Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Colorado Bay Owners?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a side mount you can get that fits perfect in the stock hole on the rf corner. Works well and looks stock. Plus the wire is run inside the bus convieniently.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longmont. Dunno if I will be up and running by then. Plus if someone shows up driving my old bay or splittie I'd be crying. I also have a lot of respect for the Medano Pass road. The sand on the Park side can be very deep and soft. I've seen it give capable dirt bikes plenty of problems, never mind 4wds.

I used to do a Christmas trip to the dunes every year (in a squareback). In those days it was a national monument. It's a national park these days. Plan on reserving the campsites up the road on the park side. Reserving ahead. I'd be happy in the campground at the dunes just playing in my old hangouts for a couple days.

There is also a road at the other end of the valley I have plans to check out (probably motorcycle camping). I've been over the pass by the hot springs many times....but there is another road over I've never checked out.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PITApan wrote:
Longmont. Dunno if I will be up and running by then. Plus if someone shows up driving my old bay or splittie I'd be crying. I also have a lot of respect for the Medano Pass road. The sand on the Park side can be very deep and soft. I've seen it give capable dirt bikes plenty of problems, never mind 4wds.

I used to do a Christmas trip to the dunes every year (in a squareback). In those days it was a national monument. It's a national park these days. Plan on reserving the campsites up the road on the park side. Reserving ahead. I'd be happy in the campground at the dunes just playing in my old hangouts for a couple days.

There is also a road at the other end of the valley I have plans to check out (probably motorcycle camping). I've been over the pass by the hot springs many times....but there is another road over I've never checked out.

Thanks for the trial and camping info. All the videos I saw on YouTube looked totally doable in a bus but the people filming is say that the sand was a bit tricky. Looks like there is plenty of camping on the other side of the pass out of the national park. No?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich and Manfred, I am definitely down for this trip! May be able to coerce a few Taosenos to come with, probably in Vanagons though.
I may have the 66 Split ready for this trip, but the Syncro is always ready. Who knows, I could even have the 68 Westy done by then with a bit of help.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. then dates confirmed then night of 24th through the 26th of April. I would rather not camp at the Dunes, its right up against the mountain and its always cold and windy. There is a state park on the road from Mosca that connects with the Dunes road from hwy 160, it has a lake and its free and actually warmer at night. Plus it will be our own scene. I don't have a map handy right now but I will track this down soon. The sand issue is better in April because the moisture forms a crust overnight that really helps traction. We need to be headed to the park by 9am to take advantage of this. glad to have you on board Brian!!! more soon
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
PITApan wrote:

Thanks for the trial and camping info. All the videos I saw on YouTube looked totally doable in a bus but the people filming is say that the sand was a bit tricky. Looks like there is plenty of camping on the other side of the pass out of the national park. No?

There are many semi-formal campsites on the road itself, Nattl. park side. Always have been. They are numbered and border Medano creek. That free park campground sounds fun. I like to avoid campgrounds but I suppose if I'm in the bus it's car camping anyway. I prefer catting out in the bushes and generally living at large. I grew up in a '68 bay bought new at the factory and we toured much of scandinavia that way the summer of 68. My mother wrote a series of articles for Small World about our travels that summer but I have never been able to find them. We had the big side tent for the bus and I recall one pic of the bus and tent on the tundra of the far north. Anybody have some really old back issues of Small World? (The official VW rag of the time).

You might run a search on site: ADVrider.com Medano Pass. There should be a lot of trip reports. Generally there are lots of pics of people negotiating the tricky stuff (deep water crossings and sand). The group stops for these as each rider negotiates the spot and the cameras come out.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. Friday night camp is on state hwy 112 which cuts from Hooper (NOT Mosca) to the Dunes road entrance. I believe it is the Gibson ditch access road, and it is very close to 112. I don't have my maps here in Germany, anyone have a decent Gazetteer?. It should show the name of the lake and the state land. I think it is still free camping on state land?? I have to admit to being a bit out of touch with that topic (badges? we don't need no stinkin' badges!). The lake is made right by the ditch and it has plenty of parking and some pretty trees. There are no lights near by so the stars are just amazing. It's is an "insiders" spot for sure. On a side note..Stuart: stop wishing and start road trippin". You don't have to be rich and you don't have to be dirt baggin' either. I used to travel selling at flea markets and doing day labor in larger towns. I never begged a dollar and I went everywhere. Now with social media a person can arrange situations to meet needs. Get out there and show how its done!! Life is what happens while you were planning to do other things. Still would like some name input..Medano Pass Muster?? (kinda old school).
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
O.K. Friday night camp is on state hwy 112 which cuts from Hooper (NOT Mosca) to the Dunes road entrance. I believe it is the Gibson ditch access road, and it is very close to 112. I don't have my maps here in Germany, anyone have a decent Gazetteer?. It should show the name of the lake and the state land. I think it is still free camping on state land??

I found Gibson ditch on my Gazetteer, it's north west of Hooper. It does show a small lake. Smile
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Manfred58sc wrote:
.Stuart: stop wishing and start road trippin"

X2! Hope you can come enjoy the adventure with us.

Manfred58sc wrote:
Medano Pass Muster...(kinda old school).

Sound like a great title for a most excellent adventure!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich, that is a much better map than I can pull off the net. I think the entrance was right off 112 and maybe a bit farther down the line towards the Dunes, but it's been awhile so what you are showing may be correct...Medano Pass Muster does have a certain ring to it. The sand on the East side is a bit of an unknown since the winds are forever piling more sand onto that part of the park. I may bring a stack of 2"by6's on my roof rack just in case. As well as the usual compliment of straps and come alongs. Honestly I only remember about 100 feet of sketchy sand. I hope this does not scare off anyone, especially the Eurovans, it's totally doable. Hell, 2 years ago (on the San Juan Trip) I made it up to the top of the look out point in my stock 1600Dp / street tires and my 69 has in the neighborhood of 650,000 miles on it. I would like more info on the second night of camping on the Wet valley side, I have only driven through there...any suggestions?
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the dates, but what is the route beginning to end?
Manfred, does this mean I can hang at your place for a few days afterwards?

Stuart, we gots CB's bro! If you make it down, I will be the first to shit in the woods! Laughing Laughing Laughing
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:

Meet up at the friday night camp spot, if you can make it. Head out Saturday and do a final Meet at the Medano Pass trail head at the end of Hwy 150, by Pinyon Flats CG Saturday at 9am. Take Medano pass primitive road to FR 559, over the pass and out to US 69? How do you guys feel about camping saturday on the east side of the pass on FR 559? Is that what you were calling Wey Valley, Manfred?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
peaceful warrior wrote:

Meet up at the friday night camp spot, if you can make it. Head out Sunday and do a final Meet at the Medano Pass trail head at the end of Hwy 150, by Pinyon Flats CG Saturday at 9am. Take Medano pass primitive road to FR 559, over the pass and out to US 69? How do you guys feel about camping saturday on the east side of the pass on FR 559? Is that what you were calling Wey Valley, Manfred?

Head out Sunday? Do you mean Saturday, Rich?
Maybe it is because I am getting older, but a by the numbers list would be great. Laughing
TOOB Member #15
Brian
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:

Head out Sunday? Do you mean Saturday, Rich?

Yup, sorry.

What do you think Manfred?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I like the time line ( Wet Valley up to Westcliffe Sunday morning) and the road descriptions. I would recommend having a full tank of fuel before the crossing. Gardner, the nearest town on the Wet Valley side, has gas but it may be closed on Sunday. Westcliffe has plenty of gas stations open on Sunday. The Friday night camp will allow the Northern tribe a chance to rest up before the next days trip, it will be a bit if a drive from Denver. Sunday will be an easy day for the trip home regardless of direction. Yes, Brian you can stay in my "hood" for as long as you like. Still need to get the exact description of the Friday camp hammered out..before we do a thread start. I doubt that any "nutscrapper" bus's can make this journey
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke to my fried who works for the forest service. He told me to call the Saguache Ranger District office to find out where a good free spot to camp would be. I will do that tomorrow and ask about Gibson. We'll get it figured out on no time
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Bendejo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardner may not have fuel. I have some land nearby and as of 2012 the station was closed. Westcliffe isnt much farther for going north, but LaVeta is probably closer to those headed South after coming off the pass.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 feet on sketchy sand? Why does my brain say "hit 88mph and we are good to go"? Laughing

Ill see how things look after january....currently homeless so not surewhere lifes headed right now. Smile (just sold the house and havent found another yet)

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
100 feet on sketchy sand? Why does my brain say "hit 88mph and we are good to go"? Laughing

/snip

My brain says carry a half dozen 12VDC compressors in the group and air down.

The little compressors get hot and have to be rested. Too few and it can take a long time to air up a larger group. However at that point we are on the dunes side and there is much to play with---the vanishing creek, pockets of slow-sand and fluff-sand, etc.

I wonder what the deal is with coming into a national park thru the backdoor without a parks pass? I may have one next year as RMNP is in my backyard and it's a fun road to play on...
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no charge to drive through the park to access the national forest, just if you want to stay and play on the dunes. You have to go to the station and buy a pass ($10?? now) which is by the parking area. Airing up and down is probably not possible and of limited use anyway. The sketchy part is after the first creek crossing (and it will still be low water in late April). Some of the ruts need to be straddled later on "down the through". The rocky stuff near the top just requires slow going, no extra clearance needed. I know a guy who did this trip in a 79 Plymouth Volare 6cylinder automatic. Stuart, your not homeless if you have your westy!! sounds like a good time to hit the road and live a little. just sayin'...
Mexicant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bay and Baja from down here in Pagosa Springs Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 31

Jump to: