Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The house GFI outlet has an entirely different purpose than the circuit breaker does. You need both, not just a GFI. The GFI does not protect against a circuit overload. Wires can overheat and catch fire from too much current but the GFI won't care. That is not its job.

Mark

davevickery wrote:

There are differences in circuit beakers for different years. What I'm planning to do is use a regular house gfci outlet with the little reset button built into the outlet and getting rid of the other.[/img]
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The house GFI outlet has an entirely different purpose than the circuit breaker does. You need both, not just a GFI. The GFI does not protect against a circuit overload. Wires can overheat and catch fire from too much current but the GFI won't care. That is not its job.
Mark

Thanks Mark, maybe I'll put a resettable fuse on the wire coming into the gfci outlet to cover both issues.
motochadzi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Webasto gas furnace project in Oregon. Need advice! Reply with quote

Hello, I'm very interested in doing a webasto gas furnace in my syncro. The propane tank was removed a few years ago, as it was rusty. I don't have the extra time to learn how to do the this type of project installation myself. How would you all suggest that I go about finding someone in Oregon who would do a good job on the project, at a reasonable cost? I'm in Portland, but could drop it off in other places. I often travel to Southern Oregon, and a few times a year I go to Bend.

The reason why I'd like to do a gas furnace rather than propane is that I like the idea of connecting to the gas tank, and not having to worry about an additional tank. I currently have my stove set up to run off of the small "green" propane tanks, which I've enjoyed, as it is small, and I can disconnect, and never worry about it.

How much would you estimate a project like to this cost? Also, there are places like "Camping World" and RV service places; would you think they would be a good place to do one of these projects, since they deal with RV's, and their heaters?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed mine a couple of months ago.. Ran me about $1300 after I bought the necessities, fuel tee, webasto vents, ducting, p-clips, exhaust and intake muffler.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Webasto gas furnace project in Oregon. Need advice! Reply with quote

motochadzi wrote:
How much would you estimate a project like to this cost? Also, there are places like "Camping World" and RV service places; would you think they would be a good place to do one of these projects, since they deal with RV's, and their heaters?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

I'll send you order links of all of the items I purchased for my install via PM. That might help you... I know I wish had the links before I ordered my setup. lol.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abel, Can you post the links here for everyone's benefit? Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Abel, Can you post the links here for everyone's benefit? Very Happy

Will do... Just didn't want to step on the OP's original toes. hehe

Webasto Gasoline Airtop 2000
This is from overseas... Fast shipping, I got mine in 2 days. I know a friend that bought one here in US from a Webasto dealer, they matched the ebay price for him. Normally I've seen these for like $1,600 here in the US. ouch.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-WEBASTO-AIR-TOP-2000-S...mp;vxp=mtr

1/4"x1/2"x1/2" Plastic Fuel Line Tee:
Part Number 62104. The stock Tee will not fit the existing Vanagon fuel line from the fuel tank. This item needs to be ordered ASAP or else you can't complete the mechanical install.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22808&partnumber=62104#62104

Most of these items are all available from Bowers in the UK. They do ship quickly... Couldn't find any similar vendors in the US.

Webasto Exhaust muffler:
Should come with 2 heavy duty clamps
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBERSPACHER-WEBASTO-HEATER...4acef543c6

SmarTemp Thermostat:
Not necessary, possible overkill. I'm still trying to determine if mine is worth it. You can use the stock knob controller that comes with the heater.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEBASTO-smartemp-smart-tem...35d258e8de

22mm P-Clip:
Order 2-3 of these heavy clips, they will help you mount your exhaust pipe to the van. Pipe gets very hot, rubber line clamps not recommended.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBERSPACHER-WEBASTO-HEATER...338a153f96

Short Radius Elbow:
Since I' have my heater in a tight area I needed this very tight, short radius elbow. May not be necessary for your install.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/webasto-airtop-2000-st-hea...3389d24ef9

60mm Ducting & 4 Clamps:
The heater does not come with the larger 60mm ducting to attach the heater so you can route to your vents.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/eberspacher-webasto-propex...35d0eca1f7

1m Exhaust Pipe:
Once you add the exhaust muffler, You can add an additional section of exhaust pipe to route to a safe vent area. I did this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/eberspacher-webasto-propex...4acf272c04

Exhaust Hose End Cap:
This is just to make the exhaust tip nice and finished. hides the burrs from the metal so i doesn't cut or snag on something.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231416395913?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

22mm Intake Silencer:
Not sure if this is necessary, Some say it doesn't make a big deal but I ordered it and installed it anyways.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Webasto-Eberspacher-air-in...mp;vxp=mtr

Webasto Vents:
I liked these the best. Some vents have foldable louvers/flaps which I did not like just in case they got accidentally closed in the middle of the night trapping heat or starving the heater for return air. These vents are fixed and will not close accidentally. Also the vent themselves can rotate to direct the heat where you like.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321300237369?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Webasto Vent Backing Nut:
These screw onto the back of the Webasto vent listed above. This just makes the vent fixed to the cabinet and then the 60mm ducting slides over and clamps onto the part.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221355970531?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Amico 26mm Cutting Hole Saw
This is used to drill holes through the floor for the intake and exhaust lines.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amico-26mm-Cutting-Dia-3-F...OU:US:1120

New Hanson 68750 Drill Bit 7.5mm
This is used to drill holes for the mounting bolts and fuel line nipple.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201178548526?item=20117854...mp;vxp=mtr

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I mounted mine behind the passenger seat. We never swivel that seat so I built a cabinet to house a marine toilet for the lady and to provide more storage. I really like having the heater out in the open so the heat doesnt get trapped under the lower bed/under the overhanging covers on the lower bed.

This box is a usable mock up. I plan to make a few changes to the design and then have it re-cut via a cnc shop. Then I'll laminate it and ad grey westfalia trim so the cabinet resembles the stock grey westy interior.

Here's a model of the finished product. The door openings will utilize the same door thats used on the flat cabinets of a stock westy. I have 3 vents in the box, 2 on the front face, 1 of those is the Hot air outlet from the heater. The other one is just to vent the closed up area where the heater itself is housed, just to let that breathe a bit. The 3rd vent is on the aisle side of the cabinet. That's the Air inlet for the heater. You don't want the Hot air output and Air inlet too close together. not as efficient.

DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncroserge wrote:

front view..

Do you have a before picture of the front?
I'm not seeing how you made such a nice result fitting the round vent from the heater to the previous location of the rectangular electrical box?
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

I've heard replacement parts are available for Espar but not Webasto...can anyone substantiate this claim? I'm tired of my Propex not working correctly in sub zero temps. Sad
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

I was able to get parts for my Espar from either online vendors or at the local shop which services mostly semi-trucks. both experiences were good.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

@vanis13

I'm about to do my Espar install and I love this spot. Since I have 2 batteries on the passenger side of my bench my plan is to remove the original rear heater and give myself some room again.

How did you go about cleaning up the old hole overtop your vent? I've considered making a custom vent that's rectangular and simply cutting out a larger hole.

Thanks!
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

Dyldebus,
Right after I installed my Espar, my front heater core sprung a leak. Front cores are NLA (other options luckily) and it is a bear to remove the dash and everything else to replace that core. I am glad my stock rear heater was still back there. I had considered removing it during this install. If I had, I would have to pull over every time I wanted to adjust the heat at the rear control panel.

By the way, do you know a guy named Brett H. who also owns a Westy in your town?

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

Thanks Raoul, maybe I can just wire up a second controller for the Espar up front. So far no systems have failed on my van, *knock on wood*. Do you have any problems running your Espar while driving?

I don't know Brett but there are a few dozen Westy's in Encinitas. In fact, there is a very nice GoWesty loaded Westy 2 streets down from me and another very nice Syncro Westy in Cardiff. Both inspired me to get one.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

I use my espar at times when driving w/o issue. its actually designed for it

I love my oem rear heater and use it more than the front. i would not remove it

I haven't yet covered the extra opening. the plan is to overlay with laminate or sheet metal. a sticker would even work.

raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

I think I saw in one of the manuals a remote was an option. No issues with driving it while running, but only did it once and for only about 20 miles.

One change I am going to make on my install: I am going to plumb the exhaust to the driver's side. When the slider opens, exhaust sometimes gets in the van. Stinky and easy to fix so why not.

I finally did the 10 to 11 jumper wire and I can report that it is now working like it is in ACC key position. I put a switch in so I can change it back and forth from 120 minute mode to full time mode but didn't have any extra wire at my shop. So the switch just looks cool for the moment.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

Installed mine in the "propex" location. Love it so far. Still need to tidy up the wiring and make a small cover. I originally cleanly plumbed it into the stock rear output but the stock grate will not tolerate the heat output and it started to sag.

[/img]

Edit: Now that it's fall I have some more real world experience. Find the fuel pump tick a little bit annoying but tolerable, will try some neoprene around it. Last night top up (og tent), stock curtains all closed without extra insulation, vents all closed with ~23deg low heater cycled between low and a rare medium to keep the van at ~65 deg main cabin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom-Q
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

Owokie, Looks clean! Did you have the B1 or the B4? How are you finding it to be now that it's season 2? Sounds like it's more than adequate heat.

I'm hoping to be installing the B1 here in my now-insulated Split in the next few weeks.

owokie wrote:
Installed mine in the "propex" location. Love it so far. Still need to tidy up the wiring and make a small cover. I originally cleanly plumbed it into the stock rear output but the stock grate will not tolerate the heat output and it started to sag.

........pictures removed for quote.......

Edit: Now that it's fall I have some more real world experience. Find the fuel pump tick a little bit annoying but tolerable, will try some neoprene around it. Last night top up (og tent), stock curtains all closed without extra insulation, vents all closed with ~23deg low heater cycled between low and a rare medium to keep the van at ~65 deg main cabin.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

Just a quick shout out to the awesome Espar Tech support. 800-387-4800

Seeing this thread rekindle reminded me I wanted to call them on some custom ideas I had. Very helpful, knowledgeable, and kind. gave me few ideas how to solve from buying new tech to using what I had to accomplish what I had in mind. Thumbs up.

I'm still happy with my system.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
Find the fuel pump tick a little bit annoying but tolerable, will try some neoprene around it.

yeah, same on fuel pump noise, not bad but disturbs the still quiet of a winter's night. I was wondering if instead of neoprene if rubber/isolating mounts on the fuel pump mounting points or some other suspension of the pump would be more effective. On the plus side, the tick of the fuel pump is nice to hear that the unit is working Smile

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

Wow. Such a clean install. I might end up going this route instead of a propane propex.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: