Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Bad idea. If stud broke off due to being stuck in the head, the smaller easy out is just going to break off that much easier.

Better to either weld to the stud and use the heat of welding break up the corrosion in there or drill out the stud. If one takes their time drilling it out there is not need to go over sized.

I actually bought the cheap flux welder from Harbor Freight specifically to weld nuts to broken bolts and studs, and both these breaks were accomplished by doing so.

Would grabbing a small file and filing down the rear end of the stud before welding another nut to remove it work? I need to grab a file to mark the cylinders before sending them out ti be blasted anyway.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Better and easier to just use a bigger nut. That way the hole fits over what is left of the stud and leaves a gap around it for a stronger weld.

When still super hot drench the area with water to quickly cool the head and stud down, that sudden change crushes the rust plating into dust. Dust take less space than the plating.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Better and easier to just use a bigger nut. That way the hole fits over what is left of the stud and leaves a gap around it for a stronger weld.

When still super hot drench the area with water to quickly cool the head and stud down, that sudden change crushes the rust plating into dust. Dust take less space than the plating.

Wouldn't you risk cracking the head by shock cooling it like that?

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Bug-nut wrote:

Wouldn't you risk cracking the head by shock cooling it like that?

Maybe you could if you heated the whole head up to same temp, but in this case you are only heating it up in a small and very thick area of the head. Stud is going to be far hotter than most of the head itself.
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Alright, I have (relatively) good news, and bad news. I've been allowed to watch over my Grandmother's house until her passing. The bad news is that I don't have a job up here yet, so updates beyond what I've planned to do are going to be slow. I might be able to get away with sending the Cylinders and Heads to a machine shop for blasting, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Also I'm still waiting on the crankshaft. Should be done this weekend, hopefully. This project is getting increasingly scatter brained the longer I wait.

What's worse, I need to get my Grandma's car ready for this years inspection, and my Buick needs both Transmission and Engine Mounts. Once I had all that mostly done, I worked on the Beetle some. I have a bunch of parts that have been waiting to be used. I didn't want to mess with the cylinder heads today, so I finally tackled the brakes to see what condition they were in. The Torque Master made taking off the rear brakes very easy. I didn't expect them to be as awful as they were, so it took a while to clean and reassemble the passenger side, and I'll finish the other side tomorrow. I haven't even gotten to the front brakes.

I was going to replace both Parking Brake Cables, but I inspected them, and they're in good condition. I put some more grease on them and put them back. However, when I went to adjust the brakes, I couldn't get the sweet spot of no resistance with the parking brake down, and unmovable after pulling it up four notches. I'm going to try it again when I get everything back together.

Passenger Side
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Driver Side

Broken brass gear.

Cleaned up Passenger Side

KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Good news. The crankshaft is ready and should arrive next week.

Also I'm holding off on doing anything else on the rear brakes until I get some axle seal kits.
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Have you reinstalled rear brake without change anything ?
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

62ItalianRagtop wrote:
Have you reinstalled rear brake without change anything ?

I've had a set of rear spring kits sitting around for a while, so those have been replaced. I don't currently have the money to get the drums turned or for new shoes. When I get that money, they will be changed out.
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Alright, back to what I wanted to actually do; rebuilding the engine.

Unfortunately it's extremely hot out and since the garage is as old as the hills, it doesn't cool properly, so I have to do this stuff in the evenings.

The Crankshaft arrived today, and everything is as it should be. I cleaned and reassembled the rods with the new bearings. I set the end play. I put dabs of form-a-gasket on the ends of the studs so they do not leak. Finally, I tried to get the camshaft drive gear onto the crankshaft and it got stuck very quickly.

EDIT: Actually, I just recalled I have the tool to remove the gear. It's too late in the night to do anything though. I'll remove it and retry tomorrow.

A bunch of parts that have been waiting very patiently.

Rods in place

Set endplay

txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Did you heat the gear?

Once heated properly, it will slide right on. Some people use a propane torch to heat it up, but I always use the oven
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Did you heat the gear?

Once heated properly, it will slide right on. Some people use a propane torch to heat it up, but I always use the oven

Yeah, I tried it with a torch at first. I went with the oven method this morning. No problems with the oven method.

More tonight.
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Okay, I did way more than I was planning on doing today.

I got the case halves together, the flywheel and pulley installed, put in a new oil relief spring. I grabbed a small tile from Home Depot and refinished the surface of the oil pump plate. I put the oil filter back. I also put the bit of tin behind the pulley on with properly sized hex bolts.

First, I put the distributor and it's gear set to cylinder 1 in.

I also dug out the original cap from the old distributor and put it on the 'new' one.

One last look at the inside. I cleaned up that bit of Permetex on the edge of the oil filter hole right after taking this pic.

and she's back together

Before

After

I reused the existing gland nut. It cleaned up pretty alright

Is this oil cooler salvageable?

here's how I left it.

There won't be an update tomorrow.
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Actually, I apparently used too much sealant and got it into the oil pump. I should have suspected something when the crankshaft got hard to turn when I was putting the pulley on. I got it all apart and got most of the crankshaft apart, enough to get the small amount of gasket that got into it out at least. Thank god this stuff comes out with mineral spirits and that all the oil passages didn't get clogged.

I guess I'm taking the case halves to the car wash again, and washing them out. Thank god I decided to be paranoid and check rather than put it off.
willwilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

How exciting. I just spent this evening combing through this thread.
I am in the middle of the same project, a 1957 Beetle Barn find and about to assemble the block.

My beetle has been sitting for nearly 35 years and arrived in pieces. You build has been so helpful. I'm hooked.

I have learned where many of my parts now go based on your pictures. Thanks so much for sharing and your tenacity is impressive.

One quick question, are you going to paint your engine? Mine (Feb 1957) appears to have been painted grey originally. Yours appears to be the same.
Do you know if these were painted originally?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

willwilly wrote:
How exciting. I just spent this evening combing through this thread.
I am in the middle of the same project, a 1957 Beetle Barn find and about to assemble the block.

My beetle has been sitting for nearly 35 years and arrived in pieces. You build has been so helpful. I'm hooked.

I have learned where many of my parts now go based on your pictures. Thanks so much for sharing and your tenacity is impressive.

One quick question, are you going to paint your engine? Mine (Feb 1957) appears to have been painted grey originally. Yours appears to be the same.
Do you know if these were painted originally?

I'm really glad that my thread helped someone out.

I can't answer if they were originally painted or not, and I wasn't planning on it. I want to try and repaint the least amount of things as possible.

Unfortunately, for today, I once again didn't get what I wanted done. I tried re-reassembling the crank, and three of the four rods keep sticking. I took them apart, cleaned them throughly with a soft brush and mineral spirits, blasted them with brake clean, and then oiled them up before assembly. The crank and the rods are quite clean.

The only thing that changed from now and the last time I assembled is is that the rod bearings are new. I accidentally scratched one of the (Not original, thank goodness) rod bearings when attempting to re-reassemble the crank last week, so I had to get another set. I double checked each bearing. They are the correct size, first oversize, so it's not that.

Besides that, I took the need for new rod bearings as an excuse to buy a new horn from WW. Once I get the garage tidied up, and the Beetle cleaned off a bit more I will take a video. It sounds great.

Finally, since they were only $6 each, I got two new rear axle seals, but that's for another day.

I'll have pictures and video tomorrow. There's nothing new that you haven't seen already, aside from what's been mentioned.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

36hp rods do not self align, you got lucky the first time.

While tightening them, tap lightly with a hammer where rod halves meet...tighten more, then tap again until your get to 36 ft-lbs and they rotate smoothly

Check here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=461368&highlight=rod+tight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Don't forget to stake the rod caps when installing
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
36hp rods do not self align, you got lucky the first time.

While tightening them, tap lightly with a hammer where rod halves meet...tighten more, then tap again until your get to 36 ft-lbs and they rotate smoothly

Check here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=461368&highlight=rod+tight

This is pretty helpful. 'stuck connecting rod' didn't give me much when searching the forms, but that thread you linked will be helpful.

Abscate wrote:
Don't forget to stake the rod caps when installing

Stake the rod caps?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

After you bolt the rods to the crank you move a little bit of. Metal on the nut into a hole on the rod to stop them from vibrating loose. It wasn't clear in the picture above if you had done that.

Someone will correct me if this is wrong on a 36HP, so give me/them a day or two confirm in The Wilson book. I think you can still stake the bolts before the Pistons and cylinders go on....hope so...but don't skip it or you will ruin that case with a loose rod.
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

That was a ball ache. As for the lack of updates, I've been very likely offered a job up here, so I've been focusing most of my attention towards that.

I got the crank reassembled after a not very fun combination of feeler gauges and taps to the rods. To prevent over applying the sealant this time, I used some cheap craft brushes from walmart to apply it. It spun freely, after I put the pulley on, after assembling it.

The oil screen and pump were reinstalled, and that's as far as I felt like going today. I set the case on the ground and covered it with a trashbag, as spiders seem to love setting up camp in the case.

I'm not putting that pulley back on until completely necessary. It is a massive pain to go all the way to Advance, check out their harmonic balancer puller, take it off, return the tool, and continue.

Abscate wrote:
After you bolt the rods to the crank you move a little bit of. Metal on the nut into a hole on the rod to stop them from vibrating loose. It wasn't clear in the picture above if you had done that.

Someone will correct me if this is wrong on a 36HP, so give me/them a day or two confirm in The Wilson book. I think you can still stake the bolts before the Pistons and cylinders go on....hope so...but don't skip it or you will ruin that case with a loose rod.

I've always heard that as 'locking the rod'. Either way, it's been done.

Looking a bit better.

Now, question.

There's a considerable amount of rust on the outside of my oil cooler. It's an original, or at least a proper replacement, as it has the big VW on the top. I cleaned out the inside of it until mineral spirits came out clean.

Is it reusable? Is there a good way to get the rust off the channels?

EDIT:

Here's a short video of the horn working. I had to edit some parts out because the horn button likes to pop out, but that's a fix for another day.

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 19

Jump to: