Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter noise
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexzeat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Starter noise Reply with quote

Hi

I have this noise when i start the car, it come from the Starter, it is new, i bought it last August.... i dont know what happend, the car start well.. but i have this noise.

Link

Thanks you[/youtube]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter noise Reply with quote

it think it is the sound of the pinion gear spinning after it has disengaged with the flywheel and before it is retracted by the solenoid.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Alexzeat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter noise Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
it think it is the sound of the pinion gear spinning after it has disengaged with the flywheel and before it is retracted by the solenoid.

Solution? New starter?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter noise Reply with quote

If your starter is under warranty you could take it back for exchange, if not you could try a new starter driver and/or lube the starter solenoid. Did you replace the bushing when you replaced the starter? If not, then now would be the time.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter noise Reply with quote

if the starter hangs on the flywheel it can be a sign of several things. I would take the starter back and also check the bushing like Mike suggested. Make sure all the engine to transmission bolts are tight too.
Alexzeat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Starter noise Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
if the starter hangs on the flywheel it can be a sign of several things. I would take the starter back and also check the bushing like Mike suggested. Make sure all the engine to transmission bolts are tight too.

My brush is like it: is ok? or i need change?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Starter noise Reply with quote

looks like a lot of metal shavings in there. Maybe clean it up by wiping it with some hefty paper towels that don't shed, or some old pieces of sheet. Inspect the debris for metal shavings.
Alexzeat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Starter noise Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
looks like a lot of metal shavings in there. Maybe clean it up by wiping it with some hefty paper towels that don't shed, or some old pieces of sheet. Inspect the debris for metal shavings.

I cant see the metal shavings... i dont know. The strange is the noise at this moment is OFF, but if i use the car and the engine is warm, it need more time for turn on, and the noise appear...
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Starter noise Reply with quote

you know now that i hear it again,i think its the flywheel actually turning the pinion faster than it turns itself? you say it happens when hot. the motor starts right up and turns the flywheel so fast that its taking the pinion along for the ride. that may mean that the actuator in the starter is hanging up, which is an internal starter issue. im not too worried about this sound though. doesnt seem damaging to the motor at least.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Alexzeat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter noise Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
you know now that i hear it again,i think its the flywheel actually turning the pinion faster than it turns itself? you say it happens when hot. the motor starts right up and turns the flywheel so fast that its taking the pinion along for the ride. that may mean that the actuator in the starter is hanging up, which is an internal starter issue. im not too worried about this sound though. doesnt seem damaging to the motor at least.

Yes! Im going to change the brush and going ahead with the same starter...

Thanks for your help
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter noise Reply with quote

While you have the starter out, remove the solenoid and use something like WD40 to clean the plunger in the solenoid. Spray and wipe the plunger clean several times, manually depressing the plunger each time. Then use a bit of high temperature grease, like Super Lube to relubricate it. It should be obvious enough how the solenoid and the operating level engage with each other when reinstalling the solenoid.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: