Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, etc.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, et Reply with quote

Yup, reverse switches are for reverse gear on the transmission and decoupler switches are for decouplers.
I would send a note to the vendor selling them that they should offer the proper switch.

Also spacers must be used and if that distance is off a bit, the light becomes intermittent or always off...same as with the lockers.

I spring for the proper parts, the late parts with the plastic connectors so the factory wiring is plug and play.
ryanoceros
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, et Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Vacuum should be maintained in the three bulb canister.
You can double them up and use a check valve to keep adequate vacuum if needed.

Just to clarify: do you mean that an additional three-bulb canister could be plumbed in with a check valve to help maintain vacuum in the system? Would you plumb that in series or parallel with the existing canister?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, et Reply with quote

It would totally depend upon the situation and need shown by the system.

Check out the way that those canisters are plumbed in other vehicles that use them as well.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, et Reply with quote

It would totally depend upon the situation and need shown by the system.

Check out the way that those canisters are plumbed in other vehicles that use them as well.[/youtube]
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, etc. Reply with quote

look what I found in my signature link:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7620682#7620682

Jon_slider wrote:
IdahoDoug wrote:
this idea of the residual torque powers the front wheels all the time. Unequivocally no. A center differential quite literally was "invented" to accomplish this in a vehicle with two powered axles. It does it because each axle (front/rear) can be powered by the differential even when their speeds are different. One input shaft from the engine is split into two independent powered shafts powered by a differential which can let one shaft accelerate. The Syncro uses a single powered shaft, which can power another shaft only if that shaft is spinning slower. It is physically impossible to power that (front) shaft if it is spinning either the same speed, or faster. Physically impossible.

That isn't theory on my part. It isn't personal bias on my part. It is quite basic powertrain engineering.

IdahoDoug wrote:
On dry, wet or windy roads WHENEVER there is a difference between the rear and front drive shafts, it is ALWAYS the front drive shaft spinning faster than the rear. ALWAYS. Always. Always. Always.

IdahoDoug wrote:
I want those who feel the "stablizing" feeling in a Syncro to know I now realize that is mechanically true. Very interesting.

snowsyncro wrote:
there is around 50 N-m of static friction, when the difference between in and out is less than 5 RPM.

so, this static friction would Not be happening when the front wheels are turning faster than the rear, correct?

Imo what we feel is the rear wheels braking dragging, not the front wheels pulling. The front wheels cant Make power, they can only receive it from the rear, and only if the Rear turns Faster, which Never happens on dry pavement.

Steering makes the VC plates slip, which creates a braking force afaict, not traction..

I can agree there is 50nM of front wheel Traction when a Syncro firsts starts moving forward from a stop in a straight line on Slippery Surfaces.

However, on dry pavement, with no wheel spin, that 50nM is not traction at the front wheels, because the rear wheels are pushing the van, and the front wheels are being turned by the ground.

So, a VC Syncro STILL does not have front wheel TRACTION, it is NOT All Wheel Drive, on dry pavement, there is no power splitting center differential.. The VC does appear to be very good at Braking the Van.

So, if you want a Braking advantage, couple your VC on dry pavement. But bear in mind that uses geartrain binding for braking. imo it is more economical to decouple, and save the transaxle from any binding, on dry pavement.

A VC does not provide Traction on dry Pavement, Never Ever, it only provides Drag. About 55nM of "residual" or "stiction", Braking Torque for a Sport VC.

moral of the story:
Save Your Tranny! Decouple your VC on Dry Pavement Smile

Happy Passover and Happy Easter!

Update also see http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7620682#7620682

raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Agree with all of this. Exactly correct. As the conversation moves forward it will inevitably focus down to how much rear tire slip happens in the straight ahead on dry pavement. Then, of course, as you drive in a normal day whether or not the continued curves and turns mean that over the course of a normal day the fronts turned farther than the rear. I think that will indeed be easily shown to be the case due to the simple geometry of turning a 4 wheeled car. If that is so, the Syncro front axle would be said to have not been powered by the VC except for here and there during straight ahead full acceleration.

In a normal day, the VC/rubber shaft would see many revolutions of torque application in the braking direction. Not in the "engine driven torque" direction.

And not to sound presumptive, but I think then you'd have arrived at the place I've had the holy hell beaten out of me trying to explain. The Syncro VC does not power its front axle all the time, but in fact it is a pretty rare occurrance just as VW designed.

Nice work so far.

That links to page 23 here early April 2015.
Looks like Doug is not only good at teaching, but is teachable, willing to learn. (Above cut from 4/24/15 page 43 42)

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
IdahoDoug wrote:
Agree with all of this. Exactly correct. As the conversation moves forward it will inevitably focus down to how much rear tire slip happens in the straight ahead on dry pavement. Then, of course, as you drive in a normal day whether or not the continued curves and turns mean that over the course of a normal day the fronts turned farther than the rear. I think that will indeed be easily shown to be the case due to the simple geometry of turning a 4 wheeled car. If that is so, the Syncro front axle would be said to have not been powered by the VC except for here and there during straight ahead full acceleration.

In a normal day, the VC/rubber shaft would see many revolutions of torque application in the braking direction. Not in the "engine driven torque" direction.

And not to sound presumptive, but I think then you'd have arrived at the place I've had the holy hell beaten out of me trying to explain. The Syncro VC does not power its front axle all the time, but in fact it is a pretty rare occurrance just as VW designed.

Nice work so far.

That links to page 23 here early April 2015.
Looks like Doug is not only good at teaching, but is teachable, willing to learn. (Above cut from 4/24/15 page 43 42)

-d

What an odd statement. Doug is incredibly knowledgeable, has decades of experience, and of course has an opinion. Jeez.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, etc. Reply with quote

Tdub,
You must not be watching the disagreements from Jon in Doug's crosswind coupling thread. My statement was aimed at Jon. He jumped over here as the conversation moved on without him in the other thread. He is claiming as fact things that many knowledgeable people are still debating and being unreasonable because some think he is wrong.
After Jon excused himself from the other conversations he must have missed lobbing turds at us and decided to do it over on this thread.
Agreed, Doug is very knowledgeable (but maybe just a little stubborn), I enjoy our debates as it makes me dig deeper.

-d
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, etc. Reply with quote

OK I read this whole thread ( I think).

I am currently servicing my FRONT axles. Clearly, they are worn more on the drive side than the coast side. So my Syncro (with a VC) has spent more of it's life PULLING with the front wheels (than pushing backwards ON the front wheels). Why (in 45 pages) has nobody else simply looked at the front CVs for evidence of pulling?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, etc. Reply with quote

Almost 3 years have passed, and the same people still think the front wheels pull the van, w a VC coupled on dry pavement ... because they cannot comprehend what iDoug has explained:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7620740#7620740
IdahoDoug wrote:
Jon_slider wrote:
so, this static friction would Not be happening when the front wheels are turning faster than the rear, correct?

>> Incorrect. It is happening, but the static friction is simply operating to slow the front wheels. The VC is bidirectional and generates friction in either direction when one set of plates wants to shear the fluid and move them relative to each other. The situation you describe (fronts moving faster than rears) happens on a curve, corner or anything besides perfectly straight ahead - even wandering within your lane on a straight road. So, the "static friction" a you call it DOES happen when the fronts are turning faster than the rear as in when you drive anything other than perfectly straight.

Quote:
Imo what we feel is the rear wheels braking dragging, not the front wheels pulling.

>> Correct. When driving on a typical curve or road, you are feeling the rear plates in the VC spinning at the slower speed of the rear wheels they are directly connected to. Which means the front plates are spinning at the higher speed required for the front tires to complete the larger diameter circle they describe on a curve. The resultant force is on the contact patches of the front tires, which the ground passing underneath must keep spinning faster despite the resistance of the VC wanting to slow them. Since there is plenty of traction available to accomplish this with the ground, there is no obvious outward sign of it, but the engine must in fact make more power to overcome it. An ordinary differential would not do this binding. It would continue to power both fr/rr axles and all four tire contact patches under driving torque.

Quote:
The front wheels cant Make power, they can only receive it from the rear, and only if the Rear turns Faster, which Never happens on dry pavement.

>>Correct.

Quote:
Steering makes the VC plates slip, which creates a braking force afaict, not traction..

>>Correct.

Quote:
I can agree there is 50nM of front wheel Traction when a Syncro firsts starts moving forward from a stop in a straight line on Slippery Surfaces.

>> No power goes to the front VC plates unless the rears are spinning faster. So if the surface is slippery enough to cause rear wheel spin, There is whatever amount of traction available to the front contact patches the surface will generate. It might be 50nM, it might be 85nM, but with the rear wheels spinning, the fronts will get power immediately. When rear wheelspin stops, the power immediately drops back to zero. It's a great device for quick reactions with no driver input.

Quote:
However, on dry pavement, with no wheel spin, that 50nM is not traction at the front wheels, because the rear wheels are pushing the van, and the front wheels are being turned by the ground.

>>Correct.

Quote:
So, a VC Syncro STILL does not have front wheel TRACTION, it is NOT All Wheel Drive, on dry pavement, there is no power splitting center differential.. The VC does appear to be very good at Braking the Van.

>>Correct. And the braking is always done on curves on the fronts only, so it can easily begin cupping the front tires if they are not properly rotated to spread the wear. Good advice on any car, but especially on vehicles with driven front axles.

Quote:
So, if you want a Braking advantage, couple your VC on dry pavement. But bear in mind that uses geartrain binding for braking. imo it is more economical to decouple, and save the transaxle from any binding, on dry pavement.

>>That braking advantage is only under lockup conditions. Negligible on dry pavement, helpful on slippery stuff sometimes. I say sometimes with the following caveat. If you are on slippery stuff on anything but perfectly straight line driving (which as noted is actually rare), the added braking of the fronts may be undesired. On low friction things like ice, the added braking effect of the VC on the fronts only may cause the fronts to break traction before the rears. Its not a panacea but can be helpful. More of a mixed bag. We found when we put a VC on each wheel that it was remarkably helpful on ice to avoid lockup. Then along came ABS.....

Quote:
A VC does not provide Traction on dry Pavement, Never Ever, it only provides Drag. About 55nM of "residual" or "stiction", Braking Torque for a Sport VC.

>>Correct. Never ever (heh).

Quote:
moral of the story:
Save Your Tranny! Decouple your VC on Dry Pavement Smile

>>Agree. It needlessly places pressure on the nondrive side of the gears in the front diff. Possibly the trans as well but I would have to think about that. Nope, thought about it - only the front diff and front CVs.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, etc. Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
Almost 3 years have passed, and the same people still think the front wheels pull the van, w a VC coupled on dry pavement ... because they cannot comprehend what iDoug has explained

Join the club Jon! 11 months has passed since my post (just above yours). And nobody has posted any pics of front CVs corroborating what iDoug has written.

iDoug could be proven easily, and repeatedly, as hundreds of Syncro owners would notice that the drive side of the front CVs never wears. And they would also be perplexed by the "coast side" wearing instead, and would then CONCLUDE beyond a shadow of a doubt, that iDoug's treatise is proven correct.

Except I think it's pretty well proven to be the other way around...... just look at some front CVs.

Or maybe I got my axles mixed up, and NOBODY ever noticed all the coast-side wear over these past 30 years.... But it appears that Syncro front wheels PULL.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, etc. Reply with quote

From reading all the data and papers available then doing some math- Even a 0.5% rear tire slip at 65mph will cause an 18 rpm difference at the vc. Because the vc starts to stiffen at 5 rpm, it will not allow the vc to hold steady at an 18 rpm difference.

I haven’t done the math, but I don’t think micro adjustments to the steering wheel to keep a van straight on an interstate are enough to create a curve where the front wheels travel farther and reverse the rpm difference. Even if it was, you would still be between a left and right correction the majority of the time. I certainly don’t feel a push/pull transition driving in a straight line.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, etc. Reply with quote

Slider --- it isn't because we "can't comprehend" what I-Doug is saying, it's that we believe there are other dynamics/variables/whatever going on that contradict his premise. You yourself changed your mind several times on this and other points in this mother of all syncro threads, then have carried on in your own new thread and now back to this one.

If you or anyone has newer information or data then let's see it. Let's not get into a sociopathic 'I'm right' game -- let's try to find out the truths of what we have been discussing for a while now. Some of Volkswagen of Germany's own scientific literature, presented way back in this thread, did not completely support your/Doug's claims.

That and my own extensive syncro driving experiences plus many discussions with syncro friends hold me to my conclusions although I'm always open to new information/data. I don't care if that new information proves me right or wrong. I'd hope you would behave similarly.
87vanwes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, etc. Reply with quote

I am a long time lurker on this subject and am reluctant to get involved.
But o well

Having rebuilt two viscous couplings and owning three, I will say I don't buy the vw promotional video on the syncro VC heating the fluid causing the coupling to lock up. I'm on the fluid shearing band wagon.

My bench tests on these bizarre things have shown that if you rapidly apply torque to even an ice cold VC, it will lock up and take a second or two before it will allow you to rotate it again very slowly. When I say slow I mean slow.

The aggressive one I made you would almost be lucky to keep up with the second hand on the clock before it locks up.

My opinion on this is, if you air your tires up to manufactures specs on a westy or a loaded down tin top I would say the front wheels are at least bound in the pulling position because the rear wheels are rolling rpm wise much faster.I wouldn't say it's pulling the van, but I would say it's trying to.

If you air your tires to spec and measure from the center of your axle shafts to the ground the rear will be lower. IMO that difference even with a stock VC is enough to upset it and cause some lockup which I would say at a minimum causes the drive line to favor the torque to the front wheels.

I air my tires by axle shaft ends to the ground measurements. This changes on every trip we take. This practice keeps every thing rolling in harmony.

The only downside I have discovered to this practice is drive shaft vibration. The same thing some of us have run into with a decoupler. When we run in somewhat of a bind things tend to be smoother.

Well I guess I said it.

Cheers...

1987 westy syncro tdi conversion and restoration.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, etc. Reply with quote

87vanwes wrote:

I air my tires by axle shaft ends to the ground measurements. This changes on every trip we take. This practice keeps every thing rolling in harmony.

Cheers...

Could you explain this technique further please? Im always of the mindset of figuring the right pressure for my syncro before roadtrips
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, etc. Reply with quote

It SEEMS like axle height would make a difference but in reality, it does NOT.

Tire pressure does NOT change the tire's rolling diameter.
Axle height does NOT change the tire's rolling diameter.
The rolling diameter of a tire is set by the circumferential length of the tire carcass, which is very very permanent, steel-belt-consistent.

I googled tire pressure effect on diameter and Google led me back to Raoul Mitgong's post on page 18 (of THIS same thread). He links to a YouTube video test showing that tire pressure and axle height does NOT affect the distance. The guy deflates the tire and the sidewall visibly drops an inch - but it makes NO difference in rolling distance. The circumferential length of the tire carcass is the same regardless of the inflation. The circumference is really, really fricken consistent. Think of it as "steel-belt-consistent". It does NOT stretch or contract by air pressure.

OK can we get get back to the driveline discussion that took 45 pages and 3 years of wobbling all over?

----> Syncro Front wheels PULL. We need to put this to bed.

Last edited by Sodo on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:53 pm; edited 8 times in total
87vanwes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, etc. Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
87vanwes wrote:

Cheers...

Could you explain this technique further please? Im always of the mindset of figuring the right pressure for my syncro before roadtrips

On your syncro it it very easy to measure from the center pointe of your drive axels to the ground on level ground. Making these equal measurements will help all your wheels rotate at near or identical speeds especially with nitrogen. I don't go that far. I just want them close even with a decoupler.

I go near the max psi cold on the rear and air down the front to match the rotation speed of the rears.

I hope that helps and remember just my two cents.

1987 westy syncro tdi conversion and restoration.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, etc. Reply with quote

87vanwes wrote:
candyman wrote:
87vanwes wrote:

Cheers...

On your syncro it it very easy to measure from the center pointe of your drive axels to the ground on level ground. Making these equal measurements will help all your wheels rotate at near or identical speeds especially with nitrogen. I don't go that far. I just want them close even with a decoupler.

I go near the max psi cold on the rear and air down the front to match the rotation speed of the rears.

I hope that helps and remember just my two cents.

Thanks, clever. I never thought of doing it this way. Add this to my tool box Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, etc. Reply with quote

haha OK maybe it WAS put to bed. Wink It should be.

But don't spend a LOT of time adjusting axle heights. If all 4 tires are the same brand, same size they will have the same carcass circumference, and over a wide range of pressures, will have the same rolling distance. Even with varying axle heights they still roll the length of the steel-belted carcass.

Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Chat: VC's, solid shafts, decouplers, AWD/4WD, etc. Reply with quote

Lets see if we can agree on the following 6 statements of Fact, not opinion.

1. With a Solid shaft coupled, the front and rear wheels always spin at the same RPM.

2. In a curve the front wheels of a 2wd Van (or decoupled syncro) always spin at a higher RPM than the rear wheels, because the pavement distance of the front wheel arc is longer than the pavement distance the rear wheels travel.

3. When a VC is in the hard condition, the front wheels can not spin faster than the rear wheels, and in a curve the RPM of the front wheels is going to cover less distance than the arc over the ground. Therefore the front wheels are resisting the force of the road, that is trying to make the front wheels spin at a higher RPM than the rear wheels. This is the same with a solid shaft as with a VC that is not in slip mode.

4. When a VC is in slip condition, or decoupled, the front wheels can be spun by the road at a higher RPM than the rear wheels are spun by the motor. Therefore the front wheels can not be pulling the van forward, while the VC is slipping, or decoupled.

5. A syncro has no planetary differential with separate front and rear wheel outputs.

6. A planetary center differential is capable of powering the front wheels faster than the rear wheels in a curve.

So, how can syncro front wheels power the van in a curve on dry pavement?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 45 of 47

Jump to: