Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

owokie wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Consider moving it right in front to save your jack point (also this shows that I have to fix the PITA Photobucket links from teh earlier post.)

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Consider moving it right in front to save your jack point (also this shows that I have to fix the PITA Photobucket links from teh earlier post.)

Ah, someone else mentioned that too. I don't own or use the stock jack, so that's a non-issue for me. If I do move it, it will be to the rear as the longer exhaust run tends to quiet it even further.

Tom-Q wrote:
Owokie, Looks clean! Did you have the B1 or the B4? How are you finding it to be now that it's season 2? Sounds like it's more than adequate heat.

I'm hoping to be installing the B1 here in my now-insulated Split in the next few weeks.

I have the B4 and love it, though it is imperfect. We're 7 months into our "gap year" with most of that in the van. The heater has been indispensable on numerous occasions, particularly chilly mornings in Washington/OR/N CA. Again, I think the B4 is slight overkill, particularly in marginal temps, but the B1 is much slower to warm the cabin on a chilly morning/evening, which is primarily what we use it for. Wish they'd make a B2. Oh well...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

use report....two weeks over the past month at 10k-ish feet in down to -10deg...nice and toasty inside!!! and can't even tell the gas it uses, though I do budget on the 1 gal/night which is 10 hours at 0.1 gal/hr on high, though it rarely runs on high. Less than $3/night heat, I like it!

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

good info here
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

Quote:
use report....two weeks over the past month at 10k-ish feet in down to -10deg...nice and toasty inside!!! and can't even tell the gas it uses, though I do budget on the 1 gal/night which is 10 hours at 0.1 gal/hr on high, though it rarely runs on high. Less than $3/night heat, I like it!

Vanis13- super psyched to hear that you are using the heater at those altitudes. I want to install one but thought the gas heaters do not work well above 5000' feet. I like the idea of one fuel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

One fuel type is ideal for sure. Vanis B4 heater is no joke! Thanks for sharing the pics for sure of your 4k heater install.

A kit is $1,399.99 on heatso right now - compared to a similarly powered 4k Chinese Diesel Heater at $120.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

No Vanagon needs more than a 2kw heater. The Webasto Airtop 2000 gasoline version is $640 from multiple sources on eBay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

Yes the Webasto air top 2000 is really nice for 2k power. I was tempted to get the digital thermostat kit for $730

Back to OP's B4 4k heater thread. I'm curious how much maintenance you have done over the years. Fuel pump, etc. Also the associated noise.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Yes the Webasto air top 2000 is really nice for 2k power. I was tempted to get the digital thermostat kit for $730

Back to OP's B4 4k heater thread. I'm curious how much maintenance you have done over the years. Fuel pump, etc. Also the associated noise.

No maintenance at all. the closest thing to an issue is every so often it throws an overheat code if I have that cabinet packed, I clear it. Have taken to leaving the cabinet door open or off. My thermostat shows codes so that is nice.

The Espar is REALLY good on Altitude compensation. to like 15k? ft.

I like the 4k for a fast warm up.

The Webasto (Last time I looked) alt compensated only to 7k?.

If I had to do it over, I'd do the Chinese heater. The price difference is too big. at that price they are disposable. The dual fuel (at that price) is not an issue.

I still like this install location. It is very space efficient I DEFINITELY would not put it under the bench as I use that space. The alt location (if I could figure it out) would be into the B pillar or something so it distributes through that plenum into the upper side vents. Possibly some of the under mount locations could be plumbed that way.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

I've got an Espar D2 in my '78 Bus. It's installed under the Bus with heat going to both the vents in between the front seats, and the vent at the back seat. I really like it and am very happy overall with the install. I've thought about ways to run some heat up to the pop top area when it's open but that is it.

As far as controlling it from the front:

I have a digital controller installed on the cabinet by the bed for easy adjustment while sleeping.

In the process of installing the heater, I found out there is a wire in the harness that tells the heater to switch on and off by providing or removing 12v. (I am almost certain that it is a yellow wire.)

So I ran a connector from this wire up front, and now use the defrost switch to turn it on when driving. It will run and maintain whatever temp the digital controller is set at, even though the digital controller is reading "heater off."

One day I will probably swap the switch with an old Eberspacher swich I have sitting around, just because I think it would be neat to control it with the old-school heater style switch.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

Vanis, I'm practically copying your setup with a similarly sized chinese diesel heater.

Why did you cut out a square hole instead of doing individual holes like this below.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

I don't remember exactly. If I would try to remember the reasons it would be so the pipes and hoses were well placed on the fittings as the corrugated floor and cabinet thickness would only leave stubs to attach to.

It may also have been to allow for maneuvering room to attach the rear ducting.

Iirc, I attached the ducting and then used the self tapping hex-head screws to attach the mounting plate to the floor

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Espar B4 gas heater install – Webasto Propex alternative Reply with quote

Amazing deal on a 2019 used b4 heater for $420 shipped on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eberspacher-Airtronic-Air...4064091737
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: