Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro front lower control arm differences
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a bunch of syncros both early and late and I don't think there is any compelling reason to prefer one style over the other. The suspension on syncrozilla used the later arms that were on the van when I bought it. It had more suspension travel than most syncros. Sure they might be a few pounds heavier but I'd always prefer something solid or swiss cheese any day of the week.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note, unsprung weight for items attached to the body are calculated in as half their actual weight. The theory being is since it is supported by the chassis, not all the weight is used. Where as a brake rotor/caliper and wheel bearing housing are all calculated as full weight.

It's unlikely it will make more than 10 pounds difference for front unsprung weight. But still it's around 10% of the weight.

My rear unsprung weight was almost half the front. And tire/wheel combination was almost half the front!
astar84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! thought the rust on my syncro doner was bad! my arms were full of holes so scrapped them and some other rare parts. I think I called 10 vw junkyards around the country looking for some!! Sad Shocked I did finally find some so they are out there.... for now Laughing good luck.

the burley arms were my next option and seemed worth it for their build quality.
having said all that the arms should be interchangable, as others have said, you also need new or usable radius arms and sway links specifically for the cast arms which may not be any easier to find.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea they are ugly. I think this van was sitting in a shallow pond or something because I noticed a water line on the wheels.

The Burley arms are nice, but priority wise, I'm saving up for a trans overhaul, which is an unknown until it gets opened up. The front end will need to be back-burnered until trans, tank, & engine are done.

Thx for all the reply's. I have some good info at this point that I will revisit later when I start restoring the front susp.

Until then.......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with a pair or refurbs from Burley.

Syncroqc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
90 & 91 USDM Syncros have cast lower control arms.
The geometry is different.
No separate lower ball joint assembly or bolt on radius rod like with the earlier stamped steel versions.
The sway bar drop links are different due to the different angle that the LCA resides at.

Yes the systems are interchangeable if ALL parts are used for complete early or late setups.

I have every single part available, early and late.
The prices will scared you due to limited availability and demand.
Plenty in Europe if you are up to importing what you need, but be forewarned, rust in Europe rivals some of the worst found here.

Custom parts are also available to replace these stock parts and offer more compatibility with maximum suspension lifting and 930 front halfshafts that are larger in diameter than stock.

FYI, rust perforated suspension parts will not pass a state inspection, nor should they Wink

$yncro

Hi inSyncro

Sorry to bring back to life this old thread but can the mai steel frame from the pressed arm be used for the cast arm or is the angles somewhat differents?

I happen to have bought some LCA to replaces my pressed steel ones and all the associated hardware but now that it is all assembled and that I am about to but this back in place under the van, I am getting worried about it...
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front lower control arm differences Reply with quote

Alright, I’m reviving this old thread for one question: are stamped steel lower control arms interchangeable from left to right?
FYI: I am installing lifted Schwenk springs with new old man emu shocks using all poly bushings and front shock extenders.

I recently got these back from powder coating for our front end rebuild and had forgotten to mark them. Seeing how the powder coater handled them, they probably would’ve been mixed anyway.
I pressed the lower ball joints in the receivers and hammered the receivers back into the arms. With the powder coated surfaces, it’s a freakin’ tight fit.
I installed them trying to figure out which side had some scratches and dings from off-roading and made sure that that side was pointing down.
When reinstalling the shocks, I noticed that the top of the shock points backward instead of lining up with the little hole. Ignore the chewed up inner tie rod which will be replaced.

Things get very tight when adding the spring and it's tough to push the shock forward so it lines up with its hole. In the following photos, the spring is partially compressed and the jack is pushing the shock upward, slightly starting to lift the van off of the jack stands.

The radius rod mounting surfaces also don't line up and the 3 bolts are incredibly hard to thread in. As a matter of fact I simply stopped trying after having trying to hammer them in.

The shock is twisted in a way that makes me worry about the bushing and about contact/clearance.

Basically I wonder if I messed up the sides. I didn't try installing the other side yet.
Could I have installed the left side LCA on the right side and vice-versa? Or is that not possible? Do I just need to suck it up and just tighten things up?
I don’t really want to try to pry those lower ball joint receivers out if I don’t have to!
- Transaxle rebuild, Mexico paint job, Front end rebuild, 320Ah LiFePO4 Battery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front lower control arm differences Reply with quote

For sure the upper A arm has a forward and backward. It’s as simple as flipping it on the same side. I’ll look at my lower control arm this am and see. Someone probably knows the answer already.

There was a thread that showed the correct orientation of the upper arm. I just can’t trust my memory.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front lower control arm differences Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
For sure the upper A arm has a forward and backward. It’s as simple as flipping it on the same side. I’ll look at my lower control arm this am and see. Someone probably knows the answer already.

There was a thread that showed the correct orientation of the upper arm. I just can’t trust my memory.

Yeah I’ve spent quite a bit of time sitting inside the front wheel arch browsing every post I could find on TheSamba about this with no clear answer, hence my question... I’m really starting to feel like I botched this and will have to swap them. I’m really not looking forward to trying to get these lower ball joint adapters out to flip them. I had to use a mallet to get them in and hammer some old bolts to line up the holes, they are tight!! Hopefully I don’t damage too much fresh powder coating when I try to take it apart...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front lower control arm differences Reply with quote

EDIT: I'm actually looking more into this right now as I am confused by the diagram. The part labeled 11 is the steel LCA, the one labeled 11A is the cast LCA. The part number table only shows 11A and (11A) labels, no 11 (without the "A").
---------
Well, here we go... a part number search brings up 2 part numbers doe these 1987 Vanagon Syncro Lower Control Arms (they call them wishbones):
Left: 251407153G
Right: 251407153H
This really sucks if I got them wrong, but it’s my own fault for not marking them I guess! Hopefully this will help others.

Last edited by T3TRIS on Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front lower control arm differences Reply with quote

It has been my life time experience, when you have a 50/50 chance of doing something right. It ends up being 90 to 10 your wrong.

I also think there might be a L and R lower ball joint housing.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front lower control arm differences Reply with quote

Stamped lower control arm "11" on the diagram for the Syncro is 251407153E.
Quantity needed 2, that means they are symetrical.
http://www.catcar.info/audivw/?lang=en&l=c3RzP...MDAwNTk%3D

The shock is always hard to install and line up, that`s why they added the access plug on to to use a T handle to screw on to of the shock to yank it in place.

The rearward leaning might be a bent control arm or pivot point or something like this. Holes are round everywhere?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front lower control arm differences Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
It has been my life time experience, when you have a 50/50 chance of doing something right. It ends up being 90 to 10 your wrong.

I also think there might be a L and R lower ball joint housing.

That's been my experience too! However, the plot is thickening... I keep doing part number research and some sites have more information than others. Here are comparisons for our 1987 Vanagon Syncro (using my VIN).

PARTS.VW.COM

Lower control arm (#9 in diagram): 251407153E not side specific and seems to be available for $258.10
Lower ball joint receiver(#12 in diagram): 251407153G not side specific

QUIRKPARTS (never heard of it but they pop up in part number searches, same info as parts.vw.com)

Lower control arm (#9 in diagram): 251407153E not side specific
Lower ball joint receiver(#12 in diagram): 251407153G not side specific

7ZAP (never heard of it either)

Lower control arm (#11 in diagram): Does not appear, however they have 11A for the cast arm, which seems to be side specific
Lower ball joint receiver(#12 in diagram): 251407177A completely different part number as the two above. That part number seems to not be side specific but supersedes two other part numbers that are different left and right.

ILCATS.RU (these options are getting more and more obscure, but this one is probably my preferred web interface, if that counts for anything!)

[img]https://images.ilcats.ru/getImage.php?catalog=vw&filename=059/059049000.png&hash=eafb70349a6eefa9ec73a549b76798e5[/img]
Lower control arm (#11 in diagram): 251407153E not side specific and adds a date range (from 02.1985 to 07.1992, does that make sense for early and late arms?)
Lower ball joint receiver(#12 in diagram): 251407177A not side specific, same part number as 7ZAP but different from the two first website. Also supersedes two side specific parts.

.... so.... what's the verdict?!

Adding Alika T3's input seems to confirm that it's not side specific, that the part numbers should be 251407153E for the LCA and 251407177A for the lower ball joint receiver.
And by the way, yes the holes are round but I can double check. I looked at them a while back to see if some fixing would be required and was pleased to find out that it wasn't necessary. Also, lining up the shock rod isn't toooooo difficult really, it just seems to be "difficult" by pushing in a direction that accentuates that angle between the shock and the LCA, if that makes sense (pushing forward). I need to go and move things around. I think I'm going to remove one LCA and see how they compare. I can swap the LCA without removing the lower ball joint receiver and install the shock/spring combo. If the fit is the same, no problem. If the fit is drastically different (better), then I think I'll remove the receivers.

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Stamped lower control arm "11" on the diagram for the Syncro is 251407153E.
Quantity needed 2, that means they are symetrical.
http://www.catcar.info/audivw/?lang=en&l=c3RzP...MDAwNTk%3D

The shock is always hard to install and line up, that`s why they added the access plug on to to use a T handle to screw on to of the shock to yank it in place.

The rearward leaning might be a bent control arm or pivot point or something like this. Holes are round everywhere?

Last edited by T3TRIS on Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front lower control arm differences Reply with quote

It seems the cast ones are left and right. The welded ones, I'm not able to pull up a number in my ETKA for some reason.
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front lower control arm differences Reply with quote

The stamped ones are the same side to side.

You have them the right direction.

Your upper control arm is the correct orientation as well.

The problem with the alignment of the lower ball joint adaptor/lower control arm/radius rod is that your radius rod nuts need backed way the hell off.

Edit 2: aside from backing off the radius rod bolt is the lower control arm bolt torqued down too? Loosen that bolt too to so the arm can wiggle to get it all together.

Here is the best image I have been able to find for upper control arm orientation ( from the 1986 factory service manual - thanks @tkic!)

Edit: why are you running the front shock extenders? I believe the old man emus are the correct length for the schwenck lift springs (have the lift springs and standard length shocks on two vans with no issues) . Maybe this extra length is adding some problems?
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front lower control arm differences Reply with quote

pjn_wyo wrote:
The stamped ones are the same side to side.

You have them the right direction.

Your upper control arm is the correct orientation as well.

The problem with the alignment of the lower ball joint adaptor/lower control arm/radius rod is that your radius rod nuts need backed way the hell off.

Edit 2: aside from backing off the radius rod bolt is the lower control arm bolt torqued down too? Loosen that bolt too to so the arm can wiggle to get it all together.

Edit: why are you running the front shock extenders? I believe the old man emus are the correct length for the schwenck lift springs (have the lift springs and standard length shocks on two vans with no issues) . Maybe this extra length is adding some problems?

Good to hear that the parts are installed correctly.

I can back the radius rod nuts but they are basically at the beginning of the thread (closest to the LCA), which I imagine gives me the most flexibility for installation. When working the radius rods, the threaded part doesn't seem to interfere much in regards to length between the mounting points on the frame and on the LCA (the length of the radius rod basically). What seems to create the issue is the twist/angle that would be required for the mounting surfaces of the LCA and radius rod to line up.

The LCA control arm bolts are not torqued, the bushing can wiggle back and forth quite a bit.

I had read that shocks designed for our vans perform adequately with lifted vans, however there can be a loss of downward travel and a potential for the shock to bottom out. We use our van off-road quite a bit and wheel get in the air. I was looking for options to try to keep ground contact and also preserve shocks from bottoming out too often (which I understand can reduce the life of a shock). Of course, I am no expert with this but it seems to be pretty wildly recognized that it's advantageous to add a spacer for the rear shock. People seem to agree about the front shock. I am not too sure about the OME's capabilities with lifted syncros besides your input here. I bought them through Van-Cafe and can't see anywhere in the description that they are compatible with either normal or lifted syncros, they just say they are specifically designed for syncros (yay). It could very well be that the extension is not useful indeed and makes mounting difficult. More tests are needed I guess!

Last edited by T3TRIS on Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front lower control arm differences Reply with quote

I have the same shocks. You will like them.

Be sure to keep everything loose until the put the weight on wheels. I will actually load some extra weight in it & bounce on the front bumper before I tighten it all up.

Last edited by tjet on Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front lower control arm differences Reply with quote

I've rebuilt multiple syncro suspension with the same shocks and springs without the issues you are seeing with no shock spacer and not trying to install everything without the radius rod adjusted the way it is in the photo but sure don't listen to me.

Edit - just back the front nut off so you can move the arm forward and backward to get the holes lined up.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front lower control arm differences Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
I have the same shocks. You will like them.

Be sure to keep everything loose until the put the weight on wheels. I will actually load some extra weight on it & bounce on the front bumper before I tighten it all up.

Thanks for the tips! Do you happen to have a lift by chance? I have lifted Schwenk springs with those OME and added some shock extenders, I'm sure those are making things a little tighter.

pjn_wyo wrote:
I've rebuilt multiple syncro suspension with the same shocks and springs without the issues you are seeing with no shock spacer and not trying to install everything without the radius rod adjusted the way it is in the photo but sure don't listen to me.

Edit - just back the front nut off so you can move the arm forward and backward to get the holes lined up.

Thanks. By the front nut, you mean the one at the very end of the radius rod, toward the front of the van? That nut wasn't even on the radius rod when I was fighting with it... (And by the way, I will listen to your input. Doesn't always mean I'll implement it but I do gather all the info I can get, especially from more experienced people, and apply it to my situation)

-------

Also, I'm learning that my issue might possibly be just because I didn't have the radius rod bolted to the LCA before installing the shock/spring. I'm going to try that.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front lower control arm differences Reply with quote

Well... I feel stupid Razz
Turns out it’s just that everything is more stiff than I imagined. I thought I’d work easier by putting the shock/spring combo without the radius rod assembly, especially since it’d seem incredibly difficult to torque the lower shock bolt with the radius rod in place. It would appear that it’s the wrong order in which to do things. When reassembling this version of LCA, I guess this is what needs to be done:
1. Install lower control arm on sub-frame.
2. Install shock into LCA and torque lower bolt (make sure bolt comes from rear of the van). Support the assembly with floor jack (I set under the shock using a 2x2).
3. Thread radius rod into sub-frame and attach to LCA (lifting the LCA/shock high helps). I didn’t put the other half of the radius rod bushing yet.
4. Slide the compressed spring with spring pad onto shock.
5. Press the shock down and push the shock/spring assembly forward into the frame, you might need to move the jack aside to get more wiggle room. If you can do this relatively quickly and precisely, you might have time to put the jack back under the shock and help guide the slowly expanding shock into the little hole. I was able to do so by sticking a finger in the hole from above (insert inappropriate joke here) to guide the shock end and pushing the shock around with an open wrench through the coils of the spring. Worked great! Install the bushing, washer and nut.
6. Jack up the shock even more, just before the point that the van wants to lift from your floor jacks.
7. Do whatever it takes for the radius rod forward bushing to sit flat on the sub-frame. For my situation, I had to use a long clamp to pull the radius rod inward from right behind the rear radius rod bushing.
8. Remove the spring compressors.

Things look fine now, no need for me to panic about swapping LCA sides after all... but hey, at least I learned a lot!!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: