Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Colorado Bay Owners?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
What's the restrictions?

None if you don't care. I've had them on my Bus for 20 years. I'm waiting for 2020 when I can get horseless carriage plates. I think the last set I got for the 59 was less than $20 for 5 years. There are stipulations, but I just drove when and where I wanted.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

wishful thinking on my part, but heres the pertinents:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/147092-c...or-plates/

as of 2014, no emissions and you arent supposed to drive it over 4500 miles a year. (according to this site anyways, the colorado DMV didnt seem to have that where i could find it)

Up here in the land of rust, if you have antique plates you are exempt from the "safety" inspection, which is a good and bad thing. Cuz rust eats through brake lines and stuff, and if you let new englanders get away with it, wed all be driving cars with rust holes you could throw a dog through.

I used to have my dads old car, which was a 1933 chevrolet, and he was driving it the day before he died (it then sat for a looong time in a barn) but the tires were all completely bald..like slicks , and the spare had the old fabric bias belts showing. And this was how everyone used to run their cars back in the 60s before they passed the inspection laws.

Up here the only restriction on antique plates is thst it isnt supposed to be your "daily driver", but you can drive it as much as you want as long as you have another vehicle registered as a "regular car".

Sometimes the DMV clerks dont know the law, because when i first asked, i was told I could only drive on sundays or in parades.

But you do have to re-register it every year in Maine

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=

Last edited by Yarkle on Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

No emissions or safety inspection down here in Durango.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Man, there are some things about the current government in Kansas I'm unhappy with. But the Antique Tag program is not one of them!

In Kansas a car needs to be 35 years old to qualify for an Antique tag. I think that it is supposed to have a motor the same as or similar to what came in the car originally, but nobody checks that. No mileage or use restrictions at all. I suppose they figure most antique vehicles are not used enough to make a big difference.

You can also find a Year of Manufacture tag (like at an antique store or in the back of a barn or something) from your car's year and register that to the car. That is treated like a personalized tag. I've got YOM tags on both Buses. I hadn't found one for the Thing when I got it running, so it has a generic antique tag but it'll get a YOM tag next time I have to to go the courthouse.

Once your tag is on, there is no more registration for the car like modern cars. Instead, it is treated like "property" and only subject to property tax, to the tune of $17/year.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

I think Colorado has similar limitations on mileage, but those pesky old speedometers break and get changed from time to time...Smile
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
I think Colorado has similar limitations on mileage, but those pesky old speedometers break and get changed from time to time...Smile

Not sure if they do or not, I just know for the last 10 years (this is the 3rd time I've been to the DMV about my Bus) no one at the DMV has ever asked me about the mileage nor asked to see the ODO.

I'm curious now though...off to the googs for some fun.

***EDIT***
There is a 4500 mile restriction -
"The owner must sign an affidavit DR 2839 that the vehicle will not be driven on roadways for more than four thousand five hundred miles per year"

I do not recall signing anything other than my check when registering my Bus, all 3 times...

1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Seems almost impossible to drive that far with the way Denver traffic is now. Anyone have dates for primitive soul show?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

I've driven 7000 miles of country roads so far this year down here in the sticks of the state. Wink
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Back in '12 I did 4500 in a little less than 3 months but that was a special deal. I'd say 4500 in a normal year is more than I need since I split my time between the Bus, Tacoma & Beemer motorcycle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

I do about 6K a year in my Bus, of course that has gone to zero over the last 8 months. I just don't have any time to drive and enjoy it!!! Maybe over the winter. I am working on a sweet 76 Westy in OG Chrome yellow right now. I'll get a picture for y'all.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

as found..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
as found..

nice. What stage is it at now?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

It is coming along, It was kinda stripped when I got it. It has a 002 and I have a 1700 that I'm rehabing. The brakes are gone through and it has the correct Hankooks . Also new windshield and proper seats. Some rust repair will happen this week. It needs much wiring and 2 tie rods still. I just love the color.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Here are some pictures

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

I think it will buff out well, some rust repair still to come on the drivers rocker. I am hoping the plutonium paint will be a good rattle can match

camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Anyone here heading down the ALBQ on Thursday and want to caravan?
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Awesome, glad you guys made it home safely. How's that new 1914 perform?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Appreciate that!

Man it's running strong, I just need to get a bigger carb on it to finish waking it up. This little pict28 is starving the poor thing...
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Are you planning on staying with a single carb? If so a modified PICT34 or a Zenith would wake that thing up a bit.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 31

Jump to: