Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New 1904 - Guidance please
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

76 it is!!
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next question. What are the best rods to give me the least hassle, using the A pistons and a 76mm crank?

5.325 H Beam? Any brand recommendations? Best bolts?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you already have the A Pistons & Cylinders?
The short rods 5.325" rods work with the 74mm crank and A pistons but with a 76mm crank your going to need the B pistons or a lot of shim (about .100") under the cylinders and longer push rods even with the short 5.325" rods your engine will be a little wider too. That's why I used the 74mm crank. Didn't want to mess with the push rod length and wanted to run the A pistons.

John explains it here just below the picture of the rod in the case: http://www.aircooled.net/1800cc-vw-engine-no-machine-combo/

As far as rod bolts the CB Performance 3.325" 5.325" H-Beam racing rods and the AA Performance 3.325" 5.325" I-Beam come with their own ARP Style bolts as shown in the photo in Johns article above. But the I-Beam rods have a larger bolt that won't clear the case as well as the H-Beam ones which came with the 3/8" Rod Bolts. I'm not sure I trust the Rod bolts that came from China with the AA-Performance 5.325" I-Beams!

Last edited by Danwvw on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Do you already have the A Pistons & Cylinders?

As far as rod bolts the CB Performance 3.325" H-Beam racing rods and the AA Performance 3.325" I-Beam come with their own ARP Style bolts as shown in the photo in Johns article above. But the I-Beam rods have a larger bolt that won't clear the case as well as the H-Beam ones which came with the 3/8" Rod Bolts. I'm not sure I trust the Rod bolts that came from China with the AA-Performance 5.325" I-Beams!

Hi Dan, yep already have the "a" P&Cs.

Modok and John have given some good info on the wideness issues. Which I am pretty comfortable with.

I am leaning towards the H beams. Just wondering more if there is much difference between manufacturers?

Here is a little pic of the car:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
deadkombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go the CB performance H beams. They finish hone them and have proved good for me.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the H beams from Air cooled Net on my last rebuild they were the CB-Performance H beams. Had them check for balance end to end and total but they did not need anything. They are a very nice rod.
On the engine I am building now I ordered the $139 Chinese manufactured AA-Performance I beams for it. Just got them out last night and started looking them over and they need some de-burring and from the looks of them they will need considerable work to balance. Wish I had another set of H-Beams instead!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WORD. Try a pin in those I-beams. I had to hone the small ends. and the bolts seemed to be 12.5mm.
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it looks like the title to this thread may change.. It may be becoming apparent I am not in this with a particular dream spec engine. I am in it for the challenge, the experience and learning, plus I enjoy parts hunting... and as luck would have it, I got a sweet deal on some CB 044 heads (40x35, dual springs) and a 78.8 c/w crank (which according to some of you appears to be forged and worth a go). Interesting twist is, the heads are cut for 94s ... so looks like all I need is some bigger carbs and I have bits that better match the cam. Trick now is making it all work...

Modok, you say 92s clear a 78 crank.

modok wrote:
92 A mahle pistons will clear a DPR raceweight 78 stroke crank with 5.3 length rods. I checked that last time the question came up...

What about a 78.8 crank?

Reason I ask is I have some 92a mahle p&cs I could use. (They are thin walls though). Or, I trade my 90.5a p&cs and 92a p&cs and arrange either some 92 thick walls (and use the copper wire trick - see earlier post by Dan Ruddock) or 94s.

I haven't got the case cut or clearanced yet. I now have good heads cut for 94s. I figure the piston skirt clearance issues will be minimal with 94s (if there are any clearance issues at all).

I think I go 94 [edit] B p&cs, in which case the build will look more like:

As41 case
78.8 c/w forged crank
94b p&cs
Cb 044 (40x35) dual springs
Webcam 163+6 (I've still got it)
1.25:1 rockers
5.5 rods ( do they need to be h-beam now?)
Probably DRLA 40s or IDF 44s (depends on what I find)

Of course: measure.measure.check.assemble.measure.measure.check.assemble etc.etc. I am just trying to get closer to having the right parts for a balanced combo.

I appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

Last edited by Hustlers67 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 5.3" rod is .025 thou shorter than any currently made, and your crank pulls the piston only .015 more, so actually you'd have MORE clearance.

You CAN use A pistons at 78.8 stroke, but no more. I would be best to use .060 copper "head gaskets" to allow you to run the piston all the way to the top. Short rods will help keep the engine as narrow as it can be.
I would not want to do this with thinwall cylinders!

AA thickwall cylinders are available to fit "94" or "90.5/92" case size, but use 94 size heads. I think you should get the cylinders in hand and measured before deciding what rods to buy,
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course.. the 92 thickwalls are the same size as the 94s eh, so no copper wire trick needed.
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have said 94 B p&cs.

As if I have to get a new set of p&cs it will be the stroker ones. That should fix up the rod selection issue.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, but with all the options I don't know if you'll want 5.325, 5.4 or 5.5

92b mahle pistons in AA cylinders is kinda cool too. good 92b pistons are actually the most common size to find good used.
I do not know if this is because they lose ring seal so fast or because the guys that DO want to build a thinwall stroker just tend to build time bombs anyhow. Shocked
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks modok that's good to know. And no, not planning on building a time bomb, which is why I'm fleshing it all out here before I get too deep.

I couldn't find a build sheet, or thread that has 94b x 78.8.

'B' pistons will make the assembly and width issues a whole lot easier (when compared to the fiddle with short rods and 'a' pistons), right?

I'd like to keep it as close to stock width as possible.

Last edited by Hustlers67 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2187cc, cool. Closest to stock width will be 5.4" rods. 5.5's will also work and only make the engine ever so slightly wider (once you account for proper deck height), but when given the choice I prefer short rods and slightly narrower over slightly wider. Pin heights between AA's and Cima's are also 1mm different, so you'll have to account for that as well.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

92B pistons are fine, it's the 92B cylinders that were a problem (THIN WALL). So it is an option to buy a set of used pistons, and then buy some new thickwall cylinders to complete the package on the cheap.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/AA-92mm-Cylinders-THICK-WALL-94mm-Head-92mm-Case-p/vw9200t1kl.htm

modok wrote:

92b mahle pistons in AA cylinders is kinda cool too. good 92b pistons are actually the most common size to find good used.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying that John, that makes sense.

GTV, yep 2187 - an unusual number, its a long way from 1904.. I think slightly narrower would be better too.

Lots of measuring to do!
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on the hunt for Carbies:

With this set up (2187cc) - I am looking out for:

- Weber IDF 44s
- Dellorto DRLA 40s
- Dellorto DRLA 45s

I know jetting is the variable - but I just want to get the best base unit. I also understand the jet access benefits on the DRLAs (over the IDFs).

Would the DRLA 40s be too small?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO 45s are a bit too big. The 44 IDFs or 40 DRLAs will work very well.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 DRLA are about perfect for conservatively ported 40mm intake valve heads.
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Again,

I should probably change the name/title of this thread to "2187 guidance please" any ideas how to do this?

Anyway - I got some Dellorto DRLA 40's. They are in good condition and appear to be straight off an Alfa Romeo?? The Jetting is:

Vents: 32
Air: 180
Main: 142
Idle: 52

From my search of comparative setups - this doesnt appear too far off the mark?? Maybe a bigger idle jet is needed?

I will need a filter set up and a linkage. Are velocity stacks essential?

I am not sure what if any modifications will be needed to make them work for a VW - I have seen Jet Dr's and other things referred to and will need to research them. I plan on getting the Dellorto Superformance book and doing some reading. Any other suggestions?

I am also conscious that untested carbs are not a wise move for engine break in... but TBH I am a long way from there!

Slowly slowly
Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: