Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator Type IV (4)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

Is it possible you have a starter relay installed?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
55 Amp Alternator Question:
On my original ‘74 alternator, I have a thick (8 gauge?) wire coming off the alternator leading to confusion on what exactly this ties into. On the schematic, I have no visual of such blue wire.
Small blue wire - indicator light
Large red wire - starter 50
Brown wire - ground
Green wire - isssss????

Trying to figure this out, something’s array as I had it hooked up previously with a running bus but resulting in ruining a voltage regulator.

Any insight is wonderfully apprciated.
Sam

-The green wire is the DF from the regulator

-There is typically a wire for the factory test plug which isn't very large, maybe a 16 gauge and is black IIRC. This wire is best left disconnected inside the cover on the alternator, bent back on itself, and held with a wire tie.

-Don't know about another large wire, but if you have such it probably isn't needed unless you have some kind of unusual electrical stuff that was added. The schematic does show another ground wire in the area, but it doesn't look like it does anything at all. Maybe it is require in certain application?
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

It has already been well documented here in this thread, but I evidently also had a short on the + side. I'm re-heatshrinking the crimp and turning the connector slightly -- I'll add a little nylon washer or so as well to insulate the metal washer...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)
2004 Passat 1.8T (manual)

http://21stcenturyhobo.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: