Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Machinist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
ehh, my Passenger side leaked until I tightened the end plug, took twice to get it fully leak -free-

Ugh.. Sad Do you know when you bought yours?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
The Machinist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

I just delivered a bunch of fuel rails to Van Cafe. I have switched to Permatex High Performance thread sealant. I also torqued the plugs to a higher setting after doing some more research on the subject of torque settings for aluminum NPT fittings.

This run was the best yet. Usually we have a few that fail leak testing the first time. We pull the plug out and chase the threads by hand and reseal them. This time all of the fuel rails passed the leak test the first time through.

Those two minor tweaks seem to have made a significant difference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

Aha! Progress. Idea
kiltedhiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

A week late for me. I bought fuel rails from Van Café and installed a week ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

kiltedhiker wrote:
A week late for me. I bought fuel rails from Van Café and installed a week ago.
You'll be fine, The most I had to do , to one rail only, was a light tightening of it. Drivers side was always fine. If there had more of these, I think we'd see more posting of it. Just check the end plug before you apply fuel pressure to the rail, then after that, keep an eye on ALL the new rubber hoses AND the Fuel Rails.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

The Machinist wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:
ehh, my Passenger side leaked until I tightened the end plug, took twice to get it fully leak -free-

Ugh.. Sad Do you know when you bought yours?
mmm, the earliest would have been late Sept 2018, and latest would have been November. Don't worry about it, it's fine now. Even new cars show up from the Factory with leaks of all kinds. And as I noted, the VC rails were SO MUCH better than the scary fuel rails that I had in the Vanagon when I first bought it.
Just about anything would have been an improvement.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

fuel rails from a 914 car are all metal, no pipe threads to leak. Other type IV and Type III injected cars may have simular fuel rails. Leaking fuel rails are unacceptable.

link...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

I use the type IV 914 rails in my wasser boxer vanagon.

Unfortunately Van cafe seems to have gone hill since they moved to colorado. Phone service recently was vague, like they guy didnt know about standard vanagon stuff, far cry from the experts at the old van cafe. Even their website had errors I caught, what happened? Phone service was so bad, I took my business elsewhere, too bad, they used to be great. Maybe they have a bad employee now Crying or Very sad It only takes one.

Update.... The company contacted me asking how to improve service, this a good sign, perhaps this was a one time problem I had. I suppose everyone has a bad day once and a while, errors happen They seems to want to improve customer service, So I will try them again.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022

Last edited by bluebus86 on Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

Hmmm...

I've ordered a ton of stuff since the transition, got great advice, and have had no issues.

I'd call Mike and discuss it with him. They lost two longtime employees this fall and one has to think replacements take some time.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

L jet beetle rails or T3 would work. Type 4/2/914 are WAY too wide of port spacing.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Machinist wrote:
Snort wrote:
Here is a side-by-side.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Interesting. These don't even look like they perform the same function, though. The black plastic rail has a larger volume chamber. Does the 2.1 run OK with the type 4 rails? It seems like they would mess with the fuel injection flow.

As far as the orientation of the ports, the outer angled ports would complicate machining considerably.

been running the 914 type rails in my vanagon for over a decade. Got a big bore 2.2 liter wasserboxer in there. No problems. Also run them in my 914, a 2.1 liter type IV. No flow problems.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
L jet beetle rails or T3 would work. Type 4/2/914 are WAY too wide of port spacing.

port spacing is not an issue, a rubber hose to the injector takes care of it. I think the injector spacing on the 914 motor is about the same as that of the wasserboxer.

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

why haven't these been 3D metal printed yet?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:

Too wide?

fits fine

The Machinist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
why haven't these been 3D metal printed yet?

3D metal printing is good for prototypes, but not so good for production. The machines that make good quality parts are very expensive and/or the process is slow.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
fits fine

if your definition of "fits fine" means: "looks like shit", then sure. i agree.

i've often thought that that late beetle fuel rails would fit like they were actually made for the van. but alas, i've never had even the slightest issue with my dangerous OG plastic ones in the nearly 100k i've put on my current van or any other van for that matter Rolling Eyes
The Machinist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

The Machinist wrote:

I have to ask, how much time do you have in those? Nice execution.
The Machinist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I have to ask, how much time do you have in those? Nice execution.

These are the same ones I have been making for years, but I have moved to welded plugs to get rid of the blue NPT plugs that were giving me problems.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

Ok, let me rephrase my question. How much do you sell them for then? I don't see them in the classifieds.
The Machinist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Metal Fuel rails.. GoWesty? VanCafe? Others? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Ok, let me rephrase my question. How much do you sell them for then? I don't see them in the classifieds.

These are the Van-Cafe fuel rails.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: