Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Squeaky belt
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
billclimbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Squeaky belt Reply with quote

I have an 85 Westy. My belt is squealing (till warmed up). I'm out of room for adjustment and its still quite loose. It is the belt to the alternator. I think the pulley may be worn??. I'm wondering if anyone has tried using a shorter belt??^
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sqeaky belt Reply with quote

V belts are an old technology and they wear out. Different cultures and manufacturers do things differently. The stock type of belt is supplied by Continental 10X1100. As the belts wear the V gets more narrow. This effectively makes the belt longer. You can use other belts but you are introducing other variables. My bet is that a new 10X1100 fixes it.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Sqeaky belt Reply with quote

You want the belt tight enough so it doesn't slip. Getting it too tight on adjustment or a different size belt can bring premature wear to the alternator and water pump bearings.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
billclimbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Sqeaky belt Reply with quote

Thanks againtothisgroup!! I got the continental belt. It didn't look any smaller but it fits perfectly with room for even more tightening....won't be buying any other belt again!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sqeaky belt Reply with quote

PLEASE buy another belt…before you need it!

(IOW: keep a spare in the van!) Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sqeaky belt Reply with quote

Does your alternator shake around when the engine is running? With the engine off if you grab the alternator and shake, what happens? It should be rock solid in both tests.
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Sqeaky belt Reply with quote

Keep your old belt and throw it under the seat. If you throw a belt you'll have a instant replacement to get you going until you can source a new replacement.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky belt Reply with quote

Is there a magical secret to getting/keeping the belts tight? I have been battling with the belts on my 85 Westy with AC. I swear, I tighten the belts and within a week or so they have loosened up. Can't determine if they are stretching or if the accessories are moving? I have the bolts so tight with lock washers in most cases that I cant see them loosening up. But I also cant see the belts needing to be tightened every few weeks? What am I missing?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky belt Reply with quote

Your problem could be cheap belts. I bought a Continental belt once not realizing that they apparently had more than one grade of belts. It squealed seemingly no matter how tight I tightened it, once I replaced it with something else the problem went away.

I prefer cogged V-belts as they handle small diameter pulleys better. The best belt I think I have ever had was a Dayco Top Cog that was on my 1974 Bay when I bought it. It probably lasted me a full 20 years of every day use and was removed "just cause" as it was ancient, and not because it was actually showing signs of failure. Should have just bought a spare and stowed it in the glove box, along with tools to do the swap so I could see how long the Top Cog could have actually gone.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky belt Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Your problem could be cheap belts. I bought a Continental belt once not realizing that they apparently had more than one grade of belts. It squealed seemingly no matter how tight I tightened it, once I replaced it with something else the problem went away.

I prefer cogged V-belts as they handle small diameter pulleys better. The best belt I think I have ever had was a Dayco Top Cog that was on my 1974 Bay when I bought it. It probably lasted me a full 20 years of every day use and was removed "just cause" as it was ancient, and not because it was actually showing signs of failure. Should have just bought a spare and stowed it in the glove box, along with tools to do the swap so I could see how long the Top Cog could have actually gone.

I'll have to check. I think two of them were ones that came as spares with the vehicle. The alternator is the only one I bought from CIP1 I think and it had a JP Dansk label.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky belt Reply with quote

my favorite belt that i use for both the ALT-WP and the power steering is the NAPA XL 25-7430. wears like iron, doesn't stretch. i've bought some NOS Made-in-USA but the current ones are Hecho en Mexico and seem fine quality.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky belt Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
my favorite belt that i use for both the ALT-WP and the power steering is the NAPA XL 25-7430. wears like iron, doesn't stretch. i've bought some NOS Made-in-USA but the current ones are Hecho en Mexico and seem fine quality.

Thanks. I have had decent luck with Napa parts in the past. Their brake light switches have proven to be superior to the expensive European ones. I'll grab the sizes and give it a try.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky belt Reply with quote

it's a re-branded Gates belt. you can buy the Gates too. i use this belt for both positions, it might be a tad short for the ALT one but it fits on mine and gives tons of room for tightening as it wears. nice to carry one part number for both belts, and i carry 2 of them! belt and suspenders, so to speak.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky belt Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
it's a re-branded Gates belt. you can buy the Gates too. i use this belt for both positions, it might be a tad short for the ALT one but it fits on mine and gives tons of room for tightening as it wears. nice to carry one part number for both belts, and i carry 2 of them! belt and suspenders, so to speak.

I have three belts and all are different sizes. I feel the one for the AC that was supplied might be too wide. It seems more to sit ON the pulley instead of IN the pulley. I like the idea of a shorter belt to allow stretch. I wish the alternator had the tension adjuster like the AC compressor.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky belt Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
I carry 2 of them! belt and suspenders, so to speak.

We carry two spare Continental suspenders — I mean, belts. One’s used and the only one I ever replaced, several years ago, and only just because.

I run it pretty loose, with up to an inch of thumb pressure, though the book calls for about 0.6”. Never had one fail.

“I can’t trust this guy. Look at him, belt and suspenders, the man can’t even trust his own pants.”
— Henry Fonda, “Once Upon a Time in the West”
(possibly the best Western ever)

— Colin Chapman
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky belt Reply with quote

How much pressure do you use? I'm a big guy, If i put my weight intonit Inam sure I could make the belts flex an inch.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky belt Reply with quote

Hard to say… but just enough until resistance makes the belt feel really tight against my thumb… almost to where holding that is uncomfortable on my thumb joints.

The Continentals, at least, get tighter when hot. I suspect when belts are getting loose over time is when they’re too tight to start with.

— Colin Chapman
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky belt Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
How much pressure do you use? I'm a big guy, If i put my weight intonit Inam sure I could make the belts flex an inch.

ayup. very subjective. loosen it enough to squawk at startup and then tighten a smidge. an occasional chirp is fine tho it will snap the heads around of passerbys because no one has a vehicle with belt squeaks anymore given the ubiquitous serpentine.

what the ALT belt layout needs is a spring tension idler on the top run. it's long and with a thin belt so it forms a harmonic flapping that stresses the alternator mount. just a light spring loaded idler would damp the harmonic and greatly reduce broken alternator mounts.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky belt Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

ayup. very subjective. loosen it enough to squawk at startup and then tighten a smidge. an occasional chirp is fine tho it will snap the heads around of passerbys because no one has a vehicle with belt squeaks anymore given the ubiquitous serpentine.

*Exactly* my take.

On cold startups, once kicking off the idiot lights with a little rev, I sometimes do get a little chirping or squealing.

Raising a point… they will squeal more in cold weather. We rarely fire up below freezing, so can run the belt looser than most.

— Colin Chapman
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky belt Reply with quote

I do have the "improved" alternator mount from GW. Still doesnt have a tension adjuster which is what it needs.

What is weird is the alternator tends to squeel or squeel more with the AC compressor engaged which makes no sense to me. Its been cooler here so havent used the AC, that and there are other issues, so havent been using it. But when I turned the AC on, there was a squealing like a stuck pig. But it was coming from the alternator belt, it went away. Turn the AC compressor off and it went away prior to tightening it which seem antithetical. Maybe its because it slowed the engine down?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: