Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Sweet Score Cool Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

so you posted this simply to make us jealous? Evil or Very Mad

sheesh take a joke Wink

where does the exhaust exit on a bus? the side panel?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
so you posted this simply to make us jealous? Evil or Very Mad

sheesh take a joke Wink

where does the exhaust exit on a bus? the side panel?

Yes Laughing

The exhaust exits out under the rear corner of the bus through the battery tray.

So with the price for OG metering pumps getting crazy for ones that may not even work, I was thinking about alternatives. I looked on EBay and saw they had new metering pumps for Eberspacher diesel heaters and was wonder if maybe one of these would work https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-22451901-12V-Fuel-Mete...632-2357-0
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Put a side door in to access it, and a battery door for symmetry.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
So with the price for OG metering pumps getting crazy for ones that may not even work, I was thinking about alternatives. I looked on EBay and saw they had new metering pumps for Eberspacher diesel heaters and was wonder if maybe one of these would work https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-22451901-12V-Fuel-Mete...632-2357-0

Depends if it can be adjusted enough to produce the required volume, it's cheap enough to gamble on to find out.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:

Depends if it can be adjusted enough to produce the required volume, it's cheap enough to gamble on to find out.

That's if they are even adjustable at all. Lots are pre set from the factory now. No adjustment.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Not for a bus, but a later BN4 for sure. This one is set up for a thing. I need to fire it up and put the inspection stickers on. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
clhiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Hello all

I have an old style BN4 in my '71 westy. It is the style that has the exhaust exiting through the apron around the engine, not through the battery tray.

First question is would the recirc snorkel from a later bus fit?

Second question is what should the hi/lo (stop/start) temps be at the vent opening inside the bus? I feel like it is shutting off too early and cooling off too much before it fires up again. I'm not looking forward to having to get at the temp switch to adjust it. The bowden cable is pulled out as far as it will go.

Third question is for Notchboy. Got any of those sweet stickers left?

Collin
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

clhiller wrote:
Hello all

I have an old style BN4 in my '71 westy. It is the style that has the exhaust exiting through the apron around the engine, not through the battery tray.

First question is would the recirc snorkel from a later bus fit?

Second question is what should the hi/lo (stop/start) temps be at the vent opening inside the bus? I feel like it is shutting off too early and cooling off too much before it fires up again. I'm not looking forward to having to get at the temp switch to adjust it. The bowden cable is pulled out as far as it will go.

Third question is for Notchboy. Got any of those sweet stickers left?

Collin

I'm actually not sure of the up to 71 bays and the snorkel. I know the later bays have a stamped section in the wall for the screen and capture sleeve. I would think its doable on the earlies. But a recirculation tube for the most part, in my opinion is not really needed.

I never did a real "range" test for the temp on the thermostat spring. I have an NOS one, but never installed it and did that range test. Do you have a thermostat? If so and you want more out of it then you will need to adjust.

Which sticker? The inspection one or one of the polar bear ones or the tropical one?

Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Since the recirc snorkel came on later models I don't think it'll be a direct fit to the earlier version, the later heater is tilted slightly more to the left to clear the dual carbs, you can likely adapt it, but it may require some trimming or extension.

Duct thermostat range can be adjusted somewhat, but it'll require digging it out of the bus for work on the bench, twist on the coil is adjusted by turning the center post, on/off can likely be altered by moving the contact points closer, it'll take some experimentation. Usually those require some fiddling with anyways, the bimetal coil changes shape all by itself over time, I suspect due to corrosion between the layers, when set up properly pulling the knob all the way out should only be needed in sub arctic temps.
An option that avoids dismantling is to install a RV thermostat inside the bus somewhere and jump the duct thermostat circuit so it never opens.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
clhiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys.

I do have the duct thermostat, just wasn't crazy about having to disassemble so much to get at it to adjust it.

An RV thermostat is an option I thought about, just wasn't sure how long the BN4 could run before it trips the overheating switch.

I was thinking about an electronic timer to jump the duct thermostat circuit and have it automatically cycle "120 seconds on/45 seconds off" type of thing. I could adjust the timing to obtain the temps I'd like. I realize that I would have to turn off the dash switch when I'm warm enough.

I love the polar bear stickers.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

clhiller wrote:

I love the polar bear stickers.

Ill see whats left. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Up for grabs - the rare Gray Face.

$425 - does not work, needs T3 clock to get working.

PM me if interested.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
apozzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Hello guys. I'm Stefano and I'm from Italy.
I'm going to install an old D1L Eberspacher heater on my 1975 double cab.
My doubt is about the intake system: I would not to drill the base sheet under the heater and I would try to bring the intake line as in the photo.....do you think it could work or putting the curve immediately after the intake hole could give problems?
Another question......bringing the intake in the tank area could work or the air in that zone is not clean?
I hope I've written clearly.....
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

As long as the elbow's aren't restrictive I don't see why it wouldn't work, why not carry on a little further forward and pull air from under the rear seat inside the cabin?

Слава Україні!
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

I would suggest you test that air setup on a bench test. I doubt it'll restrict the air flow much, it's probably fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
apozzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Thank you busdaddy.....have the intake line a length limit?

Last edited by apozzo on Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
apozzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Ollie W wrote:
I would suggest you test that air setup on a bench test. I doubt it'll restrict the air flow much, it's probably fine.

Yes, good idea! What about the intake line length? If I'd follow busdaddy's suggest and I'll bring the intake point under the rear Seat....could the heater have malfunction?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

apozzo wrote:
Thank you busdaddy.....have the intake line a length limit?

I don't know, I imagine if you make it as large as possible in the forward parts it shouldn't be an issue, any warnings in the heater's installation manual?
I've seen it done on BN-4's in single cabs, the pipe length is much shorter on a double cab.

Слава Україні!
apozzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 Eberspacher Restoration and installation - 72-78 Reply with quote

Here I'm with some update guys.....finally I've decided to put the heater under the bus....the engine zone in my opinion is small to put all the devices (heater, tank, pump, pipes and electric unit and relais) rationally.
So, I've decided to insert the heater in the middle of the original heating tube (the 90mm One). It will intake fresh air from the rear part of the tube and will send hot air from to the front party of the same tube.
I've created the bracket to support the heater and the wiring until the Cab for the control unit and the electric unit, relais and switch. The tank will be collocated in the engine van with another self made bracket.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: