Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
I'd just cut and splice the radio opening. Take measurements off the red dash and redrill the holes that had been filled on your car.

I agree. No point in cutting out the rest of the dash if it is good.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

ok
The reason I was asking is because the filled-in holes have been welded from the back and might be a pain to drill out. (not sure if the welded section would be easier)
I agree that a smaller patch would be better than welding a larger piece

I guess I could try drilling out the holes and if I have issues then i still have a donor piece

Thanks for the input

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

Good plan, try to grind away their patch and drill the hole back, if it's not savable then graft in a piece from the donor.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

Weather is beautiful here in SoCal today, so I finished hangin the doors on Ol’ Herb
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

Looking good!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

I picked up a 1600 dual port today . It's an AE coded dual relief case, so that's a very good starting point
I'll tear it down a little and check it out
I wont be splitting the case though

The seller said it was used for industrial use, which would help explain the j tubes and weird exhaust .
I'm guessing it ran a pump of some kind

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

My first thought when I saw the exhaust was it had been in a bus. Anywho, please be sure to rotate the generator ninety degrees clockwise and connect the vacuum advance to the correct port on the side of the carb when you put things back together.

Making good progress. Cool
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

Thanks , I hadnt Thought about a bus
Maybe it was, I have no idea
And don't worry about the generator not being clocked right , it'll get replaced with the alternator from the 2180

In fact, most of the parts placed on as a mock-up and not mounted fully .
I've got a little time before I try and fire it anyway , I still need fuel lines and a new fuel tank .

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

I also found this online
it has the same weird exhaust
I'm pretty sure the one I bought had a new distributor and carb placed on it for now
https://www.bugbus.net/en/classifieds.html?cmd=detail&id=23846&cat_id=70

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

I drilled out the seat track on the driver's side after work tonight
If you recall, the PO welded angle iron to the rails so he could mount some other seats and screwed up the rails
So , I got some from Wolfsburg West and will try welding those in
Sorry, but I dont have before pics any more ☹️

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

IDK about the quality of Wolfsburg West's seat tracks but most of the aftermarket tracks are pure crap, make sure to slide them into the seat to see if they'll work. I also suggest using the seat as a jig to ensure that the tracks are aligned correctly as you tack weld the tracks onto the pan. & FWIW, depending on your height, it wouldn't hurt to install the new tracks about 2" back from original position, at 6'4" the original position is a bit tight for me.

Looking at that brake line, I'd give it a thorough once over or replace it just because.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

slave1pilot wrote:
I picked up a 1600 dual port today . It's an AE coded dual relief case, so that's a very good starting point

Is that engine missing tin pieces on the bottom?
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
IDK about the quality of Wolfsburg West's seat tracks but most of the aftermarket tracks are pure crap, make sure to slide them into the seat to see if they'll work. I also suggest using the seat as a jig to ensure that the tracks are aligned correctly as you tack weld the tracks onto the pan. & FWIW, depending on your height, it wouldn't hurt to install the new tracks about 2" back from original position, at 6'4" the original position is a bit tight for me.

Looking at that brake line, I'd give it a thorough once over or replace it just because.

all very good information.
I will make sure they fit, but the old ones had to be replaced. They were unusable. The PO welded angle iron to them and they were FUBAR.
I was considering welding the track in a little farther back just to be ok. I'm only 5'11" but I like to sit back a little when I drive.I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to weld them someplace else and was gonna ask.

Everything needs going over in the car . it sat for quite some time out in the harsh California Desert Wink

pbenn wrote:

Is that engine missing tin pieces on the bottom?

yes, the bottom tin isn't there. I do have the tin from the 2180 . I will install all tins and seals since I live in the desert and cooling is very important.

thanks everyone!

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

Agree, I moved my seat tracks back 2 inch's. I made a plywood template before I removed them so I had something to refer to. Too bad the PO didn't give you that. Be mindfull of the seat workings and the tunnel when you weld them back in.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

Your best bet is contact some VW salvage yards to see if they have some good OG seat tracks. I ordered WW heavy duty pans (which were great) and ended up using my original seat tracks (moved back a few inches). Test placement and use seat as alignment jig as stated above. You'll be glad you did if you go that route.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

I had Some free time today so I decided To check out the engine i picked up

So much for that plan
Looks like it might be another boat anchor

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

Hard to tell in photos but are the valves burnt or embedded in the heads?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

Doesn't look to have been water filled for too long, continue the tear down and cross your fingers.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

Thanks man
That’s the plan
A little discouraged today , so I put the heads back in place
Going to drain the oil And see if there is any water there.
I’ll flush it a few times and take a look
Id rather not split the case, but I’m not sure at this point how much effort I wanna Put into this one

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 body on a 59 pan Herbie project car Reply with quote

What is water in an engine bad?😂the engine that came with my 66 saw some under water stuff. The heads and cylinders were junk but I was able to reuse the crank, cam, lifters and piston rods. I think you will find some salvageable parts and splitting the case isn't a big job. Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 19

Jump to: