Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

IRS's build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS's build thread Reply with quote

Look at the Berrien (Acme) site under Berrien Buggy - Sand Rails - Options & Accessories for their "CHASSIS BRACE KITS". It will fit right into your frame, even if yours is a Beeline I believe.

http://www.acmecarco.com/berrien-buggy/sand-rails/options-and-accessories

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 90" wheelbase. Check out Iguana's videos of the shorter little Tow'd they took to the NORRA Mexican 1000.

I have stock arms and torsions on my Hi Jumper with 8" travel KYBs on 8" plate towers and the stock lower shock mounts. It has 10" of travel that way and it works great.

If you're going for 3x3s, you might want to go for a +6 beam. That could be built from a pair of stock beams.

Fox or King type shocks would be nice, but are not necessary to get a play buggy that works pretty nice. Rancho or Skyjacker or Pro-Comp double tube shocks will serve quite well for play use. My friend has a big 4 seater with 15" front travel and 20" of rear travel. It has Rancho shocks. They've worked very nicely. They will fade a bit after a couple hours of hard desert whoops and rough terrain at the high speed his 400+hp Acura NSX engine will push the car. It never gets serious, but I wouldn't try to race the car that way. Still, for play use, it works just fine.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
I Ride Dirt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS's build thread Reply with quote

I think I Ride Sand needs to update this thread.. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS's build thread Reply with quote

I Ride Dirt wrote:
I think I Ride Sand needs to update this thread.. Cool

what about your non existent build thread that you've told me you going to start? Laughing
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS's build thread Reply with quote

So i took the rail out to the dunes for the first time, and a couple things have become quite apparent to me.

(1) it needs more power.
(2) it needs more suspension travel.
(3) it needs better gearing.
(4) it needs more light.
(5) steel wheels and drums are heavy. need to add disks to the spindle mounts.

but those are always issues, right? Laughing

the good news is i make about 3 times what i did now annually than when i started this thread, so this project will get a shot of monetary stimulation soon. i just need to buy a few tools first like a lathe, a mill, tube bender, and a plasma cutter suitable to be set up on a cnc plasma table. once that is done in the next few weeks, i'll be looking for a 091 trans to swap in with some 3x3's or bigger.

so a couple questions, how much travel can i eek out of torsion bars before coils will be required? is there any real need to go to some exotic stub axle if i'm shooting for say 14" travel?

also, just to show how it did in the sand, check this out!

Link

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS's build thread Reply with quote

Quote:
so a couple questions, how much travel can i eek out of torsion bars before coils will be required? is there any real need to go to some exotic stub axle if i'm shooting for say 14" travel?

A friend of mine has a 4 seat buggy with an Acura NSX V6 engine. It has a beam front end with +4" arms on torsion leaves for about 15" of front travel, 5x6 rear arms with VW hubs, on torsion bars (Sway-A-Way 28mm long bars in a wide torsion housing, with modified short torsion swingaxle spring plates) for about 20" of rear travel. We've beat the HELL out of that car for years. It works well.

Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS's build thread Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Quote:

A friend of mine has a 4 seat buggy with an Acura NSX V6 engine. It has a beam front end with +4" arms on torsion leaves for about 15" of front travel, 5x6 rear arms with VW hubs, on torsion bars (Sway-A-Way 28mm long bars in a wide torsion housing, with modified short torsion swingaxle spring plates) for about 20" of rear travel. We've beat the HELL out of that car for years. It works well.

I haven't found ANY +4 arms that will work with torsion. All that I found were through rod. Biggest I've found were 2x1 I believe.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS's build thread Reply with quote

Those arms were made in the 90s. They haven't been made with the square bore for torsion leaves for many years.
SoCalBajas Member
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS's build thread Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Those arms were made in the 90s. They haven't been made with the square bore for torsion leaves for many years.

I wonder if I could have them broached somewhere or milled out.
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS's build thread Reply with quote

welp, its the end of a saga. the rail has been sold, and a suzuki samurai has been bought. it was fun, but i like having a windshield and a heater. the 50 year old parts have been drying up and the new ones are junk. figured it was time for a different offroad rig.
I Ride Sand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS's build thread Reply with quote

Well its been a minute. I did sell the sandrail a while back, and it popped up for sale, I talked to the guy. We have agreed on a price!

So this thread may get a revival if all goes as planned. Cool
desertwrx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="I Ride Sand"]OK! so after carefully inspecting all of the empi parts, i have decided they suck. however, i have them and nothing else, so i am running them. One of the biggest issues with the kits is the caliper bracket is quite a bit thicker than factory backing plates, i measured .055". so to compensate i decided to face off the bearing cap to allow for the added thickness without moving the seal outward.

Today I found I had .063 thickness difference for the caliper bracket thickness.

Into the lathe go my brackets too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: