2002 | 1975 Volvo 245 | 1981 Volvo 242 | 1993 Miata | 1964 Ford Viccup P71
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
1965VWBUGGER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Zaney's 1965 Vintage Rally Racer Restoration Adventure! Reply with quote

It had been a while since I popped in here. A Subi Swap!!! Dang I remember mentioning it the day she left my hands but kudos for keeping things going. I had heard rumors that you had passed it along but happy to see you still have it just moved to a new spot to build. Hope everything is going well for ya. We picked up another project ourselves but ran out of steam fast on it. A 62 Austin Healey Sprite. It needs a new home as well. Running gear is complete it just needs some serious love everywhere else. I'm working on old tube radios now for a hobby. I'm still kicking around and still driving VWs. I'd love to find a square back still. Take care. Looks great cannot waot to see it on the road again.
zaney24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Zaney's 1965 Vintage Rally Racer Restoration Adventure! Reply with quote

Spring 2017 Update!!

It has been a rough winter here in the PNW Sad Cold and wetter than the past few years and the sun rarely made an appearance. Which stinks when you are working on your car outside.

But, I have sucked it up and visited the Farm any dry day that I could. I have made progress and actually MARRIED the body and pan!

Other items of note: replaced hard fuel lines in the tunnel, refreshed and modified the pedal cluster, built the Suby motor up to a longblock, and stripped down the wiring harness.

So, now it is the push to hit it hard every dry day that I can get out there! Still lots to do but having the body back on the pan makes it feel like a real car again!

Here is the car next to the dolly

Side shot of the beetle

Suby Longblock

Pedal cluster with clutch extension

Rear fuel injection sendandreturn hard lines

Front fuel lines

Fuel injection and intake manifold ready to be cleaned up!

Wiring harness getting stripped down

and the barn stall getting reorganized

Hopefully, I can get out to the car this weekend to make some more headway!

Cheers!
zaney24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Zaney's 1965 Vintage Rally Racer Restoration Adventure! Reply with quote

I had some time this past week and on the weekend to work on the Rallye Car!
I took a couple before pics of the intake manifold and fuel injection parts before I disassembled it. But, here it is in pieces.

Took the bugs front end and secured it on a saw horse so I could clean up the wheel wells and under the fuel tank.

A couple hours with a wire wheel and degreaser payed off!
The wheel wells got a layer of new rubberized undercoating to help with the gravel noise!

And under the fuel tank just got a black Zero Rust coating to clean things up!

Under the hood was cleaned up and soon to be prepped for Sea Blue paint.

I am wondering what to do with the crack in the front hood. I am leaning toward a backing plate on the inside and try to carefully weld it up.

Ideas are welcome!

Here is an idea of a vintage rallye car that I like!

Cheers!
BotanyBandit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Zaney's 1965 Vintage Rally Racer Restoration Adventure! Reply with quote

That Upol is awesome stuff! They make a tintable version that I recently used. Easy to work with and rugged as hell. I plan on shooting my pan with black like yours. I already used POR-15 after a sandblasting. Would rather have a rubberized texture to it though! looks good !
zaney24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Zaney's 1965 Vintage Rally Racer Restoration Adventure! Reply with quote

Summer Update!

Fast Eddy has a new (cleaner)home! Found a garage / workshop that I can work in and not have to cover everything from dust. I appreciated the Farm but this will get me through until I can get a house with a garage.

Anywho, I decided to get busy on painting the interior first thing. I got some acrylic enamel paint in L360 Sea Blue. Took my time to clean and wipe everything down. Masked off the floor and holes. Then, shot it !

Not too Shabby! Laughing

Then, started working on the Suby motor. Added an oil baffle tray to help prevent starvation during hard cornering!

Cheers!
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Zaney's 1965 Vintage Rally Racer Restoration Adventure! Reply with quote

Awesome work and sticking through tough times. It can really kill your motivation with no work space. You will have to explain that giant jalapeņo now.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zaney24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Zaney's 1965 Vintage Rally Racer Restoration Adventure! Reply with quote

Wink
The giant Jalapeno is an art commission done by the renter of the house that this garage is a part of.
I am renting the garage/workshop separately from a friend at work.
Still looking for a house to rent with something similar.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Roach! It is nice to have a workspace again! Hopefully, get some real work done on the Rallye car this summer! Hope you have a great time working on your car this summer too!
Cheers!

Last edited by zaney24 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Zaney's 1965 Vintage Rally Racer Restoration Adventure! Reply with quote

Just checking in to say I'm jealous of your motivation and (though most of us are too shy to say) your impressive jalapeno. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
zaney24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Zaney's 1965 Vintage Rally Racer Restoration Adventure! Reply with quote

Hitest! Good to hear from ya!
Yes, motivation is high right now and going to try and keep it rollin!

Keep it spicy! Twisted Evil
zaney24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Zaney's 1965 Vintage Rally Racer Restoration Adventure! Reply with quote

A little headway was made last weekend!

Finally, was able to install Coolrydes Stiffy Bar and Mid Engine Mount.

Lets just say, nothing is "bolt on" in the aftermarket VW scene.

With a little finessing, everything fit just right! Confused

Also, made a trip to the Pic n Pull to find a few missing pieces from the Suby motor.

Hopefully find some more time this weekend to modify the intake wiring harness to accommodate the 180 reversal.

Stay tuned for more...
zaney24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Zaney's 1965 Vintage Rally Racer Restoration Adventure! Reply with quote

Fall 2017 Update!

Its been a busy end of Summer and Fall!
Finally, was able to move to a garage where I live Very Happy This has slowed the build a bit but now I can be comfortable and enjoy the Bug while I am working on it!

No heat but that's ok. Deep bay means no more paying for an extra storage locker for my homeware stuff too. Great storage and I will build a better workbench soon.

I was able to get some 2K clear coat in a spray can to shoot the front fenders and other patina 'd parts. This will allow me to blend in the Barn Find Race Car paint scheme in the Spring.
We had a blast of high 60 -70 degree weather at the end of October that allowed me to finally paint the front trunk. I like how the Sea Blue came out!

Other little projects can be worked on after hours too.
Refurbishing the front headlights and painting the inside of the Porsche style headlight lenses with Yellow glass paint.
Also, going with LED headlight H4 style bulbs too. pics to follow

More to come!!
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Zaney's 1965 Vintage Rally Racer Restoration Adventure! Reply with quote

Great work. I like the yellow light tint.
Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: