Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
Just before I send mine for scrap... i have the complete heater,wiring ,belly pan for free located in S. Ontario Canada. Pm me tonight . Jim

I just sent SecretSubmariner a PM with your post; we were talking a week or so ago about him installing a BA6.

If he doesn't take it, I just might just to keep it from getting squashed.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sebgi1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

I just test the bn4 I restored this spring. It starts just has it should and blow lots of heat but it black smoke a lot. Is it normal?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dogs are the most precious and valuable possession of mankind. VWs are second!

'73 Neptune blue safare camper
'71 Neptune blue tintop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

sebgi1 wrote:
but it black smoke a lot. Is it normal?

No, test the output volume of the pump.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/bn4troubleshooting.php

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Things to check are a good spark plug/glow plug, fuel consumption and continual spark.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Today I decided to install my BN4 in my 1972 westfalia. I got the gas heater out of a 1976 passenger bug at the junkyard for around $50-$75 and it was mostly complete, missing the know for the switch, wiring cover and what rusted out. I used the templates Notchboy scanned and had put in the technical section so thank you. I will add a run through of installation.
I first started with the recirc hole.

I centered the template on the hole. I found the edges are perfect so where it says to line up may not be accurate for all busses. I used a step bit on the corners and then cut it out and used a die grinder to make the hole nice.

I found that after the recirc it is best to cut the hole then drill out the screw holes using the part as a template. Next was to remove the bench seat out to get to the area to cut

I found that the template has you cut farther into the middle than needed and you can add material to the template

I accidentally cut too far over towards the wheel well Embarassed

Then I got the hole in the firewall cut out. I had to do some guesstimating and got it spot on.

I found that the piece even had a part number sticker on it still since it was a dealer installed unit.

The bus was very rusty so I will have to work on a new intake pipe Laughing
I got the temperature cable installed. I lived it up but pulled all of the wire out. The end of the wire had been bent by someone and I tired to straighten it but it broke. Luckily I had enough slack I was able to cut back some of the outer casing and get enough wire to work. Here is it in

I am going to modify the passenger bus duct for a flex tube like what a westy would have had. I was happy with how it can out, next step: get it running Cool
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Hells yeah! Nice install. Looks good. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Hells yeah! Nice install. Looks good. Cool

Thanks you!

Today I got some 3in flex tubing, and made the rest of the pieces for the ducting. I made the 3in tunes out of flat sheet metal. Then I cut the part of the air duct for passenger busses and made the adapter for a camper. It wasn’t the prettiest but it will work. I surgically removed the part I didn’t need. Here are the pics

And the battery tray from yesterday. Even the OG grommet

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Hello,
Fixing up my old heater. It's an early bn4. Can anyone tell me how to get the plastic connector terminal block off? I don't want to break it.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Ollie W wrote:
Hello,
Fixing up my old heater. It's an early bn4. Can anyone tell me how to get the plastic connector terminal block off? I don't want to break it.
Thanks

Pic? If its what Im thinking you need to stick a small flat hear along side the terminal to release the female end of the pin.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Thanks, right after I posted this, I blew all the debris off of it and found the screw heads.
Another question for you though. How is this sensor supposed to work?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/prXPCnWFR9uYcxUG6
Thank again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Thanks, right after I posted this, I blew all the debris off of it and found the screw heads.
Another question for you though. How is this sensor supposed to work?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/prXPCnWFR9uYcxUG6
Thank again.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

You really should post that in the Samba gallery.....

It's the overheat switch, when it gets too hot that bimetal arm closes the contacts and blows the fuse so you have to take it to the dealer for service.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
You really should post that in the Samba gallery.....

It's the overheat switch, when it gets too hot that bimetal arm closes the contacts and blows the fuse so you have to take it to the dealer for service.

Man I haven't been in here in a bit. The good old days. Cool Laughing Lots of time and energy here. Good to see you Busdaddy.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Hello all and especially Jason,

I've got the heater taken apart more and I'm looking at the blower motor, but I have a question about the scraping sound as it rotates. Is this normal or is there a way to correct this?

Link
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Not good, but sometimes it's the cards you have to play when dealing with old shit.
That fan dealy you are spinning is secured with an allen key (metric of course), move it away from the motor a mm or two and repeat your testing, or before that look it over carefully to make sure it isn't just one bent blade that's gotten bent somehow that's touching.

Good to see Jason back here too, we miss you bro!

Слава Україні!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Not good, but sometimes it's the cards you have to play when dealing with old shit.
That fan dealy you are spinning is secured with an allen key (metric of course), move it away from the motor a mm or two and repeat your testing, or before that look it over carefully to make sure it isn't just one bent blade that's gotten bent somehow that's touching.

Good to see Jason back here too, we miss you bro!

Yes easy fix as BD says. The fan is held on the motor shaft with a small grub screw. Look in where the shaft of the blase is meeting the shaft of the motor.

Im back on Type 3 duty. Trying to build a T34 Vert. Cool Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Hello again,

I'm making progress on my heater restore, but now I have a question about the wiring. My unit is an early one and the wiring differs from the wiring diagrams I see. Specifically, I want to know about wiring this,

I also made this quick video to help see what I'm look at.

Link

Thanks,
Chris
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Disregard my post above. I went back to the box of parts I'd received this heater in years ago and found the 5 inch yellow wire that was confusing me on the wiring diagram.

Sorry to pester with all my questions, I've only ever worked on Southwind heaters before.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Try this one next time Ollie Wink

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=677707&highlight=

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Thought I’d share. I got a NOS BN4 unit (but for a thing) at my local VW shop. The owner showed me a pile and said I think it’s in there Laughing it was buried under a ton of parts, suspension parts, brakes, boxes and more. I think found everything that was there but I got a good deal on it and will be using most the parts for my Baywindow. I even got some NOS boxes Very Happy the fuel line connection on the unit still had a rubber cover on it. Nice paint on the unit but a thick layer of dust. Pretty sweet NOS stuff! Never had any NOS VW boxes before

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: