Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, etc.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

...All correct. However, there is a key point within your comment that the rear and front drive shafts almost never spin the same. On dry, wet or windy roads WHENEVER there is a difference between the rear and front drive shafts, it is ALWAYS the front drive shaft spinning faster than the rear. ALWAYS. Always. Always. Always.

If anyone can give me a single example where that is not true, please give it. I don't mean that defiantly, but simply to make the point for all time. It has become like a mantra to me and if you are having trouble either understanding it, or accepting it - watch some of the videos linked several pages ago for a pretty simple visual explanation many will have that "aha!" moment with.

Since the front is always spinning faster (or the same) than the rear on the road, there is zero engine torque transfer to the fronts driving a Syncro on the road.

iDoug, here is your example where it is not "always. always. always..."

My current actual scenario. The first time I did a 5 wheel tire rotation with my new Nokian WRC Vans, I put my new spare on the front driver side. That would give me larger fronts (average circ), right?. This will happen again this month when I switch back to the BFGs for summer. The BFGs have one summer season of use and the spare is unused. What was the spare will go driver-front.

I'm not saying this is noticable/preferable/desirable, etc. I'm just saying that there is some torque that will not be "braking" in a straight line in my particular circumstance.
The slight differences in tire circumference will accumulate and impart a tractive forward force until I turn, which will release the "accumulated tension" and perhaps, if turned enough, braking force. My hypothesis is that MY VC is torquing both CW and CCW during normal non-slip driving and will this summer too.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
JMy decoupler sometimes needs a blip on the throttle

mine too, I try to find neutral pressure on the geartrain

sometimes I press the knob off early, nearing the top of a climb, knowing that when I back off the throttle as I crest the top, the light will go out and I can start turning without binding

both the VC and the Solid shaft follow the same rules of engagement, and both benefit from being able to release tension and binding of the drivetrain by spinning a wheel

Last edited by Jon_slider on Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raoul,

Yes that would do it, however throughout this discussion I have assumed and said as much that this assumes correctly same size tires. Obviously if that is violated, any scenario is possible. Like 33" tires on the left wheels, 25" on right. Like stopping every 10 feet on all curves, jacking up the fronts and taking tension off, and repeating. Like driving w one side tires on the grassy shoulder to let thing slip on curves, etc. Same size tires is a good baseline. Of interest, measure tires with a fabric tape and youll be surprised at the variations of tire circumference.!!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Raoul,

Yes that would do it, however throughout this discussion I have assumed and said as much that this assumes correctly same size tires. Obviously if that is violated, any scenario is possible. Like 33" tires on the left wheels, 25" on right. Like stopping every 10 feet on all curves, jacking up the fronts and taking tension off, and repeating. Like driving w one side tires on the grassy shoulder to let thing slip on curves, etc. Same size tires is a good baseline. Of interest, measure tires with a fabric tape and youll be surprised at the variations of tire circumference.!!

Doug,

I was under the impression you meant 'always' and 'impossible' and 'zero' regardless -- maybe I missed something -- whereas the debate opposition is saying there are real world 'anomalies' including tire diameters that have an impact, etc.

Or do you mean to be literal about the more extreme differences you cite above -- that there has to first be some pretty wide disparity for what Raoul said to be true ?

No offense -- just trying to understand.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how many miles difference on the two tires, more than 5k miles since rotation?

6 months daily driving = 4420 miles. I'd say I would be at 5-6k before the last rotation.

Less than the 3mm from that SAE paper for sure. I know because the WRC Vans have mm indicators on the face of the tires. The 10mm mark is gone on all the tires. Driver front has more "8" than the rest and almost can see some 10 left. Let's not make this about my rotation schedule please.

Jon/Doug, you are missing the point, perhaps intentionally. With 1mm bigger fronts, each straight line revolution will accumulate and will eventually remove slop, then progress to "static" torque, then cause slippage that is under the 5 rpm threshold for torque progression. This is not off schedule, mismatched, negligent, or otherwise. It is simply the real world that I am trying to understand and discuss.

-d
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
turning is causing more activity in your VC than the silly milimeter difference

Jon, is this opinion, calculation, or did you find this somewhere? Can you show me where you get this?

1mm (.04") diameter difference is .125" difference in circumference. Sure this is only 5.5" over 100 yards. 8 feet over a mile. Is that a silly number?

I'm looking for more than opinion and not just someone being dismissive because they really don't like VC's because they got stuck in a creek once. Wink

Approaching 200k miles on the original VC that has passed the VC 2x4 test and no receipts showing tranny work. No decoupler. Bought from original owner with all paperwork including window tag.

-d
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, my point as Waldi kindly pointed out, this is infinitely more that zero/always/etc.
Just trying to be accurate because people here often give their credentials and then state absolutes that are not absolutely correct.

-d
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing on the silly number theme.

If you had a rigid bar 1 mile long, held in place at each end by rigid stops, guess how high that bar would bend if you added 1 foot to its length?
Answer: 44.5' high. (edit, I had mistakenly put 44.5", it is 44.5 feet high, next sentence is still correct.)

8' to the length would raise that bar 126'. (calculated from a constant radius arc)

-d
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confess I have absolutely no idea what that means. But a Syncro driving on the road still does not transfer any engine torque to the front wheels under any circumstances without rear wheelspin. Zero. Yes, you can intentionally put mismatched tires on it and cause faster rear rotation - absolutely. But at some point well before zany modifications are suggested, it might be a good thing for understanding the VC system to completely grasp that the Syncro and its VC system have some operating conditions worth knowing about. And a key thing to understand is that if the rear wheels are not rotating faster than the fronts, no torque is transferred to the front wheels. Said another way, if the front wheels are rotating the same speed as the rear wheels (driving perfectly straight), or faster than the rears (anything other than perfectly straight), there is no torque transfer. Ruling out driving straight, and also ruling out not driving straight leaves - well - nothing.

raoul mitgong wrote:
Continuing on the silly number theme.

If you had a rigid bar 1 mile long, held in place at each end by rigid stops, guess how high that bar would bend if you added 1 foot to its length?
Answer: 44.5' high. (edit, I had mistakenly put 44.5", it is 44.5 feet high, next sentence is still correct.)

8' to the length would raise that bar 126'. (calculated from a constant radius arc)

-d

1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just trying to show the relationship between a 1mm larger tire and degree of road curve. One straight mile vs 5288 ft that curves 126 feet off the straight line. Let me know if I am still unclear. Wanting to get on the same page with Jon on curve vs diameter input into the VC.
Nothing zany, anyone doing a 5 wheel rotation would get the same thing. I happen to be doing a 10 wheel rotation. 😃
-d
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it would be interesting to know a typical figure of how much farther the fronts travel than the rears in a typical car's life. I think it would be surprising. If you ponder it for a second, an around town drive would be the highest % of extra front miles due to all the turns, where a freeway drive would be the least. I would have a high % because I go through several roundabouts a day!! A rough formula could probably be worked out.

Interesting. I think you'd have to have a problematic tire size difference to offset it. However, I will admit that I hand measured my Syncro tires and put the smaller ones on the rear in hopes of having earlier VC activation.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I confess I have absolutely no idea what that means. But a Syncro driving on the road still does not transfer any engine torque to the front wheels under any circumstances without rear wheelspin.

Zero, is a theoretical number.
If the engine producec torque on the rear tires while going straight on road, there is slip between rear tires and road and there is torque to the front, if we have "same" front and raer wheel size.
"same" is also a theoretical number.

The slip between rear wheels and road depends of the road, the speed, the weight, the tires, the engine torque, the road and tire temperature etc.

Edit:
This is the reason while the vc feels siffer after a highway drive.
High speed means high rear tire slip, means torque transfer through the vc to the front.
Power/roque transfer with friction produces heat and wear. On tires same as in the vc.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
Zero, is a theoretical number.
If the engine producec torque on the rear tires while going straight on road, there is slip between rear tires and road and there is torque to the front, if we have "same" front and raer wheel size.
"same" is also a theoretical number.

The slip between rear wheels and road depends of the road, the speed, the weight, the tires, the engine torque, the road and tire temperature etc.

Edit:
This is the reason while the vc feels siffer after a highway drive.
High speed means high rear tire slip, means torque transfer through the vc to the front.
Power/roque transfer with friction produces heat and wear. On tires same as in the vc.

Very good Waldi. Yet another way of saying what many of us have in this thread. Cool
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Yeah, it would be interesting to know a typical figure of how much farther the fronts travel than the rears in a typical car's life. I think it would be surprising. If you ponder it for a second, an around town drive would be the highest % of extra front miles due to all the turns, where a freeway drive would be the least. I would have a high % because I go through several roundabouts a day!! A rough formula could probably be worked out.

Interesting. I think you'd have to have a problematic tire size difference to offset it. However, I will admit that I hand measured my Syncro tires and put the smaller ones on the rear in hopes of having earlier VC activation.

Doug,

No, I don't think you would need a problematic tire difference. I just gave an actual, realistic, often occurring, real world answer to your asking for an example. I gave you data backing it up. I gave you comparisons of tire diameter vs road curve.

Quote:
But a Syncro driving on the road still does not transfer any engine torque to the front wheels under any circumstances without rear wheelspin.

I understand that this is the design intent . However negligible, I don't believe the SAE paper, physics, math, actual measurements, etc. show that they achieved their intent perfectly and have not read anything here or elsewhere that contradicts that (except for the postage stamp size graph that has speed and torque meeting at zero on the SAE paper). For that to happen, you would need a frictionless VC until it started slipping (not possible) and perfectly matched tires (not possible). I think we are going to have to agree to disagree here.

-d
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you guys are grasping at straws here to "prove" that the Syncro does transmit engine torque to the front wheels under all conditions.

So its rear wheel slippage while driving along a paved road now? Yes - in a purely engineering sense that is also true in the real world, the rear wheels of a rear wheel drive car are slipping vs the pavement under them. In fact, all tires are always slipping in some sense. In cornering there is a "slip angle" of the fronts and one for the rear. Tires are in reality slipping all the time and thats how tire wear occurs.

There could be considered a continuum of vehicles laid out from high slip to low slip for driving wheels. Cars like a modern high performance Camaro, a Lamborghini, a Vette at one end whose 400+ horsepower, stiff tires and stiff suspension yield slippage at freeway speeds just driving along. At the other end would be lower horsepower vehicles. At the extreme further end would be something like the Vanagon with 95hp and its engine weight atop its rear drive wheels and the aerodynamics of a box shifting further wheelspin-preventing weight onto the rear tires.

So, yes the Vanagon like all cars generates real world wheelspin while it drives along on a paved road.

As for the VC heating up on the freeway because of this, I disagree. It is the binding from driving along a normal curved high speed road that is generating BRAKING friction in the VC which the VC dissipates by turning it into VC friction and thus heat.

Heh - great stuff! Getting into the subtleties of vehicle dynamics. I referred to this way back in the thread and now we are there...
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally Doug, you are out on a limb without any proof, documents, pictures, videos or even a Syncro van in your possession.
You seem to be about the only one holding strong on your position.

Others follow along for a bit, but than delete or edit what they write.

Let's see proof of your stance in reference to a Vanagon Syncro's VC and your own written text doesn't count.

The VC documentation from around the world speaks for itself.

Let's see some proof, not conjecture being repeated, over and over and over.

My standard reply to the pmails I get asking where your proof is, all get the same reply....yawn.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is agreeing to disagree, like being unable to understand?

Lets try this analogy
The Pope says:
The earth is flat, I can see it with my own eyes.
The sun rises in the East, I can see it with my own eyes.
If your name is Galileo, and you think the Earth is Round, lets agree to disagree..

wait, thats not how it works, Galileo went to prison, not because he did not agree, so much as because he was not understood.

Now lets see if we can fit the analogy to how a VC functions:

The Pope says:
A VC transfers traction, I can feel it.
The Traction makes a syncro All Wheel Drive on pavement, I can feel it.
If your name is iDoug, and you think a VC transfers zero traction without rear spin, lets agree to disagree.

wait, thats not how it works, iDoug is in the Doubt House, not because he did not agree, so much as because he was not understood.

lets either agree to disagree, or agree there is a lack of understanding:

The Earth is not really flat, and the sun does not really rise, because the Earth is not the center of the Galaxy.

A VC does not transfer traction on dry pavement, a Syncro is not really AWD, because it has no center differential.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have understood Doug's position on this topic from day one that he came around here.
Not only do I understand what he is saying, but disagree and have not seen one fact, document, video or analogy that has me feeling that his description of what is going on is true at all.

I am strictly talking Vanagon Syncro parts, not Mitsubishi, Toyota, Audi....Vanagon Syncro.

Proof is in the pudding, not just an unfounded, repeated position in interweb forums.

Let's see some proof to back up these statements.

The only thing flat around here is Doug's argument without any proof.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should have a test. Gather up two vans that are similar, but different center differentials...

Drive on snow, slush, sand, dirt, pavement, slickrock, beaches, tree stumps, and everything else in the world.

Personally? I don't want to reach over and turn on 4wd when I need it and worry about breaking parts if I have to take a turn somewhere.

I would bet you a case of beer, that I can follow a solid shaft van anywhere with my VC van. And I'll do it without worrying about my front tires creating too much friction, without worrying if I should decouple in order to make the tight turn needed, or if I run into a spot on the canyon highway where the plow dumped a lot of snow melt the night before, right in the middle of a turn coming out of a spot that dumped 6" of fresh snow...

I'll take the VC, coupled, as SDP and VW designed it, even still after 29 years of use...
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iDoug, it does get frustrating. These guys have a point. We know you are well educated and worked in the industry and have provided much useful information in this forum on many topics. But on this topic you seem to just have a faith in your beliefs (I'd call you the Pope in Jon's analogy due to that faith) and nothing is going to make you take the time to think it through (perhaps I'm wrong and you have thought it through, but don't share your thought process).

I asked you to comment on a simple mechanical system a few pages back. Ignored. I gave you a detailed real world example, you called it zany and took it to an extreme of 33" and 25" tires to make it go away as if I'm talking nonsense. I am never too old to learn if you have something to teach. If I post, I try to add another perspective, question, data point, or something new. Continuing to post the same thing as you have has got to be frustrating as well. How about digging into some of the questions and proving them one way or another?

-d
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 47

Jump to: