Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator Type IV (4)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
porschpow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

Any special tricks to put the upper bolt back in? Seems kinda tricky

I was thinking of saturating the lower bolt with PB blaster
-1986 Honda Magna
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

The upper one should have started life as a stud with a nut. If it still is you can just use a shallow socket and an extension to get the nut on. A bolt would be more difficult, but could be done the same way.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

porschpow wrote:
Any special tricks to put the upper bolt back in? Seems kinda tricky

I'm able to start the top nut with my fingers.

To get the adjuster nut started I use one of those telescopic magnet pick up tools to hold it in place while I screw in the adjuster screw.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
porschpow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

From what it looks to me, the upper bracket fastener looks to be a bolt, not a stud
-1986 Honda Magna
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

Something I see a lot is the bracket the alternator pivots on the square hole gets all messed up and enlarged and then doesn't function to hold the bolt from turning. What I think happens is people aren't loosening that bolt; just pry it over to tension the belt and tighten the allen bolt back down. Or else they do loosen the bottom and just never bother to tighten it. I can only think that the alternator must be moving around down there to cause this wear which is on every other engine I've gone through. You can tighten/loosen that bottom bolt from below to avoid this. Whenever they're for sale people seem to photograph them so you can't even see the state of the square hole...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

Type IV Alternator Cover template

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=913618

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

I have made very good facsimiles of these parts by cutting up old gallon oil or antifreeze jugs.
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

That is for 75 or 76 through 79.
Here is the early version

Anyone know what the other seal looks like? The one for between the alternator back and the tin? 021 903 637? Is it just a circle?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

nathansnathan wrote:

Anyone know what the other seal looks like? The one for between the alternator back and the tin? 021 903 637? Is it just a circle?

021 903 637 #36

Can't find a pic of it.
Good luck
Tcash

Please post a pic if you buy one.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

nathansnathan wrote:

Just a thin narrow paper gasket with three holes in it. If you glued a flat washer to the cover at each of the screw holes and then smeared silicone around the rim between the holes, let the silicone skim over for 30-45 minutes and then install the cover you would accomplish the same thing the gasket does.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

does anyone have an NOS unused Bosch paper gasket that they want to sell. I can get a price on having some made if I have a true original to work from. Part is 021 903 637
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

Cool I can sort of picture it, the 3 holes and then just riding the thin lip where the tin touches the aluminum. I'm going to try to fab something up from gasket paper. Would be a long shot finding one I would think.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
does anyone have an NOS unused Bosch paper gasket that they want to sell. I can get a price on having some made if I have a true original to work from.

I think I have a virtually new one somewhere, will keep an eye out for it. Going both thicker and wider would make for a more durable gasket, the original had little strength to it which is why they are all missing.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

Thanks Mike - I just found a couple sources in Europe who indicate they have some. VW shows some in inventory as well although everyone stateside shows them as discontinued. I placed an order for 10. Will let everyone know when they come in. They will be $4.00 each plus postage when they get here. The dimensions VW gives are a bit thicker than the one that came out of my alternator back plate in pieces. The are 5.7" (sounds about right) x 5.31" (sounds about right) x .039" (sounds thicker than the original but maybe their system only goes down to 1mm or mine compressed with age, moisture, and heat)
porschpow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

For the alternator bracket, what size is the top bolt that the bracket bolts onto the engine? 10mm
-1986 Honda Magna
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

porschpow wrote:
For the alternator bracket, what size is the top bolt that the bracket bolts onto the engine? 10mm

Wildthings wrote:
The upper one should have started life as a stud with a nut. If it still is you can just use a shallow socket and an extension to get the nut on. A bolt would be more difficult, but could be done the same way.

It's an 8mm stud, if I understand your question, the top of the alternator bracket..
porschpow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

Ok, weird, cause on some things, I read it was 13mm, and on other's it read as a 10mm nut
-1986 Honda Magna
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

this one?

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

When you find an allen like that, we used to just snug it up and tap the side of the allen wrench with a mallet, never dented the tin again.- belt nice and tight.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

porschpow wrote:
Ok, weird, cause on some things, I read it was 13mm, and on other's it read as a 10mm nut

8 x 1.25mm, 13mm wrench size
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: