Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Colorado Bay Owners?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
camit34 wrote:
Figuring out what I need to order to get rid the crust...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've had good luck with panels from Klassic Fab for early Bay Windows. Far better than the Klokkerholm panels. From my experience, you'll likely need the drivers side floor as well. It will need to come out in order to properly metal finish the weld above the rocker. The only ones I use are from VW classic parts.

Those are relatively common repairs, but in order to do them correctly it will take time and some careful/skilled welding and planishing. With the right approach, it can look like new.

Perfect, thanks for the advice.
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Make no mistake, Mike K is correct on all accounts. I'm offering a "patch and go" solution to make the big holes go away. I would suggest taking a stab at it yourself, its a rewarding process. Please post pictures so we can cheer you on. Mike K came down and gave Jason and I tutorial for novices a few years back. I video-ed it and would be happy to share that if its OK with Mike?

Yeah, I’m not building a show winner but I do want it to look as close to stock as possible.

I’ll for sure share my progress and ask for advice as hurdles pop up.

I would love to see that video if Mike is ok with it.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Sure. That would be ok.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Pm sent
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Regarding the front end and all the crap connected to it...

I’ve been tossing the idea of just getting a remanufactured beam, spindle to spindle, and just swapping it out but curious if others think it would be better to buy all the pieces and rebuild the OG beam.

Time is not really an issue so rebuilding the OG myself would be fine but considering quality of components available does it really matter?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

I replaced the beam in my '78 over the summer. It was rusted waaay beyond use. The only replacement beam I could find was from a '70, so I had to weld brackets on it.

Then there was cleaning up components and all that and putting it back together.

In the end, I sorta wished I had just bought a full rebuilt one. More money, but significantly easier. And probably not all THAT much more money by the time I was all done.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I replaced the beam in my '78 over the summer. It was rusted waaay beyond use. The only replacement beam I could find was from a '70, so I had to weld brackets on it.

Then there was cleaning up components and all that and putting it back together.

In the end, I sorta wished I had just bought a full rebuilt one. More money, but significantly easier. And probably not all THAT much more money by the time I was all done.

Yeah, good point. Thanks for the input!
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Anyone want to buy ‘71 Westy?

Getting harder and harder to get motivated. Fingers crossed once this stupidness and the winter is truly behind us, I’ll find the motivation...!!!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

camit34 wrote:

I’m interested. PM me if you’re serious.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
camit34 wrote:

PM sent...
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

camit34 wrote:
richparker wrote:
camit34 wrote:

PM sent...

Responded.

You have everything you need, just enjoy it as it is. Them east coast boys would cum in their pants to have a ‘71 that nice!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2491482

We took it on a 3 day camping trip a few weeks ago and it is just not for us any longer as camper. If I can't sell it, I'll think about taking the camper stuff out/off and turning it into a driver. Maybe slam it...lol
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

camit34 wrote:

We took it on a 3 day camping trip a few weeks ago and it is just not for us any longer as camper. If I can't sell it, I'll think about taking the camper stuff out/off and turning it into a driver. Maybe slam it...lol

I very said to read this. 😢

I can only hope you change your mind before you sell it. You and your family will be missed in our Colorado bay window community.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
camit34 wrote:

I very said to read this. 😢

I can only hope you change your mind before you sell it. You and your family will be missed in our Colorado bay window community.

Appreciate that!

I'm very torn on letting it go but I guess all good things must come to an end at some point, even after 30 years. I won't just let it go for a song and if I'm asking too much then it will probably stick around.

Tossing the idea of selling my Mini Copper S and using that $$$ to toss at the Bus but...
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Anyone can buy a Mini Cooper, or any new car for that matter. It takes dedication and skill to keep a bus going for 30 years. Keep the bus, sell the Cooper!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Anyone can buy a Mini Cooper, or any new car for that matter. It takes dedication and skill to keep a bus going for 30 years. Keep the bus, sell the Cooper!

I don’t disagree. My dedication is waning and so it is time.
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

After 29 years!

A huge thanks to this site and all those who helped me along my journey!

Goodbye old girl!

Goodbye good friends!

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

That was officially the worst post I ever read on The Samba. 🤬
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
That was officially the worst post I ever read on The Samba. 🤬

It was a tough out come to reach and we appreciate all the fun we had with it and all the people we met! Sending good vibes to everyone in the community!

With that I have found a few things left over that I will post up for free for someone to come and pick up if they want them.

I also have some photos of my next 30 year project I am getting into...

A 1967 Lotus Elan that I will be going out to California in July to pick up!
It's completely stock and 100% original, I love it!

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

camit34 wrote:

With that I have found a few things left over that I will post up for free for someone to come and pick up if they want them.

I’ll be in Denver 5/21 thru 5/24. I’ll come take those parts off your hands.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 31

Jump to: