Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

If the inside is clean, you can give it a try. For the outside, spray it with VHT Rust Converter (or similar product), let it dry and paint it flat black

I would never use an old oil cooler, but that's just me. I'm sure others have with success. IF you buy a new one, be sure you get the green oil seals, they convert the 8mm holes in the new coolers to 6mm like your case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Any updates? Very Happy

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Bug-nut wrote:
Any updates? Very Happy

I finally got a job. Full time, regular schedule.

However, I'm now my Grandma's primary caretaker, so that's taking up most of my time on top of my job.

Once a few paychecks come in I'll get back to work. I'll be rereretearing down the engine to clean it out again and put Loctite on the connecting rod bolts. Once I find a machine shop up here, I'll be dropping off the cylinders and heads to get blasted, and the last two studs removed and the holes tapped.

That's all for now.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

KingOfAces wrote:

I finally got a job. Full time, regular schedule.

Congrats!!!

KingOfAces wrote:

However, I'm now my Grandma's primary caretaker, so that's taking up most of my time on top of my job.

That can be a hard row to hoe.... Hopefully you will find it rewarding. BTDT with Barb's Dad.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Did you finish school or are you Taking a leave?

Promise us you will finish if it's the latter. Taking care of Grandma is a good thing and will last a lifetime. Takes lots of selfies with her for your kids in the future, old VWs attract supermodels as spouses.

I scored a 57 engine at a swap so pm me your coordinates sometime in case you need engine parts

My daughter and I built a 53 for my Mom as it was her anniversary year

Smile
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

I snuck away to do some work. I didn't get a lot done.

I tried one final time to remove the last studs from the cylinder heads, and nope, they're not having it. So I'll have those removed once I locate a local machine shop to perform that on top of blasting the heads and cylinders.

I taped off the cylinders with painters tape, and cleaned the outsides. I filed small notches of the cylinder number in the heat fins so they won't get mixed up

I also installed the piston rings, however I broke one so I have to buy a new set. Yeehaw.

Finally, I started soaking the push rods in Lacquer Thinner. I'll take them out in a week.

A quick question. Do I need to cover the rims on the cylinders, or are they okay to be blasted?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also I put air in the tires.

Last edited by KingOfAces on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

KingOfAces wrote:

A quick question. Do I need to cover the rims on the pistons, or are they okay to be blasted?

Note sure what "rims" you are referring to, but would not blast the pistons.
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
KingOfAces wrote:

A quick question. Do I need to cover the rims on the pistons cylinders, or are they okay to be blasted?

Note sure what "rims" you are referring to, but would not blast the pistons.

Whoops, I meant to type 'Cylinders'. I'm talking about that edge that's pictured in the first image. The cylinders have one on each end.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Best not, and over kill.
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

The parts have been dropped off at the machine shop. Hopefully I'll have a worthy update sometime next week.
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Here's my update: the heads are cracked and toast. I'm not sure what to do now.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Darn! Well start shopping around in the classifieds. Either NOS or good used will work.
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

I owe you guys some kind of update.

I went to working part time to take care of my Grandma, since she needed more attention than previously though. Unfortunately, my Grandma fell back in November. Now most of my money is going towards bills so I can live in her house so it doesn't get repossessed. Lowe's has determined me efficient enough as a part timer to keep me on as Part Time, instead of taking me to full time status again as originally planned. So, money is tight again.

I did find a new set of heads, and a correct thermostat. However, I haven't been in the mood to work on this project recently. It's more stress than I need right now.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Having helped to care for an ailing relative, we know somewhat of what you are going thru right now. Hang in there!

Hopefully sooner than later working on your VW will get to be relaxing and not so stressful. When you get a hankering to do some wrenching, you will know you are there. Very Happy
Jim Hunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite projects !!!

You have a great talent to your descriptions but you also do excellent work!
I wish you best of luck and please keep up the good work Smile

Jim
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

In order to get inspiration to work on her, and as it is a beautiful day outside, I decided to clean out the garage as best as I am allowed.

Then, finally, after that, I did a little work. I unpacked the cylinders, only to find they were rusty on the outside. Luckily, I have a huge welding brass brush I used to get rid of it. Worked like a charm. Then, I painted the cylinders with black engine paint. I also unpacked the heads, and put the very last of my KROIL on the springs, valves, keepers, and all the other assorted parts.

More to come.

Jim Hunter wrote:
This is one of my favorite projects !!!

You have a great talent to your descriptions but you also do excellent work!
I wish you best of luck and please keep up the good work Smile

Jim

Thank you. You'll also have to thank my Programming teacher back in High School for beating me over the head with including documentation in everything.

Onto pictures.

I wound up using the brush as I went along. I wasn't sure how much daytime I had left to work with.

Until I was left with this

They're not going to win any awards, but I'm happy with them.

Heads

Also I got a correct Thermostat:

ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

I really enjoy being able to follow along on your build. Thanks for putting the effort into allowing us to watch your great progress.

Don't worry about not winning any awards with the paint on the fins of your cylinders. I'm not sure I'd want that award (if it exists) to be honest... Very Happy

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Alright, I rererererereretore down the engine, for what is I honestly hope is the last time for a while. I rebuilt and cleaned the crankshaft, cleaned the camshaft, and drenched the case halves in mineral spirits.

EDIT: I also added red loctite to the connecting rod bolts, which is why I rebuilt the crank in the first place.

There is what seems to be minor rust on the ends of the crankshaft. Is there anything I can do about that? I thought it was much worse at first look, but it's not terrible. Hardly ideal, but not bad.

Finally, a new gasket set and piston rings arrive tomorrow. So the parts shouldn't have to sit about for a long time before reassembly.

ernstben wrote:
I really enjoy being able to follow along on your build. Thanks for putting the effort into allowing us to watch your great progress.

Don't worry about not winning any awards with the paint on the fins of your cylinders. I'm not sure I'd want that award (if it exists) to be honest... Very Happy

Thank you.

Alright, let's have some fun.

Next time I'm wrapping the engine in a bedsheet. I think the trashbag trapped condensation and messed it all up.

This rust I'm stumped about

Bunch of stuff that's soaking in mineral spirits now.

That's all for now.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Clean those crankshaft surfaces off carefully and apply some oil or light grease to stop that. Is there anyway to get heat into the garage/shop? Even a cheaply built passive solar panel out of old windows would help.
KingOfAces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited My Granddad's '57 Beetle Reply with quote

Not a big update today. I cleaned all the parts needed to at least put the case back together. I'm hoping to do that tomorrow.

I bought some rust converter through Advance, along with a piston ring compressor, and a case of brake cleaner. Unfortunately, they haven't fulfilled my order yet, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Luckily, I have that day off. Worse comes to worse, I'll just go in person and pick the stuff up myself.

The new gasket set arrived today, along with the piston rings. The FedEx guy loved the Beetle, so that's nice.

Eric&Barb wrote:
Clean those crankshaft surfaces off carefully and apply some oil or light grease to stop that. Is there anyway to get heat into the garage/shop? Even a cheaply built passive solar panel out of old windows would help.

I don't want to modify the garage much because I won't be profiting off of it. Which sounds awful, but my mom made sure that Grandma, against her wishes, would never be able to give me the house, so I don't want to improve this place at all. Once my Grandma passes, it will be sold and I'll be homeless. This car will be all I have to remember Grandma by. Not that I'm complaining, because that's more than what most people have.

I do have a small heater, and it hasn't been terrible outside recently at least, so that's not as much of an issue as it was. I'm back in the mood to work on Her again, so that won't matter anyway. Nothing will stand in my way now, except for AdvanceAuto.

Anyway, I do have a question though, what are these white specks on my engine crankcase? They don't want to come off with light effort, and I don't want to gouge the case by trying to remove this stuff.

Soon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 19

Jump to: