Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dog Leg Tag Reproductions Westfalia & California
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
force3g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Dog Leg Tag Reproductions Westfalia & California Reply with quote

If am trying to gauge interest in reproductions of one or both of these dog leg ID tags. I am not asking for commitments just interest.

I am shopping with a vendors and of coarse quantity plays a major role into what I can get them reproduced for. They will be aluminum and will have the rivet holes but would not have the numbers stamped. I am also talking with a vendor who would stamp your original numbers on the tags. I am going to shoot mine with a couple coats of clear to preserve the integrity on the tag.

I have no ball park price at this time, just trying to get a feel for a quantity.
let me know if you have interest in these reproductions.

Thanks...Ed

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pic borrowed from the gallery of sxuxrxf

1970 Westy
2010 Jetta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the effort. However, many may be hesitant to put additional holes in their bus especially near the dog leg and expose their buses to additional rust risk.
(sold - but not forgotten)
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested if they were corrext for my 77.
I also have press and rotary engraving machines at work that can custom mark tags if folks need.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
force3g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
I love the effort. However, many may be hesitant to put additional holes in their bus especially near the dog leg and expose their buses to additional rust risk.

No additional holes would be needed. They would line up with the original holes. Simply replacing tags like this or missing tags.

1970 Westy
2010 Jetta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

force3g wrote:
BUSBOSS wrote:

No additional holes would be needed. They would line up with the original holes. Simply replacing tags like this or missing tags.

My mistake - I thought you were opening it up to those who might want to add them.

FYI: Those tags did not get installed on every California delivered camper. I would expect the marketplace to be very small.
(sold - but not forgotten)
ib-bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would order a few of those , I just restored and sold this bus and wish I had a new set of them.
I sent the old tags along to the new owner , but the new ones would have look nicer.
If you start a list add me to it please.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the example given is a California plate. I am guessing those can't be reproduced without serious legal risk to the maker, especially if someone forged new or unearned numbers. It would be like printing and selling driver's licenses to replace a damaged one. Only DMV can do that. However California will reissue them if they are damaged. They appear to be called "California Insignia of Approval"

http://www.hcd.ca.gov/codes/mhp/insigbkt.html
force3g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link!

1970 Westy
2010 Jetta
Ernie Punkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: reproduction VIN plates? Reply with quote

Not endorsing this product. It's just something I saw for the first time today that sort of goes along with this topic. Have these been around for some time? I'm not buying, just curious. Confused

http://www.vintagepartsusa.com/catalog/details/VWVIN2?zipcode=98134#
Ion Pod Trailer
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot find it but IIRC someone repops the Black Westfalia plate.
catfish54-46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I still had my westy I would buy one, the tag that was on was rough. What's the price?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is the ones on my California SF import Westfalia bus. Stickers not badges.

Why were the numbers cut out of the Westfalia one? Maybe Westfalia put theirs on and the Cali one overlapped in "power" so when Cali put theirs on they voided the Westy one?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in all day long. I would pay around $100 for a good set if needed.

SGKent wrote:

the example given is a California plate. I am guessing those can't be reproduced without serious legal risk to the maker, especially if someone forged new or unearned numbers. It would be like printing and selling driver's licenses to replace a damaged one. Only DMV can do that. However California will reissue them if they are damaged. They appear to be called "California Insignia of Approval"

hcd.ca.gov wrote:

Additionally, you must certify under penalty of perjury that you unit is in compliance with all codes and standards pertaining to the systems and equipment contained in the unit at the time of application.

I'm wondering if, for example, my bus meeting 1969 codes is enough, or if we would have to rectify to 2014+ codes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

SGKent wrote:

hcd.ca.gov wrote:

Additionally, you must certify under penalty of perjury that you unit is in compliance with all codes and standards pertaining to the systems and equipment contained in the unit at the time of application.

I'm wondering if, for example, my bus meeting 1969 codes is enough, or if we would have to rectify to 2014+ codes.

I think this is the $$$$$$ question. Someone needs to look into that to see if being legal is worth it - because at the end of the day - Id buy a repop of my tags if I wanted new fresh post resto stickers. The likelihood of anyone with the ability to fine you is well below the give a shit line.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

SGKent wrote:

hcd.ca.gov wrote:

I think this is the $$$$$$ question. Someone needs to look into that to see if being legal is worth it - because at the end of the day - Id buy a repop of my tags if I wanted new fresh post resto stickers. The likelihood of anyone with the ability to fine you is well below the give a shit line.

This is like the guy in CA that makes brand new "vintage" license plates. Nobody questions how he does it or how much time he spent in prison… And nobody has ever been pulled over or caught because of them. But they're still technically illegal, even if they're 100% match to the originals.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
force3g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the tags. The minimum order to print them is 50 of each. Ouch! Price is $12/tag. You will have to drill your own holes in the tag and take them to a trophy shop and have you numbers stamped.

Please, no more posts about the legality of a blank tag. They a screen printed aluminum and look like the ones in this picture.

Tell your friends. I need 50 sets to make it happen.

1970 Westy
2010 Jetta
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take four of each.
CrRusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By 1975 the tags were plastic stickers. Not sure what year the change was from aluminum to vinyl. My 1972 is aluminum tag.

I'm interested in 3 pairs/sets. I'm counting on the quality will be close to originals. Thanks, ----Randy---
1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in for a set!
force3g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrRusty wrote:
By 1975 the tags were plastic stickers. Not sure what year the change was from aluminum to vinyl. My 1972 is aluminum tag.

I'm interested in 3 pairs/sets. I'm counting on the quality will be close to originals. Thanks, ----Randy---

I am also counting on the quality. I am trying to get them to run a set for me to look at. If the do I will post detailed pics for your inspection.

1970 Westy
2010 Jetta
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: