Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BBT - WABDR - Backroad WA adventure! 8/3-10/2015
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: BBT - WABDR - Backroad WA adventure! 8/3-10/2015 Reply with quote

Planning out a trip here....tossing around ideas for next summer.

thinking about a week long or so adventure from canada to oregon on some scenic Backroads via this trip here:
http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/WABDR

Thanks Sunnydog for that....Wink

Love to have syncros, westys of all years, splits, bays, even a baja bug or a thing show up. planning to camp in the hills every night if possible.

really want to get a good sized group of 5+ on this....

thinking mid august time frame or so? hot weather is a plus...

was done here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...highlight=

and was mentioned in here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598311

there are easy routes to take to allow all comers to enjoy a break from the difficult or to run two groups that meet up at the end....so not everyone needs to worry about bashing their expensive vans while i ruin my $150 dollar treasure. Wink

Any takers?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]

Last edited by Stuartzickefoose on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang Stu you don't waste any time do you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Dang Stu you don't waste any time do you?

Aint no body got time fo dat!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested Smile. But, we may wanna meet up near Ellensburg and just do section 2 and 1, if that's okay?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont see why not. Im thinkinh start in canada and go south, as itd be easier to limp home from portlnd then from canada....if i had to...Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a killer adventure. It will be cool to see it materialize, meet spots, camp locations and such. Oh, and I'm sure the pics will be awesome. With a wife and 1 1/2 year old I won't be able to get away for 2 weeks to make it. Sad. Oh well, I have 2 big road trip set up for next year and the CO meet up weekend, when we pick new dates. Have fun and Vdub on!
’65 Deluxe Build
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested, but wondering if the intention for an easy group would just be separating for the sections too difficult for 2WD, or literally two groups that would simply meet up days later at the end? I'd enjoy it more if we were together as much as possible but just on the one section or two the 2WDs could do the bypass and reconnect asap.

Failing that (if intention is for 4WD capable only), would I be able to get special dispensation from the Pope to show up in my Cruiser with a rooftop tent? With full lockers and a strap, I can gently pull folks through tougher areas like a sag wagon. I could tape over the badges, and even crawl under and pretend to tighten up a CV along the way.....
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: off road Reply with quote

I wanna go !!
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lookit this potentially regionally epic thread! Since I apparently prompted Stuart Bitchfoot into organizing this, I should probably help out.

If you go Canada to Oregon, you'll end up in my neck of the woods near the Columbia River. I offer to organize a welcome reception for the group at the end of the trail.

Right now I don't know what that would look like, because maybe it would be 3 or 4 vee-dubs around a campfire in my yard. But if you get a big team together and there's also a Portland welcome wagon rollout, then maybe it'll be 20 vehicles in a campground somewhere in the Columbia Gorge.

In any case, my hope is to offer everyone a last camping overnight at the end of the trail, (and maybe a parts shuttle from Portland) then everyone can disperse the next day and return to wherever they started.

How 'bout them apples?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Them apples look tasty Sunnydog Wink
Count me in, unless I'm on a beach in some exotic country Cool
Probably would meet up in the middle and work down to Portland. But who knows I might just suck it up and do the whole loop.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking one larger group, come to a bypass, and all but one bay turns toward the easy route, and instead follows the syncros and whatever other 4x4 vehicles over the hard challenge parts and comes out with the best pics and stories to tell the other bays when we meet up shortly after....asap. Wink

Im open to whoever wants to go on this trip, but im really hoping for some sweet VW pics for the samba afterwards..Wink

Alternate ending:
Single bay gets pulled out of the woods by a syncro due to massive catastrophic axle failure....

Laughing

End goal is to include everyone, the simple back roads scenic bus who is okay with dirt, but doesnt want to hurt their bus (notchboy, lynn, denmom etc) and the hardcore get through any challenge (dugfresh) dont care what breaks, ill fix it later (foosed-up, the destroyer, stuart, me) and the syncros who want to test the limit and capability of their vanagons.

Now who wants to go?

Vote: south to north, or north to south?

Hint, better mpg north to south since its all downhill,....right? Razz

206-841-7324
[email protected]
jbcuny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Olympic peninsula Reply with quote

Let me know when you are coming our way. Would like to hook up for some of the drive. Not into heat thank you.
John Laughing
dugfresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds cool. I'll have to look up the route once I'm back home. I'll have to look up dates.. Probably can't do a whole week but who knows at this point.

**EDIT** Damn... that looks awesome.. I've done a lot of these routes, just in small sections in my ex's Hyundai Elantra, while geocaching and .. which they mention in the WABDR, probably will find my signiature in the log book.

Speaking of destroyed bus parts and offroad... have you replaced your cv's yet? Spares sorted out?

Last edited by dugfresh on Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Failing that (if intention is for 4WD capable only), would I be able to get special dispensation from the Pope to show up in my Cruiser with a rooftop tent? With full lockers and a strap, I can gently pull folks through tougher areas like a sag wagon. I could tape over the badges, and even crawl under and pretend to tighten up a CV along the way.....

Gee Doug -- if you can provide sag-wagen repair services for my syncro, count me in (and your Cruiser too) on the gnarly stuff !! Wink
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, wasn't thinking of you, Bob. I may need you to pull MY ass out. So don't break anything!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Lynn Gleason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart, et al,

After the syncro group did the toughest section (Ellensburg to St. Helens), a few years back, I got a chance to talk to some of the participants: (Kirk Meeks [NorthWesty], Daryl {AA Transaxle}, and Joe Marshall [Das Mule/ Mule Outfitters], and they ALL said that a Bay with an LSD could do it.
I might even be able to talk Joe & Dana (Das Mule) into coming with us, if we give then some lead time (their store is doing REALLY well--they just expanded into the suite next door, and opened a installation/custom fabrication shop across the street, not to mention their mail order business, so they`re pretty busy!!!)
Once we get into the North Cascades section, maybe a side trip/overnight stay, at Hart`s Pass would be in order.

What say you all?
sonofamitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like it would be a kick ass trip. The only problem I face is august is "back to college" month. The timing might not be the best for me.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568454&highlight=
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitch, lets plan to make it work for you.

Lynn, i emailed joe and dana a direct link, so they should see this.

Harts pass is another adventure. Lets plan that trip in may or june timeframe....deal? I wanna do that route youve told me a few times already. Wink

Promise ill need a tow at some point, i usually do. Wink and rovers are great bus buddies....anyone else see the bbt? Two rovers and three splits...good group!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Lynn Gleason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu,
Hart`s Pass (and Slate Peak) are still snowed in, in May & June (>7,000'). Typically, it`s open from late July to the first snows of the season ~ late Oct.

We could take in Chelan Butte (and all that the town of Chelan has to offer), as a rest/repair/shower/etc. point, in prep for the North Cascades portion of the trip. It`s even on the route!

Thoughts?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: