Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

091 nose cone refresh
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: 091 nose cone refresh Reply with quote

I'm doing a refresh on the nose cone parts in my 091 tranny; got a new seal for the shift rod shaft, the metal hockey stick donut bushing, bearing retainer plate (all from Long Enterprises) and had the machine shop resurface the flange on the nose cone.

My question is, the donut bushing is really a tight fit on the end of the hockey stick shaft. How tight/loose should that be? The old plastic one was super loose. I'm guessing it needs free movement and a light sanding of the shaft will be needed to allow for that?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
It should be a snug fit with a little gear lube on the shaft and bushing. If it is dry it will be difficult to slide.
You need to file smooth where the grub screw locates on the hockey stick and put some box or clear tape over this area so you do not nick the seal.
If you did not do this. Take a magnifying glass and inspect the seal carefully.
Good Luck
Tcash
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Hi
It should be a snug fit with a little gear lube on the shaft and bushing. If it is dry it will be difficult to slide.Tcash

It was extremely snug to begin with dry; to the point of having to force it on (which I didn't do). After light sanding with fine sand paper it slides snug with gear oil on both the shaft and bushing.

Tcash wrote:
You need to file smooth where the grub screw locates on the hockey stick and put some box or clear tape over this area so you do not nick the seal.
If you did not do this. Take a magnifying glass and inspect the seal carefully.Tcash

Is this done to prevent any burrs from damaging the seal when the shaft moves in and out? If yes, I do not have the parts assembled at this point so I can make sure the shaft is nice and smooth prior to buttoning up.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
If you did not do this. Take a magnifying glass and inspect the seal carefully.Tcash

Is this done to prevent any burrs from damaging the seal when the shaft moves in and out? If yes, I do not have the parts assembled at this point so I can make sure the shaft is nice and smooth prior to buttoning up.[/quote]

This is done to keep from damaging the seal when installing it. After the seal is installed you remove the tape.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 091 nose cone refresh Reply with quote

THall wrote:
I'm doing a refresh on the nose cone parts in my 091 tranny; got a new seal for the shift rod shaft, the metal hockey stick donut bushing, bearing retainer plate (all from Long Enterprises) and had the machine shop resurface the flange on the nose cone.

My question is, the donut bushing is really a tight fit on the end of the hockey stick shaft. How tight/loose should that be? The old plastic one was super loose. I'm guessing it needs free movement and a light sanding of the shaft will be needed to allow for that?

After determining that you did not have a nick or bur on your shift rod where the shift ball goes, call Rick and tell him that the shift ball was a tight fit on your hockey stick. It *may* be a little error at the manufacturing end. I put a steel ball in the BobD, and it slid on without drama.
Colin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: