Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel viability
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Diesel viability Reply with quote

I have read so many positive stories on here concerning diesel conversions even I have considered a swap.

Now that countries like France are seriously considering some form a Diesel ban (Pollution?) and Diesel fuel is now twice the price of Petrol in the states I wonder if some of the die hards have re-thought their diesel choice.

I know the petrol price just happened so it might take a few more road trips for the tide to turn, but I see no $/mile advantage currently.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why you have to scare me like that. I get 28 mpg out of the diesel Syncro. I am a fan.
http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_gnd_dcus_nus_w.htm
Diesel has not doubled gas in my neighborhood.
The French are going for it. Looks like there will be a lot of Subaru diesel engines available soon.

"The move could rankle the roughly 80 percent of French drivers who own diesel-fueled cars, but it's the latest attempt to lower pollution levels in France. A proposed plan earlier this summer could cover much of Paris with an 19-mile-per-hour speed limit (30 km/h). There was also a very brief attempt to limit cars from entering the capital by their license plate number."
Crazy.

Last edited by BavarianWrench on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:53 am; edited 3 times in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel economy is only one of the reasons to consider repowering with diesel and actually is the last reason I would. The power and torque is extremely good compared to a similar displacement gas engine. They are very low maintenance compared to a gas engine. They are very dependable compared to a gas engine. You can brew your own fuel. That said, diesel power is not for everybody.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since regular today costs 2.63, and diesel costs 3.33, to fuel my 5 cyl Tdi with 140hp, 213 ft lbs, which gets 23mpg Im paying a 27% premium for diesel. That would be same cost as if I drove a gas vehicle that got 17mpg. In terms of drivebillity on highway a 1.8t with 180 hp, and 172 ft lbs, would have the advantage imo.

Current pricing also means that a diesel that is getting 30 mpg, is paying the same fuel cost per mile as a gas motor that gets 22mpg

IMO, Fuel economy is the primary reason to go Diesel, and at current prices that is not a motivator. The horsepower is too low in a diesel, making it poor at acceleration on highway. The torque is too high, making it destructive to the transaxle.

Diesels make more noise, and vibrate more than a gas engine. And because of the narrow power band, a Diesel really needs a 5 speed where a gas motor is fine with the 4 speed.

Regearing a 4 speed wider, to suit the diesel power band, results in compromises that create shift gaps that are wider than stock. This makes it difficult to find the right gear in some situations, such as uphill at 50-55mph. And requires running higher than stock RPM between shifts.

A diesel also does not like to run cold and experiences excess wear until warmed up, it wants to get hot and run for long periods. A Diesel is not ideal for short trips, running errands around town, parking for an hour, then driving 5-10 miles, stopping again for a while,… as a daily driver gas vehicle would be.

Last edited by Jon_slider on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fruitful question....

Popcorn

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is, I can drive through France without needing to refill my tank Wink
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no ban yet in France and if, I mean IF, it will be for the capitale only!

Of course, for a fee you'll be able to drive in Paris with a diesel, so lets call it a tax instead!
BTW, it is already in place on other big city in Europe....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brandon314159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
. The horsepower is too low in a diesel, making it poor at acceleration on highway. The torque is too high, making it destructive to the transaxle..

I hope this is a joke Very Happy

1969 Type I
1974 Riviera "Zesty!"
http://zestybus.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for diesel.More economical than gas regardless the price, much safer fuel to be carrying a tankful of, I can cruise at 0mph/kph in stop and go traffic even with a 4 gear manual, and I have more than enough power to accelerate up and chances are pretty good I wouldn't get a ticket as no way my vehicle looks like it can speed.

I'm all for diesel. The NUMBER ONE trick is getting an excellent diesel conversion installation. Mr. Diesel knew what he was doing and trust me it's rare for a 'common joe' to outdo Mr. Diesel. IMHO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Canada, Diesel fuel is only a smidgen more expensive than gas. $1.11 per litre on the east coast, gas is $.98 ish. I've done more than 60 diesel conversions and 3 more to do in the new year. To me it's a reliability issue. No more 20-30 year old any thing. I install new everything in the engine room, and drive it like I want it to last. I don't have any troubles, unless I'm pushing the performance envelope. I ran my last monster diesel with more than 30psi boost, and regular EGTs in the 1500f range, I cooked some per-combustion chambers, and I'm sure I took some life from the tranny, but it sure was fun! Plus the flies were never a problem behind me. Smile
I've since sent the pump back to Giles, he de-tuned it, I should have listened to him in the first place, and turned my boost down on my VNT17/22 to 15psi max. Very nice. Just the right amount, feels like a 2.5 Subaru on the flat and merging except will I will pull away from it on the hills.
A good working AAZ or mTDi will 'last' with out the electronic issues. eTDi are great too, very tunable, and in the last few years hydraulic mounts have drastically reduced and NHV issues...
Diesel still gets my vote. Every time. A personal thing that's all. I like all vanagons, regardless how their powered.
Jeff
1990 Vanagon weekender Syncro AAZ
1987 Syncro Doka AAZ...soon to be TDI Smile
2014 DL650ABS Xpedition
1986 Weekender Syncro (Under construction)
1987 Westfalia (Under construction)
1987 Syncro Single cab
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/...-warn.html

It would seem that despite their best intentions, you obviously hate the environment if you drive a diesel.

Neil2

Last edited by furrylittleotter on Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to do a little reading on the subject as I've always had an opinion, but haven't really looked at the numbers...

I always assumed Diesel was easier to make (less refined) so it was the lower polluter from the refining stand point but I was surprised to read this:
Quote:
Making a gallon of diesel fuel requires 25% more oil and emits 17% more heat-trapping greenhouse gases than gasoline reformulated with MTBE. Similarly, diesel requires 17% more oil and emits 18% more heat-trapping gases than gasoline reformulated with ethanol. This means that diesel fuel's advantages from its higher per-gallon energy content and better performance on greenhouse gases are partially offset by the impact of diesel's fuel-production process.
Read more at https://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Diesel-vs-gasoline...OUlVrZk.99

I guess it's application needs to be 25% more efficient than the equivalent gas engine in order to be the same environmentally. Not an unreasonable number to achieve but I had always assumed switching to diesel was a plus in the green category regardless. For the pocket book that's pretty close to the break-even number too. Around here diesel is 20% more than regular today according to gasbuddy.

So, in my mind unless it's an uber-efficient diesel the performance is the main reason to go for a diesel conversion, and you'd have to look at how much more than 20% more efficient than gas you'd likely get, then compare that to the cost of install to see if it's financially worth it...then look at how much more than 25% more efficient than gas it might be to see how much "greener" you might end up.

If you're between 20 and 25% more efficient than gas I guess you just have to know that you are consuming more oil than a gas engine, though you're pocket book might be slightly more full (ignoring the gaping hole the conversion left).

Using 18mpg as a reasonable optimal WBX average, you'd need to see 22mpg out of a diesel to break even financially and 23mpg to break even environmentally using the numbers mentioned above. Jon Slider's numbers look pretty much on the button there. No better or worse than gas, aside from the obvious performance gain and the cost to convert.

Last edited by geo_tonz on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting analysis.

And that's all before the price of gas goes back up. Which it will.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geo_tonz wrote:
aside from the obvious performance gain .

I guess i'm not smart enough to see which engine has the "Obvious" performance gain. Which one are you referring to?

Also, from what little I read, diesels almost always weigh more, that will offset any performance gain (real or imagined), as well as wear and tear on everything and they usually take pricier crankcase oil in greater quantities.

The last quart I bought cost almost $7.

You pointed out a lot of the assumptions I was making. It turns out I was assuming way too much, probably due to the exuberance of the convertors on here.

Neil2
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh well, everyone has the right to their own opinion and freedom of choice and speech, etc.. I can remember when diesel was cheaper than gasoline, will those days ever come again? I think not as more mfgers are bringing out diesel models in more numbers now. I have both, van = diesel and car = gas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
geo_tonz wrote:
aside from the obvious performance gain .

I guess i'm not smart enough to see which engine has the "Obvious" performance gain. Which one are you referring to?

Also, from what little I read, diesels almost always weigh more, that will offset any performance gain (real or imagined), as well as wear and tear on everything and they usually take pricier crankcase oil in greater quantities.

The last quart I bought cost almost $7.

You pointed out a lot of the assumptions I was making. It turns out I was assuming way too much, probably due to the exuberance of the convertors on here.

Neil2

Well I am making the assumption that pretty much doubling the HP and torque from the 2.1L WBX (again, using Jon Slider's numbers above comparing to stock WBX) would yield performance gains. They are heavier motors, but not to the extent that I could see that totally negating the significant power gained. I AM ASSUMING that these numbers have to result in much more jam at the rear end, but perhaps I am mistaken. I don't drive a diesel rig, so yes, I do have to listen to the converters as to results. I choose to interoperate their statements to be reasonably accurate and given that they are frequently backed up with hard data, I choose to take them at face value. Obviously others opinions vary.

Also Castrol Synthetic Edge 5w40 5L is only $1 cheaper than Shell Rotella 15W40 Synthetic diesel oil at a local FLAPS, so the oil is pretty comparable I believe.

Last edited by geo_tonz on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh...if ya have to ask, go buy a Hyundai

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the winter I run straight pump diesel....yesterday I tanked it up it was $2.98 a gallon!!! Thanks gasbuddy (app)!!!!
I have three 3 VW tdi's. Two (2003 alh's), I run with 50% biodiesel in the warmer months (which I am lucky enough to get free). I believe 100% bio diesel is zero emissions.
I loves me my diesels...
I suppose it would be different if I didn't get the bio for free...

My 2014 Jetta tdi wagon gets around 45 mpg (manual transmission)
03 Golf tdi gets around 50 mpg (manual transmission)
87 Syncro with an alh engine gets around 25 mpg (6,000 lbs beast)
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
more mfgers are bringing out diesel models in more numbers now.

Interesting that you mention this…strangely enough every time the manufacturers mention their intentions concerning diesels the number of models and number of total diesels decrease.

And this was before petrol prices plummeted again.

Just a hunch, but I suspect there will be a net of ZERO more diesels in the next 2 years.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4x4BNB wrote:
In the winter I run straight pump diesel....yesterday I tanked it up it was $2.98 a gallon!!! Thanks gasbuddy (app)!!!!
I have three 3 VW tdi's. Two (2003 alh's), I run with 50% biodiesel in the warmer months (which I am lucky enough to get free). I believe 100% bio diesel is zero emissions.
I loves me my diesels...
I suppose it would be different if I didn't get the bio for free...

My 2014 Jetta tdi wagon gets around 45 mpg (manual transmission)
03 Golf tdi gets around 50 mpg (manual transmission)
87 Syncro with an alh engine gets around 25 mpg (6,000 lbs beast)

I also have a couple of ALH TDI's - an 02 Jetta & an 03 Golf. My Jetta is just getting ready to roll over 300,000 miles. I'm getting about 47-49 MPG in it now (I installed a Ryan 6-speed conversion). Before my MPG was around 40 with the auto. The really nice thing is the huge RPM drop with the 6-speed. at 80, my RPM is around 2300.
Anyway, diesels are great. The ALH is the most popular for aftermarket & hot-rodding.
I'm going on my 3rd timing belt & 2 intake cleanings. No VAG COM changes. Really great little diesels IMO. The best thing?. The exhaust smells good with the OEM cat in place

I highly recommend anything with an ALH.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: