Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig's Bumper Program: freely share or charge?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Bostig's Bumper Program: freely share or charge? Reply with quote

Moderator note: Poll ended and has been removed. Topic will remain open for civil discussion regarding the original Bostig-planned bumpers.

Please cast a vote:

http://bostigarticles.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-nfb-and-nfbc-bumper-projects-what.html

They ARE NOT asking for your opinion about the bumpers or what it takes to build them.

They want to know whether they should give away the CAD files to make your own locally and ask for donations

OR

Sell the files on eBay at market value.

Again, please vote and help them out with valueable information from Vanagon owners.

Last edited by insyncro on Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
kryptkat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it look bitchen, by far better than anything currently available. I only wish there's a bumper that improves the approach angle. I've gone through 3 Rocky Mountain front bumpers and at $500 a pop, that's not cheap. I am currently working with a reputable company in San Diego on a design for my front, hopefully I can share it with everyone soon.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryptkat wrote:
I think it look bitchen, by far better than anything currently available. I only wish there's a bumper that improves the approach angle. I've gone through 3 Rocky Mountain front bumpers and at $500 a pop, that's not cheap. I am currently working with a reputable company in San Diego on a design for my front, hopefully I can share it with everyone soon.

Sweet!, but sorry to hear about all those bashed bumpers that didn't cut it.

I have seen the Bostig Skids and Bumpers being abused past any level I would beat them and they took it all like a champ with only surface scrapes to the coating they received.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking bumper. It would be nice if someone offered it. With a matching back bumper at $800-1000 for a set. But I can't see it working commercially. They could try licensing it through someone like Burley and see if they can get some of their money back.

I personally would rather not have the blinker bars, just the middle bull bar and a couple D rings mounted.

I've been looking at Toyota bumpers to something could be adapted. I am not crazy about the GW or RMW ones, but otherwise I have to make someting.
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when Jim was first discussing the idea of the laser cut, flat shipped, self assembled kits. It brought me back to the days of building large wooden dinosaur models that were designed and implemented in much the same way. Since I was building 8 foot tall T-Rex's before I could read the instructions, I would be willing to guess that most people could knock out a bumper without too much trouble these days with a little bit of guidance Wink

It is great to see the ideas and methods from Bostig remain consistently exciting and original, while still firmly embracing their well established Guided-DIY philosophy. I would be happy to make a donation to Bostig for access to the files, knowing that it would help to fund future projects.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Last edited by thatvwbusguy on Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather see a nice OEm bumper made again with quality chrome and nice thick steel like OEM, Some aftermarket stuff is really bad.

30k to get your money back on Vanagon bumpers, hot dog that is a lot. say you charge $400 per bumper. 200 labor, 100 material, and 100 to pay off the $30K development cost, so you would need to sell 300 of them to break even!!!!! and the market is smaller than the vanagon market, it is likely the smaller sub-segment market of off road vanagons, Syncros and such, and for folks that like to customize their vans.

That is tough, 300 to sell just to break even if I read this right.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of money to recoup with an already expensive bumper!. I still plan on making some to suit my needs too, but don't expect development to go over $1000... Patents go for another $5000 or so, and usually provide much of the information to build your own. I also believe legally you can copy any patent out there if you build it for own personal use and and don't intend to reproduce to sell without licensing agreements.

I'd like to spend money on prebuilt bumpers, but like everyone else, I have certain needs the bumper has to meet. They all either don't have what I want or have too much other stuff I don't want/need. I would like some nice heavy stock chrome bumpers though!
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a fan of this design over all others on the market, all of which seemed to lack in the aesthetic department. Too bad the deal with Burley fell through--that was sounding promising.

I have some local contacts for steelwork, and I'd happily donate to have the files and handle production myself. Hell, I can weld; I might even take a swing at it myself.

Outside of the NFB, the next best option IMO is a steel version of the stock fiberglass bumpers, which will never happen Confused
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far:

eBay 26%

donation 74%

19 total
redeyeksc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done, and as with all things Bostig, I wish them the best of luck.
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own two of these.....
I love them, alot.

I have one assembled and one still waiting to be put together. The assembled one has been put through the ringer and has proven it's worth! It's strong, and I mean STRONG. I have pulled with it, winched with it, and hit things with it.
It rocks.

I think these are both good options to get this bumper into the hands of people! I know there are tons of people wishing they could have one and have been waiting patiently for some chance to get one, so anything is a step in the right direction.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was one who put down a deposit to hold my spot in line on these and got a refund when they never came to market.
Just the other day I had the though: I wonder if they would sell me the solid model for a couple bucks. For private use only, I have access to a laser and all the welding equipment. I could even make it out of aluminum...

I would gladly pay a fair price for the design work. You could even get some group buys going to get the local laser cut price down really low. No shipping required.
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not set up with a company that could use an efficient method to cut kits and make them on demand or small runs?

Or, not to rely on the donation method but sell the plans for a set price? That is how boat plans are done. Then, if you build more than one boat from a suppliers plans there is an honor system to pay a reasonable fee for each subsequent boat.

Chuey
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with Chuey. Boat plans, go cart plans, tree house plans and the like have been sold like this.

I have the funny feeling that just as they seem to surmise on the video, selling and shipping the ready to assemble kit would cost so much the price point would be a challenge. Meaning low volume. And the fully assembled bumper would be 50% more for even less volume.

I can't speak for the economics of it from Bostigs perspective because who better than them to estimate the Vanagon market size and sales at these two price points? Right? This is right up their alley.

The plans only idea is kinda innovative. I wonder if it might work to supplement the financial aspect for Bostig to sell the plans for people to have locally fabricated, and include a discount coupon (only available with these plans) of a % off any purchase from them in the future for a big ticket item. Say $500 or more. That way a certain number of plans buyers would be motivated to buy something big from them in the future, as well as getting the plans for what looks like the stoutest Vanagon bumper going. So the sales of the plans may also generate a few other items to be purchased in the future through them vs another vendor.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted to post the plans and ask for donations.

Bostig does everything "brick-shithouse" design, meant to last forever.
If they got the $30,000 back, I suspect we'd see the upping of our power options soon thereafter......hmmm, 200HP? 250HP?
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

33% sell/eBay

67% donation

48 total
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was tempted to get on the list when these first were discussed but waited to see if they were going to come up with a matching rear.
I just voted for the sell on eBay option just because I always wonder how well the donation system works out. I think Bostig deserves whatever return they can get for investing the time in developing this concept. I would like to know what the price point is that they are looking for.
Does anyone have an idea of the average cost of having a set of parts laser cut? One of my thoughts was that folks could do a regional group buy. For example, I would be willing to do some legwork to get some pricing for various quantities of parts if a few Colorado people were interested. This would eliminate shipping costs if people just picked up their kits.
The company I work for has a supplier in Denver that does laser cutting and in fact does a lot of stainless steel fabrication. Stainless bumpers anyone?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The package is eBay bound as of Jan 15 2015.

I will post a link once the auction is active.
Madeouttaglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice. I've seen a similar one somewhere.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's heavy duty Bro Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: