Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torque for ball joint / rod ends w locknuts?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceh1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Torque for ball joint / rod ends w locknuts? Reply with quote

i recently bought new tie rod ends and ball joints for my 74 ghia. they came with nylock nuts and no provisions for cotter pins.
is the torque value going to be the same as stock for these?
also, i'm having trouble with the camber/caster adjuster nut locking onto the ball joint stud and rotating in the spindle, constantly changing the adjustment! it doesn't need to be pressed into the spindle does it? i put anti seize on all the studs to keep them from being such a massive pain to remove next time.
this is my first time dealing w vw front end. had my buddy help me install the sway bar, that was a process!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule, ball joints with self locking nuts are often a bottom of the barrel product.
The better brands use castle nuts because of the superior properties of them.

The nylon lock nuts are hard to install for the threaded rod of the ball rotates because of the friction of the nylon in the nut.
Some have a hex inside the top of the stud or a flat spot to get a wrench on at the top of the threads......

Also how tight do you make it? You've got all of that friction in the nylon to overcome.

It's not an answer but make it tight but don't strip it out! It's a "feel" kind of project.

Good luck, hope you find a better answer than I just gave you!

This link might help you sort it out.......
http://nylok.com/nylok-basics

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ceh1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply.
yeah,i also had the problem with the stud turning instead of tightening the nut. i was considering using a dremel to flatten two sides at the top of the stud so i could grab it with a vise grip or something while i torque it down.
was also thinking of drilling holes for cotter pins, but theres lots of problems with executing that idea....
i got the ball joints because they are 'clearanced for lowered vws'. hope that wasn't just a sales gimmick!
any clue with the adjuster nut?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: