Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator Type IV (4)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

Turns out what you want to search for are "alternator capacitors". You'll get nowhere with "suppression condenser". Even then I couldn't find any that looked flat AND would fit over the B+ terminal. Just purchased a space version and will modify it.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: 021 903 295 Alt. Suppressor Condenser Reply with quote

021 903 295 Alt. Suppressor Condenser
http://www.pelicanparts.com/PartsLookup/HTML/914_USA_KATALOG/902-05-Frame3.htm

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/entstorkondensator.html
https://www.vwheritage.com/classic/?ClassicLookup=CONDENSER
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: 914 Alternator wiring harness Reply with quote

Will a Porsche 914 Alternator wiring harness work on a VW T2 bus?
http://shop.914rubber.com/Alternator-wiring-harnes...egoryId=-1
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 914 Alternator wiring harness Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

If memory serves it should. I have "stolen" alternators from 412 with L-jet to go into D-jet...so it "should" ....let me check my books.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 Alternator wiring harness Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Tcash wrote:

If memory serves it should. I have "stolen" alternators from 412 with L-jet to go into D-jet...so it "should" ....let me check my books.
Ray

Yes, but it might be a bit short in length. I'd have to measure as it's a close match
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: 914 Alternator wiring harness Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

Wondering if anyone has tried this?
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 914 Alternator wiring harness Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Wondering if anyone has tried this?

Looks the same to me.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

Thought I'd try and do something helpful, so uploaded this template for the alternator gasket for anyone in the future to use. It's from a NOS gasket from SGKent's stash.

Print it out at 300 dpi and you're good to go with a factory template. I made mine from the link below. Scissors for the outside, razor blade on the inside and drill out the holes for a nice looking gasket. This is factory spec so make sure to give yourself a little clearance on the outside unless you have a perfect steady hand.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-9615MRG-Compresse...per+gasket

I like it better than the original paper thin gasket because it gets the backing tin farther away from the metal of the alternator.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/url]
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:
Thought I'd try and do something helpful, so uploaded this template for the alternator gasket for anyone in the future to use. It's from a NOS gasket from SGKent's stash.

Print it out at 300 dpi and you're good to go with a factory template. I made mine from the link below. Scissors for the outside, razor blade on the inside and drill out the holes for a nice looking gasket. This is factory spec so make sure to give yourself a little clearance on the outside unless you have a perfect steady hand.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-9615MRG-Compresse...per+gasket

I like it better than the original paper thin gasket because it gets the backing tin farther away from the metal of the alternator.

[/url]

Thank you, that's really helpful. I'll try and do the same for EGR and CSV gaskets.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

T-Cash... Gasket Template sticky? or page simply named gasket templates with all of them in one place?
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

I need to add a contribution, here, but am not at home where I have the stuff to add (photos, etc.)

What I can say is that the gaskets I got from Steve Kent actually did not fit well, and I intend to send them back to him (It's in the "to-do" pile.) The holes were not in the right place, and it was a bit of a force fit over the threaded studs in the alternator housing.

What I found worked best was to use the backing plate from the alternator as a template, drawing directly on the thick paper or foam gasket material. That way, you have a guaranteed fit. I made several at once, and I will never have to install another alternator without a gasket.

Also, using a hole punch for the holes is cleaner than drilling.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

You should photo that with a scale to make it a bit easier to reproduce electronically
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

This is another route that people could go. Find three washers of suitable thickness to use as spacers to hold the cover out a bit. Put the washers over the three long bolts on the alternator. Now smear some high temperature silicone along the cover where the gasket would normally sit, wipe the silicone from the areas where the washers will sit against the cover. Let the silicone skin over well but not through harden. Install the cover and tighten the nuts down. You now have a custom gasket that should last for decades.

If the cover is warped and doesn't sit flat an extra washer embedded in the silicone half way between each hole should help shape the cover as it is installed.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
I need to add a contribution, here, but am not at home where I have the stuff to add (photos, etc.)

What I can say is that the gaskets I got from Steve Kent actually did not fit well, and I intend to send them back to him (It's in the "to-do" pile.) The holes were not in the right place, and it was a bit of a force fit over the threaded studs in the alternator housing.

What I found worked best was to use the backing plate from the alternator as a template, drawing directly on the thick paper or foam gasket material. That way, you have a guaranteed fit. I made several at once, and I will never have to install another alternator without a gasket.

Also, using a hole punch for the holes is cleaner than drilling.

two other people told me that then they changed the clocking (rotated or turned over the gasket) and got back to me again saying they fit perfectly once they did that. Those came from VW in Germany and had the correct part number on the packaging so you might try re-clocking them. I plan to redo the bearings and brushes in my own 55 amp alternator in a couple weeks and will check it out.
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

I'm going to be installing a new alternator this weekend.

I already shortened the one bolt and use a smaller diameter washer on the other.

Is there any reason I shouldn't use a cork gasket between the alternator and backing plate to gain some extra clearance?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

Maybe what we need is for someone to repro plastic covers for the alternator.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

THall wrote:
I'm going to be installing a new alternator this weekend.

I already shortened the one bolt and use a smaller diameter washer on the other.

Is there any reason I shouldn't use a cork gasket between the alternator and backing plate to gain some extra clearance?

I don't see a problem with it. The only thing it is sealing is air.

Cut an isolator out of a piece of plastic and install here.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

Does anyone have some good pics of the alternator sealing ring installed or the correct orientation on the alternator? I was thinking about making my own since mine is pretty beat up. I was planning on using a 1/8" thick silicone rubber sheet with a durometer rating of 60-70 (were they originally hard plastic or soft rubber?).

Its for a 77 so the odd shaped one.
kool kombi 79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

Malcolm Engineering Australia is manufacturing the later Alternator seals.

Please contact us for a international postage quote.

https://www.malcolmengineering.com.au/vw-kombi-alternator-seal

Malcolm Engineering
0407 916 816
[email protected]
www.malcolmengineering.com.au
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

55 Amp Alternator Question:
On my original ‘74 alternator, I have a thick (8 gauge?) wire coming off the alternator leading to confusion on what exactly this ties into. On the schematic, I have no visual of such blue wire.
Small blue wire - indicator light
Large red wire - starter 50
Brown wire - ground
Green wire - isssss????

Trying to figure this out, something’s array as I had it hooked up previously with a running bus but resulting in ruining a voltage regulator.

Any insight is wonderfully apprciated.
Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: