Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

IRS's build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any guesses on the color? Getting ready to paint it! Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color is gm laser blue B)
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice color, now it's ready for money. Cool
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got the tool i needed to get the trailing arms off. the plan for tonight is to pull off the ones on the chassis and the spaire torsion, paint up the new ones in a dark metallic silver, and start assembly!
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so there is a new snafu holding me up. I am switching over the trailing arms and when i assemble the rear wheel bearings, everything stack up right untill i got to the bearing cap and seal. it seems like the spacer the seal rides on is sitting too far into the bearing housing so the outer lip of the seal is not even touching it. then, to add insult to injury, the bearing cap is going to be held about another .075 out from the housing because of the empi disk brake kit... so i have to figure out what to do here....... Ideas anyone?
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks a whole lot nicer than my rustoleum!
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Ride Sand wrote:
Ok, so there is a new snafu holding me up. ... Ideas anyone?

Switch back to drums.... Laughing
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
I Ride Sand wrote:
Ok, so there is a new snafu holding me up. ... Ideas anyone?

Switch back to drums.... Laughing

And back out of this challenge? NEVER!!! Twisted Evil
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! so after carefully inspecting all of the empi parts, i have decided they suck. however, i have them and nothing else, so i am running them. One of the biggest issues with the kits is the caliper bracket is quite a bit thicker than factory backing plates, i measured .055". so to compensate i decided to face off the bearing cap to allow for the added thickness without moving the seal outward.

another problem i had was the cheapo seal kits had seals in them that were quite a bit thicker than factory, so i went and bought some SKF seals that were the correct width. turning the bearing cap down also ment that the chamfer that the o-ring that seals it would no longer work, so i decided on some gray permatex on both sides of the bracket and a paper gasket between the bracket and bearing cap.

then there was a slight hiccup......

i had an easy fix for it though....

then the caliper was bolted on and everything fit! i love it when a bad idea works out!

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the caliper bracket is quite a bit thicker than factory backing plates, i measured .055".

Do you mean that the caliper bracket is .055" THICKER than the stock backing plate? That would work out, but it reads rather like you're saying the bracket is .055" thick. So I'm a little puzzled, but I think I understand what you're saying.

Handy to have a lathe and tools around the shop.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Quote:
the caliper bracket is quite a bit thicker than factory backing plates, i measured .055".

Do you mean that the caliper bracket is .055" THICKER than the stock backing plate?

yep... you got it. Embarassed
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm not the only one around here who types stupid sometimes?
Rolling Eyes

Cool
SoCalBajas Member
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch cable snapped?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish... the cable is still intact so its inside the bellhousing whatever it is. Im hoping one of the clips came off the bearing or something stupid like that. Im pulling the motor this weekend to find out...
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww DONKEY BALLS!!! that bites can hear it let go at :044 Is that early style throw out bearing? Your rail seems to have been working pretty well till the clutch woes How was it ?
Terry
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryly wrote:
Awww DONKEY BALLS!!! that bites can hear it let go at :044 Is that early style throw out bearing? Your rail seems to have been working pretty well till the clutch woes How was it ?
Terry

Yeah, its the early style throw out bearing. It was working pretty good until the clutch let go, but as soon as the clutch died it also started running like crap... but right before i jumped on the main road it was running pretty nice. once the new beam is on and a pair of spindle mounts are found and modified for brakes, it should be able to pull wheelies. If you burp the throttle it almost wants to lift the front end! Twisted Evil the best part is this is just a borrowed engine from my baja, the real rail engine is going to be some turbo shindig with waaaaay too much power! Twisted Evil
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: IRS's build thread Reply with quote

my buddy josh and i got our rails running, so we went for a ride!

Link

Link

josh ended his season with a hole in the bottom of the engine from a rock, and mine ended with a letter from state farm.

so, the engine went back into the baja and this has been purchased:

the adapter plate is on the way! there is an 091/1 waiting to be swapped in with it!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS's build thread Reply with quote

Those two videos look like a lot of fun in a mild buggy.

What I particularly like is that they show the front suspension working just fine and plenty soft enough without bottoming out with what appears to be a stone stock link pin front end with only KYB Gas-A-Just shocks. This is a video that all those folks whining about how their buggy is too stiff in the front or that the KYBs are too harsh and stiff.

Once you put that Subie in there, you may want to step up the bracing of that frame and the suspension as well to hang with the power increase.
SoCalBajas Member
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: IRS's build thread Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Those two videos look like a lot of fun in a mild buggy.

What I particularly like is that they show the front suspension working just fine and plenty soft enough without bottoming out with what appears to be a stone stock link pin front end with only KYB Gas-A-Just shocks. This is a video that all those folks whining about how their buggy is too stiff in the front or that the KYBs are too harsh and stiff.

agreed. the front end is a bone stock link pin beam with some quite old gas-a-just shocks. the only mod done is the PO cut off the bump stops and let the shock do the limiting. the rear is a dead stock late IRS setup, and i love it. torsion bars are even stock indexed, no issues at all. handles well and has just the right amount of droop to keep the wheels on the ground. there is nothing that can compare to a mild vw buggy when it comes to bang for the buck. my first rail was a complete scrap pile that i paid a grand total of 600 bucks for, and my friends and i took the thing to the sand dunes. i also brought my cr250, and only had 15 gallons of gas for the week. 10 was premix, 5 was clear. i was so amazed at how fun and capable the rail was even with worn radials and a "shop floor" engine, all but 3 gallons of the fuel was burned in the rail. it would go almost anywhere, but the best part was getting it in the hard places. its a great test of skill, i always prefer the technical driving at the dunes than just being able to point and shoot.

now, as for the engine choice on this rail, it was cheaper than doing a well-built aircooled motor with efi. after i came up with a complete price list for both, the subie and vw were pretty much dead even. I really love the way a turbo engine behaves, so i chose it.

dustymojave wrote:
Once you put that Subie in there, you may want to step up the bracing of that frame and the suspension as well to hang with the power increase.

Where do you recommend for additional bracing? I'm not above burning up fresh paint! I think it would look better in silver anyway!

the suspension is the upgrade scheduled for next winter its not going to be super wild, just gusseting/longer front arms and 3x3's in the rear with type 2 cv's just to add a bit more travel, then some adjustable fox remote reservoir shocks so i can tune the travel that's there. maybe a cut and turn if there is too much sag in the front with the new arms. i really rather have 8" of well tuned suspension than 12" of garbage. its just a mild desert toy and a fire road cruiser. the 90" wheelbase is a bit short for anything too radical.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: