Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

This little gem was also in the 64.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wish the sticker was stuck down on all four corners, but it's still nice. The plastic doesnt seem brittle at all. The weather in minnesota was kind to it, and the hood has been closed for over 35 years so that helped.
The rearview mirror and sun visors were pretty nasty

but a little soap and water ...

and bam! almost like new

My mirror is black, so I may use the chrome one

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

I also grabbed a very nice speedo and bezel

and a fuel gauge

That's adhesive you see on the gauge bezel.There was tape on both sides of the dash for some reason

The stereo was also, there (knobs are being cleaned up and are soaking)

Unfortunately, The PO of my car cut the dash for an aftermarket radio. It's about 10mmm too tall now. sigh.
I got an ashtray since mine is completely gone.

and the rear one

It's pitted pretty badly.[/img]

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle

Last edited by slave1pilot on Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

my set of OG rims before they go out for widening

There was only one arm rest, I grabbed it anyway.

and after some soap and water

oh, and a turn signal lever.
mine was missing

wiper arms
These are bad off, but (again) mine were missing

Got a nice pair of Hella Taillights and housings.
Mine are snowflakes and will be sold off later

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

I've got a '62 Sunroof Bug and a '63 Sunroof Herbie. I don't think your car is a bad starting point (compared to both of mine, especially my Herbie).

The thing to do is build (or buy) a 1600cc single port, 12v with alternator, doghouse oil cooler shroud with thermostat and proper vanes, SVDA distributor, Solex 34 pict 3 carb, and oil bath air cleaner. That keeps it looking sorta stock-ish but durable and reliable. The rest of the car is really not bad. A passenger side floor pan is not a big deal and is easier to install than a half pan in my opinion. Changing out the tail light housings and lenses is easy enough, and you've got a 63 body with the holy grail Golde sunroof handle. If you don't want to shell out a ton od dough on an expensive paint job, distress that paint and make a junkyard Herbie (the degree of distressing to suit your taste). That would make it different from the other Herbies.

In my case, my '63 was an original L87 Pearl White Deluxe Sunroof Sedan that my Dad bought in 1966 (second owner). My parents brought me home from the hospital in that car when I was born (1968). It was our family car growing up. We begged our Dad to put Herbie decals on it, but he never did. In the early 80s after a couple of engine fails, my Dad parked it and it sat for 8+ years deteriorating. Then it was at another man's house for 9 years deteriorating more. We lost track of him and the car and I thought it was gone for good. Out of the blue he called my Dad, who called me, who drove several hours to retrieve his dream car.

I restored it as close to original appearance and still be practical as I could (original engine gone back when my Dad was driving it). That was 2001 when it was finished. Then in 05 when Fully Loaded came out, I Herbied it and realized my childhood dream. Yeah, I was in my late 30s driving Herbie and some people thought it was corny, but I didn't care...still don't. My car, my deal.

It's fun, it makes people smile (mainly me), and I now do volunteer work with it visiting sick and special needs children. That makes it all worth it.

If you saw what I started with, you wouldn't believe it was possible to save. It made your car look like a show car as it is. And I'm serious. Your car isn't a bad starting point at all really. I hope you get your Herbie on one way or another.

EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

Love it! But I'm another Herbie fan and Herbie replica owner.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

Idk why it doubled my post.

Last edited by EA812 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:

It's fun, it makes people smile (mainly me), and I now do volunteer work with it visiting sick and special needs children. That makes it all worth it.

That's a beautiful car. The history is even more beautiful

I also do charity work.
I dress up like Star Wars characters and go do the same kinda stuff you do.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

Reading through your thread, you had indicated last year you were going to sell this car and find another one, now it looks like you're acquiring parts but didn't specify that you were sticking with building this car. So are you keeping this one? What have you decided to do about the motor? I saw the video and the pictures, so I assume you're not going to be able to salvage much from that motor. Having completely rebuilt my 62 and 63 from the ground up, I'm interested in following your build.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
Reading through your thread, you had indicated last year you were going to sell this car and find another one, now it looks like you're acquiring parts but didn't specify that you were sticking with building this car. So are you keeping this one? What have you decided to do about the motor? I saw the video and the pictures, so I assume you're not going to be able to salvage much from that motor. Having completely rebuilt my 62 and 63 from the ground up, I'm interested in following your build.

I'm still not 100% sure if I'm moving forward with this one.
But I couldn't turn down free parts, and it did rekindle my desire to build this car.
The motor will be sent out for rebuilding soon, we will see where we stand then.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

From a sheet metal standpoint you look to be in good shape. I had to have new heat channels, floor pans, A and B pillar bottoms on both sides, inner fender well panels all the way around. If you're paying someone else to do the cutting and welding you're looking at $4k for parts and labor (using best quality pans and panels). If your car doesn't need all that, you're lucky. If it does, AND you need an engine, then I could see bailing. You could do a half pan but I would recommend against that. I have a new half pan I'd be glad to give you if you wanted it, but shipping may be more than it's worth.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
From a sheet metal standpoint you look to be in good shape. I had to have new heat channels, floor pans, A and B pillar bottoms on both sides, inner fender well panels all the way around. If you're paying someone else to do the cutting and welding you're looking at $4k for parts and labor (using best quality pans and panels). If your car doesn't need all that, you're lucky. If it does, AND you need an engine, then I could see bailing. You could do a half pan but I would recommend against that. I have a new half pan I'd be glad to give you if you wanted it, but shipping may be more than it's worth.

I ordered a wire welder from Harbor Freight today (yeah, I know it's crap) and I'm gonna teach myself how to weld with it. If I get the hang of it, then I'll upgrade.If not, I'll farm it out.

Anyway...
The B Pillars, heater channels, and fender wells all look pretty sound.
The A pillars , however, will need a little bit of work.
Drivers side is the worst.

The passenger side is better, but not perfect

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West has some good A pillar lower sections at a reasonable price.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111805352E

aircooled.net has some that look pretty good also, and they seem to wrap around the inside a little more.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Front-Hinge-Pillar-Assembly-Left-Lower-9-x-8-p/111-805-351e-9510171.htm

I just had the A and B pillars both done on my 62 (as well as heater channels and inside fender well patches in 3 corners, an both full pans). If this is the worst of your sheet metal needs, you're ahead of the game. I would recommend welding a piece of tubing for a support brace between the two pillars above where you would be working just to keep things square.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

as far as I can tell, that's the worst of it.

I swapped out some parts on the dash with the scavenged stuff.
It's looking pretty good (I know the turn signal lever is on the wrong side, I already fixed that after the pic)

and in the beginning.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

The link below will help you learn to weld with your new machine. I tried the "teach myself" method for welding. It didn't go well. I was blowing holes in my test pieces and could not get penetration. I found this article and made a huge improvement in the quality of the welds. The article is geared toward the beginner welder. You will find that tuning your machine based on this article will help you more than anything else. Experienced welders will find faults in the text. But from a beginner stand point, you can't get better advice.
http://www.autobodystore.com/new_page_11.shtml
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

Thanks for the link.
I'll look it over .
I have people that weld in my social circle, but can't rely on people to come to my house and do stuff right when I get the urge to have it done LOL
Besides, any VW guy better learn how to weld.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

I ordered a portable abrasive blaster today.
It's also a Harbor freight, but it was on sale.
once it gets here, I'll start blasting the interior.
I got a rash and some welts from something in the old interior when I was putting those seats in.
so, time to strip it out.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

I spent a little time yesterday attacking the holes that had been filled in on the dash and also the shaved turn signals on the front.
The wiper knob had been filled and smoothed over.

The grab handle had also been removed.

unfortunately , the PO actually did a good job doing this and welded up the holes prior to adding the body filler. That means more work for me.

Same story on the fender

I say "fender", because the right front has no holes whatsoever for the turn signal. So, it's a repop fender I assume. I'll need a template for the correct hole positions. Unless I locate 2 new fenders.
The left front had Bondo filler in the entire area I sanded clear.It was only about 5mm thick at the highest, so not bad I guess.

also, there is considerable Filler on the left front quarter and the inside shows signs of body work.

It's done very well on the outside, so I'm not sure how much I'm going to get into on that corner.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

While I was out there, I also removed the tank to get a good look at the front suspension etc.

Do you guys see what I see?
Does the front beam look bent on the Left (Driver side)?
It looks like it to me.
What really sucks is I couldnt bring the front beam from the donor car in Minnesota with me.

I didn't have the space, so I had to leave it in the snow.
Also, the steering box has a huge amount of play in it.
Again, the donor part is sitting in the snow 2,000 miles away.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

Quote:
Does the front beam look bent on the Left (Driver side)?
It looks like it to me.

Unfortunately for your work plan, it also looks bent to me. Better to find this and cure it now than when the car is all back together.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

It was a ball joint beam anyway. Wouldn't of worked.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 19

Jump to: