Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mefro 16" steelie (VC) and Yoko Geolandar combo
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orphama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Mefro 16" steelie (VC) and Yoko Geolandar combo Reply with quote

Looking to get confirmation on this wheel/tire upgrade combo I'm looking into.

Some preliminary info on the Van:
1987 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper 2WD
Stock 2.1L engine
Stock wheels LT 185 R14 (presented as seen)
Stock shocks/springs/bushings/brakes/all that good stuff

Pretty definite that I am going with the Mefro 16" rims from Van Cafe, but now am having trouble deciding between the General Grabber AT2 215/65/R16 tires, or the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 215/60/R16.
***Looking for tips solely on SIZING and FITTING, not capability***

The Revolutions per mile are:
Grabber: 772
Geolandar: 796

I've read on here (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0) that stock rpm is 820, and I want to stay relatively close to that, meaning the Geo's would give me about a 2% increase in total diameter whereas the Grabber's would give closer to 5-6%. Both of those seem acceptable to me, although I'm erring on the lower side so as to reduce collateral complications (i.e. rubbing, turning, curbs, stress on springs, shocks, bushings, etc).

I'm looking here for tips preferably from experience with choosing either these specific tires, or other critiques and info on the process of upgrading stock 14"s to steelie 16"s on a stock 2WD vanagon that I haven't (or have forgotten to) mentioned.

The wheels/tires will be the first stage of upgrading nearly everything suspension-wise on the van. Im aware of poly bushings and new ball joints being necessary at some point but is there anything that is a near MUST DO, when upgrading the wheels to 16"??

Look forward to replies ..

Orphama
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mefro 16" steelie (VC) and Yoko Geolandar combo Reply with quote

Here's my favorite tire size calculator

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=215-60r16-215-65r16

The SA wheels are nice. I chose the 15x7 for my Syncro because I wanted more sidewall for off road, but if I had a 2wd, I would have bought the 16's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mefro 16" steelie (VC) and Yoko Geolandar combo Reply with quote

Regarding 15 vs 16 you may want to consider more sidewall for those times when you air down your tires off road to gain additional shock absorption. I think there is also a point about getting more traction with having some additional sidewall to allow the tire to flex or wrap around obstacles. I like air down on hard pack gravel or rocky roads. Sometimes those roads can vibrate you to death and dumping air can really help. If you dump air with a 16" wheel you lose a bit of margin between the hard stuff and your rim. If your going to stay on the pavement then less sidewall seems to be the way to travel.

If I had a crystal ball that worked I'd look at it to figure out if there will more more 15" or 16" tire options down the road. That could be another consideration if you plan to keep your rig for awhile.
Orphama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mefro 16" steelie (VC) and Yoko Geolandar combo Reply with quote

SSWesty, can you explain a little about the sidewall thing? It's apparent that there is a difference from 15" to 16" — but how much? (and how is that difference quantified? i.e. mm, in., psi wiggle room.. ?)
The only air-down situation I can foresee for myself would be for driving on sand and potential beach camping, but even that will be minimal (fianceé insists the ocean will take us away). Also, I do not yet even have the means to air-down or air back up.

That being said, I'm not necessarily going to be 'staying on the pavement' either (hence the tires listed)... forest service roads, some mild-medium gravel roads, etc, nothing crazy. I'd say 'Light off-roading'. No technical climbs or prerunner-type driving (yet).

As far as tire availability, I have definitely seen lots of folks on here prophesy the 15"s will be harder to find in the future, so I am going with that.

More pointedly, though, I would like some opinion on the specific tires listed above . . . Hopefully that comes with more posters.
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mefro 16" steelie (VC) and Yoko Geolandar combo Reply with quote

As for the sidewall thing if you drive down a hard pack gravel road that is packed with roundish river rock it can rattle your teeth if you are aired up to 40+psi. If you drop pressure to 25psi your teeth will rattle less. The tires provide more cushion. If the tire heights are equal then the difference between a 15 and 16 is 1/2" of sidewall between the ground and rim. Given your described usage the 16s are probably best and I have also heard thinking that 16s are the new 15s. Even if you do bend a rim smacking a rock or hole it's no big deal you just get another rim. Consider it the price of adventure and big deal if it happens once every 10 years. Now if you planned on banging around Moab and the White Rim trail all the time then you may what to chase down the extra 1/2" of sidewall and run 15s.

I have factory 14" alloys with grabbers but the prior AT version. The tires spec out around 772 revs per mile. My wbx has a few mild performance improvements and I would be hesitate to run a taller tire.

As for airing up I don't have anything special, just a basic harbor freight compressor. https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-100-psi-high-volume-air-compressor-69284.html

Maybe someone else can chime in on your specific tire combo.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mefro 16" steelie (VC) and Yoko Geolandar combo Reply with quote

Orphama wrote:

That being said, I'm not necessarily going to be 'staying on the pavement' either (hence the tires listed)... forest service roads, some mild-medium gravel roads, etc, nothing crazy. I'd say 'Light off-roading'. No technical climbs or prerunner-type driving (yet).

As far as tire availability, I have definitely seen lots of folks on here prophesy the 15"s will be harder to find in the future, so I am going with that.

More pointedly, though, I would like some opinion on the specific tires listed above . . . Hopefully that comes with more posters.

27" probably won't rub on an 87 Westy but it depends on the offset and tire width too. I had 26.5" tires on a 90 Camper and it rubbed on deep compression. But I think the 90 was a big lower than 87 campers. Moog springs up front and spacers in the rear is an easy fix and gives nice handling for $60 so I would get what tire you want and just see. It is only touches on deep compression while turning or hitting a driveway curve as you turn and won't happen if you slow down.

The 16" tires that aren't going away are all low profile car tires. All the specialty tires in small sizes are disappearing. And there are fewer choices in 15" or 16" marketed to trucks with an all terrain type tread. You can get some asian brands online and probably always will be able to. The 16" tire in a 27" or smaller diameter holds less air than a 15" tire under 27" so the standard load ratings go down as you go up to 16". But there are lot of 215/60-16" options if you like some of the better car tires.

The 16" Geolander you mention is a 95 (1521 lb-derated to 1380 lb on a van) tire while the 15" Grabber is a 97 or 98 rated tire. Technically 95 is below spec. Personally I like the option to get a C load or higher standard load tire , like 98 but it is easier to find something for a syncro.

There are still a couple good options in 14" and probably always will be. Grabber makes a 27 x 8.5 so you could do that and skip the bigger wheels this time around. Firestone Destination makes a 205/75-15 as does Grabber. And Geolander makes a 205/70-15 and 215/70-15 with 96 and 98 load ratings. OTOH, the smallest tire BFG makes in the KO2 in a 27" 215/65-16" tire. That is a decent size for 16" rims as there are still a few All Terrain type tires available in that size.

If it was me I would look at 14" tire options first and then 15" and then 16". But you can find something that will work whatever you do.
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mefro 16" steelie (VC) and Yoko Geolandar combo Reply with quote

I have an 87 2wd westy and I am running the GoWesty black steel wheels with the Geolanders 215/65 R16 I really like the set up, no issues with anything
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Orphama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mefro 16" steelie (VC) and Yoko Geolandar combo Reply with quote

Been away from service sorry for ghosting the post.

Sick setup mtnride Cool this is looking like what I will be going with, except probably the mefro for rims. Could go either way depending on GW availability. I’m actually going to be in Los Osos in the coming weeks so I might just drop by their spot and ask.

I hear you davevickery about sticking with 14s but I’ve heard they have issues (or are impossible) when adding big brakes, which I plan to do also. So the extra room with 16s are going to allow for that I think. Also I’m going to double check those load ratings, thanks for pointing out. May push me to the grabbers instead.
Orphama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Mefro 16" steelie (VC) and Yoko Geolandar combo Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Here's my favorite tire size calculator

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=215-60r16-215-65r16

The SA wheels are nice. I chose the 15x7 for my Syncro because I wanted more sidewall for off road, but if I had a 2wd, I would have bought the 16's.

Missed this but THANK YOU
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mefro 16" steelie (VC) and Yoko Geolandar combo Reply with quote

Orphama, I really wanted to go from 16s to 15s recently, but as mentioned offroad tire availability will become ever rarer.

I also think 27" is about the max height you want in a 2WD in lessening the risk of rubbing -- unless you've done something special for a very-stiff lift of at least 17" ride height. I considered 15s with a 27.7" tire but experience has shown that would be too tall; both for rubbing, and for gearing.

If BFG still made a 27x8.5, I'd have stayed at 14" for the sidewall flex mentioned for offroading. But if you do intend to do bigger brakes sometime, and you think offroading will be rare for you, there's no doubt 16" gets you a great and stable package on pavement. A 14" wheel with 27" tires, even if D-rated, hasn't the highway stability of a larger wheel.

I went with 16s again for my reasons above, but also as I wanted BFGs again AND a D-rated tire. Cs are not enough for these rigs when near GVWR, IMO.

This is a mod of compromise no matter what you do. Take your time in considering what factors you personally need most.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mefro 16" steelie (VC) and Yoko Geolandar combo Reply with quote

Yeah I'm not sure if the big brake kits will fit 15's...I'm eventually going to put 31x10.5x15 tires on mine (not for the meek $$ & syncro only). I don't think they will ever stop making that size...

Here's what 31's look like...

Last edited by tjet on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mefro 16" steelie (VC) and Yoko Geolandar combo Reply with quote

Running Mefros with Yoko Geolanders now.

As you noted very moderate increase in relative size, zero issues with acceleration although I am, ahem, SVX powered. I would suggest after your wheel/brake upgrade to consider T3 Technique’s sway bar/ end link and new bushings all around. Enjoy 🤙

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: