Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnynotch wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Do you have a close up pic of your oil filter mount?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!) Reply with quote

I had expected that the Brother's Machining solution would mean I didn't have to cut anything, but that's not quite the case. The fan shroud will remain unmolested, but the rear engine hanger will have to be notched. At least, it must be notched if you ever want access to the aft fitting with a regular open-end wrench. These pics show the wrench tighter until it hits a pushrod tube, then the wrench flipped to tighten it further (in effect emulating a 12 point wrench)... and you can see there isn't clearance to get it on the hex. So it will need to be notched.

Tightened until the wrench handle interferes with a pushrod tube:

Failure to get the wrench on the next hex after flipping it:

It won't be much, just removing the "lip" on the top. But I want to be able to back up the fitting with a wrench when installing/removing the lines.

The fore fitting presents no interference.
BerT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!) Reply with quote

Buy a correct aluminium AN wrench

Can be bought cheap online

BerT3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!) Reply with quote

BerT3 wrote:

BerT3

Sounds encouraging... do you know what size corresponds to 13/16 inch hex (about 21mm)?
I am finding links for AN wrenches but they are not given in inch hex measurements. I think it's a -7 AN size but I'm not finding those.
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!) Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
BerT3 wrote:

BerT3

Sounds encouraging... do you know what size corresponds to 13/16 inch hex (about 21mm)?
I am finding links for AN wrenches but they are not given in inch hex measurements. I think it's a -7 AN size but I'm not finding those.

Oil lines on VWs are typically AN-8. Occasionally AN-10 on cooler return lines. Nothing beats the right tool.

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!) Reply with quote

Nate M. wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
BerT3 wrote:

BerT3

Oil lines on VWs are typically AN-8. Occasionally AN-10 on cooler return lines. Nothing beats the right tool.

Maybe I'll change out those fittings... the source uses these on VWs all the time, but they are not AN-8; that would be 7/8" and my 7/8" wrench was definitely too large for it. You can see in the photo that my smaller 13/16 fits.
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!) Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Maybe I'll change out those fittings... the source uses these on VWs all the time, but they are not AN-8; that would be 7/8" and my 7/8" wrench was definitely too large for it. You can see in the photo that my smaller 13/16 fits.

The double male AN-8 to 3/8NPT uses a 13/16'" wrench to tighten to the block. Your oil line AN-8 female fitting will use a 7/8" wrench. An AN-10 double male uses a 1" wrench to tighten to the block.

Yours appears to be an AN-8.

Nate M.

Squarsche build

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!) Reply with quote

Nate M. wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

The double male AN-8 to 3/8NPT uses a 13/16'" wrench to tighten to the block. Your oil line AN-8 female fitting will use a 7/8" wrench. An AN-10 double male uses a 1" wrench to tighten to the block.

Yours appears to be an AN-8.

Thanks for the info. External filters are new to me, and I never worked with external cooler, either. I found some odd wrenches cheap that I will try when they arrive. If they can work a full 360 degree rotation then I'm good with what I have. They don't arrive until next week, though. Stay tuned...
BerT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!) Reply with quote

Here is my setup

Bought a lot of fittings before I found the best ones to route it properly

Brother Machine Shop welded bungs with Aeroquip AN fittings

Late case WITH moustache bar

BerT3

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!) Reply with quote

A cheap set of crow's feet will get the job done.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=crow

Nate M.

Squarsche build

Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!) Reply with quote

2194cc - 30mm oil pump

69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!) Reply with quote

Nice work Critter, Just went threw this my self. Did you have to clearance your fan showed. for that 45 off of the oil pump cover?
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!) Reply with quote

This was my solution but still had to do some grinding on the fan shroud.

Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!) Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
Nice work Critter, Just went threw this my self. Did you have to clearance your fan showed. for that 45 off of the oil pump cover?

Definitely a better set up using the AN fittings rather that the brass.

I did have to clearance the shroud some. I'm using a 30mm pump, so that pushes it out there just that much further.

Fuscao72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!) Reply with quote

Hello folks!

I am not new into the air cooled VW hobby but I may say I am a beginner when talking about Type 3. A few months back I have bought from the first owner a 1974 Brazilian made VW Variant 1600. Basically, it is the same as its european counter part and being very true I had no idea how cool could be a type 3!
Surely, I am building a new 82x94 for her keeping the cam ( Engle FK 42), CR of 8.50:1 ( we have 30% of alcohol added to our pump gas ), the carburetors will be a pair of Solexes 34 mm and other things at a safe range. All my life I have heard about type 3 having highier ranges of operation temperatures. Then, the first thing I did was providing a reliable VDO set of gauges ( including a Cyl and Oil temp)in order to monitor the OEM motor. So far, I ain't seen no big deal differences between her and an OEM Fusca (the same as Beetle there), but I haven't faced yet the melting summer climate we have around here sometimes. So, along the already ordered GB oil pump cover that allows installing a full flow oil filtering system I was having toughts installing one extra oil cooler to deal with the extra heat a larger engine will build. Oh yeah, an oil thermostat has been ordered too as in my state the temps vary galore in a matter of days, sometimes it is just hours. Keep in mind the original VW thermostat has been removed from my current engine but I already located and bought a NOS system. Being an USA usual California and others American states visiting guy, I have faced very hot seasons up there and seems weird, at least to me, why nobody talks about hanging an extra oil radiator even in engines with more displacement? Any input will very appreciated and greetings from Brazil. Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
icelancer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!) Reply with quote

racoguy wrote:
Here's my version, didn't like the idea of welding fittings on a brand new unwarped case and wanted something which could be removed completely if needed.
No clearancing of any kind needed on the fan housing, I won't be needing the rear hanger bar but even that could be worked around.
Lower is a ....dare I say it Empi steel cover with a custom stainless pipe and fitting to clear the housing.
Top is a banjo fitting with a custom stanless pipe and a bracket welded between the two for rigidity.

Thats a nice setup. I would pay $$ for a kit like that
SB for squareback or san bernardino....who knows.
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!) Reply with quote

so for type 3 ff version which is plumbed directly into the case, do both the out and return fittings connect straight to the main oil gallery? what prevents the oil just bypassing the filter?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!) Reply with quote

There is a plug blocking the path.
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!) Reply with quote

ah, makes sense. is that something i'd need to fit? never seen it mentioned anywhere in ff discussions.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Full Flow DIY (post your pics!) Reply with quote

They drill it out, tap it, and thread in a plug, I believe.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: