Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brighter tail light, brake light and turn signal bulbs?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Brighter tail light, brake light and turn signal bulbs? Reply with quote

Daily Double wrote:
I'm assuming you have a 12V system (standard on a 67). These say 9V is lowest voltage.

Anyone have suggestions for a 6V system (66 and earlier)? Which is what I have & theoretically a lot of us in this section of the forum.

I just spent about an hour reading old Samba posts and looking at ads and I can't find any 6V LED tail light systems for the 62-67 tail light style.

Does anyone have something that they've done recently (some posts are almost 10yrs old) that worked?

I did read about LED bulbs that folks didn't feel were any better than clean contact original incandescents bulbs. I don't want to buy something that isn't clearly better. I'm also concerned about having flashers not working with just picking up LED bulbs rather than an assembly that is designed for the tail light.

I'd love to get my standard 6V 1966 Beetle tail lights brighter - please include links to items if you have purchased something that would work.

Thanks!

Ask Chip https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=153242
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Brighter tail light, brake light and turn signal bulbs? Reply with quote

LED bulbs are usually brighter, though this varies, and if the taillamp "filament" is too bright, the extra brightness of the brake "filament" gets lost, actually reducing safety. You still want a good difference between brake and tail.

Another LED advantage, especially for brakes and turn signals, is that they come on instantly, rather than slowly gaining brightness. Sometimes this is enough to get more attention from the driver behind you.
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Brighter tail light, brake light and turn signal bulbs? Reply with quote

Installing a high up 3rd LED brake light is also another option. You can configure some of them to flash with the turn signals too.
Daily Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Brighter tail light, brake light and turn signal bulbs? Reply with quote

I'm waiting for the following 3rd light: https://www.aircooledaccessories.com/index.php?rou...duct_id=54

Quite pricey with the shipping (from UK to USA) but I liked the look and it is designed to work with the 6V system. I know there are a lot of other ideas for 3rd lights (that is another forum rabbit hole)

The 3rd light is what got me into also looking for something to improve my running lights & turn signals. I've PM'ed Chip B.

Thanks for the replies - keep them coming if you have experiences to share (what doesn't work is also valuable)
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Brighter tail light, brake light and turn signal bulbs? Reply with quote

Voltage drop is the main issue; but many people spends a lot of time in searching spare parts, substitutions, etc, and no one spends 2 minutes to measure voltage at the bulb terminals.

When the correct voltage at the terminals is achieved, next step is to use new bulbs... after 10..20 years they fade.

Finally, using a bright aluminium tape (the one used to seal the exhaust channel into kitchen or fireplace) I covered the reflector part of the lights. A good reflector can give 50% more light.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: